Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2015, 08:33 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
This is a value vs cost question. Question is, what do you value? Financial position aside for the moment. We bought our nearly 15 YO MH when it was 10YO. Does solid cherry cabinetry that is older have less value? Is it just as nice to look at now as 15 years ago? Does newer have intrinsic value to you? Does the 15YO Aqua Hot keep you less warm than the 5 YO furnace? Does the craftsmanship of the DP (if any) have any value? Amenities?

Money. If you have to replace the cooling stack on a side radiator MH with Charge air cooler because of age, can you afford $4k for the radiator and $3k for the CAC and $2.5k for labor? Do you want to afford that? The beauty of the Cherry cabinetry dims in a $10k puddle of antifreeze.

JMHO

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleary View Post
Please tell me where I can by a 5 year old-$400,000 DP for $80,000. They may be out their but I bet they are few and far between.
My reading of the OP suggests that the Foretravel is five years older than the Newmar, and the Newmar is a 2005 model. A 2000 Foretravel for $80K is possible.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Let me sum this up with a simple answer: If you have a large income or lots of money then buy the BEST used RV you can afford. In the end you can't take it with you as there are no pockets in those boxes. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #46

If you have to replace your over-worked gasser engine after a 90 or 100k of service--everything will be "dim"---just saying [smile]
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #47
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Go with the older high-end DP, you'll never regret it!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Few weeks ago I sold my 38ft Newmar gasser, and purchased a 40 ft Newmar diesel. Yep, we are real happy with our new purchase. With that said, let me talk about why we changed. #1 we are getting older, and the bath was in the back, if you wanted to use it going down the road you had to crawl over the bed. #2. I am 6'2 at 240 lbs. my wife is small, our old rig had a short queen bed, never a great nights sleep. Our new unit has a king size bed, and a mid coach bath.

A motorhome of either type is "a hole in the road you throw $100 bills thru as fast as you can". With a diesel the cost to fix something is significantly higher than gas. Especially a used rig for the first year or two. If you get a quality brand the fix it cost go down with time, with a cheapee brand those costs never go away.

We stayed at the same campground as the high dollar units. We had the same basic HVAC, stove, refridgerator, TV, radio, water heater etc. the engine was different. I went over Colorado mountain passes towing a toad at 15 mph, while the DP did 40 mph. How many mountain passes are you going to go over in a year?

Lastly, if your financial situation is such that you plan to full time RV on Social Security, which is possible I guess, I would hope you keep the $30 K. You WILL need it at sometime in the future. And believe me, RV depreciation is the worse depreciation I have ever experienced. So the more you spend, the more you will lose over time.

Gas gets you from point A to point B, so does a diesel
The basic creature comforts once you arrive are the same.
A gasser is cheaper:
Fuel cost
Oil , filters, maintenance items
Insurance
Chassis parts, engine parts are cheaper

P.S. I had more outside storage in my gasser. The DP has more inside storage.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #49

If my funds were limited, I'd stick with the gasser. And I'd sacrifice size for newer and better condition.

Over the long haul, I would argue the DP will be nicer and (if you drive a lot of miles) far more comfy to cross the country. But in the arena of "things that *could* go wrong" upfront the DP might catch you out. And that would worry me enough on a limited budget to take the enjoyment out of the DP's nicer features.

One semi-compromise would be to consider the Winnebagos built on Workhorse's UFO/R26 platform, a gasser with the engine in the back. I've driven one and the comfort of the drive -- and the interior -- is very much DP in nature (although you don't get the nice things like lowering the coach when you get to your destination, nor is it a rip-roaring hill climber, but it gets the job done). And from what I've seen, you can get them in your budget if you negotiate hard.

Steve
Old 05-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #50

Short answer: this statement is not correct. Modern gas engines last way over 100,000 miles. When GM introduced the 8.1 gas engine, I believe they claimed a service life of 200,000 miles in RV use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
If you have to replace your over-worked gasser engine after a 90 or 100k of service...
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:52 PM   #51

...good luck on the 200k thing .....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:20 PM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well see the stuff that a simple question starts!! Too funny - every time this question is approached same stuff.

I'd love a DP but prefer to not spend the funds for a new one or to spend the $s to maintain an older one.

Our brand new profile RV meets every single one of our of our wants, needs and comfort. It wasn't inexpensive and we could have purchased a fairly nice used DP. But!! didn't want the risk of facing fairly expensive repairs. Our gasser RV handles great, the Ford V10 is a real workhorse. Is it noisier than a diesel - under load uphill? YEP. We drive lots of miles and we don't regret it in the least.

We made our choice based on our wants, needs and $s. You will need to do the same. But dang - how I love the positional inputs. Too Funny!!!

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob View Post
"If today, one goes with the older high end coach, is he getting a $30,000 better coach based on today's value, or is he getting a $300,000 better coach, per original costs? How do you personally feel about it? "
1. Fit and finish
2. Quality of everything around you
3. Sustainability due to a higher quality of material used in construction, appointments, interior/exterior finishing
4. Something build with higher quality material and constructed with higher standards - IF MAINTAINED PROPERLY AND CONTINUALLY - will tend to remain at that level. The reverse is also true.
4. Braggin' rights - if that matters
Old 05-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #54

On the Ford engine the spark plugs are good for 100,000. There are a lot of buses and truck running around with way more than that. It has been talked about before.

FWIW I would not argue that a 15 year old DP will have more corian, solid wood, aqua hot, automated systems of all kinds than a 10 year old gasser. The point is that every one of those systems is a potential cost to repair because the are there and they have 5 more years of wear and tear on them. The simpler systems in the gasser are built as well as in the DP but are often easier/cheaper to maintain or are simply not there to be fixed. If one is on a tight budget a DP is no prize as far as ownership goes.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #55

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW I would not argue that a 15 year old DP will have more corian, solid wood, aqua hot, automated systems of all kinds than a 10 year old gasser. The point is that every one of those systems is a potential cost to repair because the are there and they have 5 more years of wear and tear on them.
Actually, when you get to ~15 years old you get to just before lots of automation was introduced to MHs. Our Beaver has lots of quality features but it lacks the computer-controlled lighting and that sort of stuff that became popular a couple of years later. One remodeler of ours was extolling the benefits of having switches that actually are hard-wired to the lights they control! If you like all that jazzy stuff then you won't like our coach, but it sure is reliable and we sure like it!
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #56

Ford Super Duty Owner
Saw the cost impact yesterday in a 2006 Patriot Thunder Beaver. Beautiful RV BUT several $1000 to fix control units and replace electrical system components that were lost in the process.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a