Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Haven't seen the Newmar 40' tags (or any other recent coaches under 42' with tags), but I'd worry that you'd be trading weight for space.

Every time the subject of tag vs. non-tag comes up, someone (probably a non-tag owner!) is quick to point out the basement space you "lose" with a tag. I've always contended that's a non-issue, since most tags are 42' and up, vs. non-tags 40' and lower. So essentially, a 42' tag has about the same basement space, but way more CCC, than a 40' non-tag. For us (43' tag Mandalay) that's meant more than enough space AND weight capacity. But if we lost 3 feet of length (and basement storage) by dropping to a 40-footer, I'd actually have to learn how to pack! Think of it this way -- you'd have a 40' coach with loads of CCC, but the basement of a 37-38-footer. Yes, lots of folks travel happily, and even full-time, with that much space, but your experience may vary.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Having owned a 39'6" coach single rear axle FL chassis and now 43' coach tag axle Spartan chassis has provided insight into both rigs. A few state parks will not accommodate either rig but you would hard pressed to get a 30' TT or 5er in to these areas. Just plan ahead! IMHO tag is the only way to go!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a 40' non tag for 10 years, 42' tag for 6 months. Both Spartan Chassis, the tag drives much nicer (10 year newer steering components), rides much nicer (again, 10 year newer unit) but the stability towing Full Size SUV or 24' trailer is so much better. The tag has aquahot so lost a full compartment for this, but you must make a choice that suits your needs. I have never had an issue with either unit for staying in a park or my route, again, it depends on how you will use the unit and your preferences. Good luck with the decision!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
39.6 for 5 years, 43 for 8 months. Not really fair to compare, but could never go back! Two different rigs and two different price ranges. The places that won't allow a 43 ft would be the same places I wouldn't want to park my 40!!
As mentioned, get the coach that works for you but you will likely never hear the words, "I wish I never bought a tag".
Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought a 40' Newmar DSDP (4090), then we found that it actually measures 41'-3". Have never had a problem that that "extra" 1'-3" caused other than the CA restrictions. But even that wasn't a real problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
All tag owners love tags; all single axle owner's love singles...get the floor plan the D/W wants and all will be well.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Like many said it depends on your primary use. We haven't had any real issues,the 2 campgrounds that could not fit us in next to our camping party(kids and grandkids) we just rented 2 spaces back to back and had plenty of room. The tag is wonderful tho.We're not fulltimers so we pretty much know where we will be staying at.jmo
Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think the tag vs non-tag is like the gasser vs DP. once you get it you would not want to go back. I would LOVE a tag, but we bought a 40 ft DP for what we could afford to pay. I would have to make payments to get the tag.

I don't have a tag, but I lust for one. If you can afford it, get it. The places you can't get in will be very tight in a 40 ft also. I shoe horned myself into some spots this year, probably shouldn't have been in those spots either.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #23

Get a tag axle and all the plus points that go with it. Better ride, better braking, better carrying capacity, and never having to worry about being overweight.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #24

There's a little more to it than just two more tires and feet. You also get two more brakes, extra fresh water capacity, more grey and black, usualy another AC, bigger generator. We gained two pass through's and a king size bed that you can actually walk around. Two bathroom sinks and a few more things over a 40ft. I liked our 40fters very much but our 42ft tag is better for us. To me, I think a tag coach just looks better. Get what works for you.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #25

Most WalMart parking spaces are twenty feet long, making the doubles perfect for a forty footer. A forty two might force you to stay in a campground.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Most WalMart parking spaces are twenty feet long, making the doubles perfect for a forty footer. A forty two might force you to stay in a campground.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Must be a campground owner that thinks he's losing revenue.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Quote:
lol... 42 footer owners' pockets are deep they don't go walmart
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote