Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2007, 06:56 AM   #15

Wow! Thanks so much for all the input. I'm so excited.....I'm ready to go NOW! I wish I could twinkle my nose and have everything sold and the MH in the driveway!

To answer some questions:

- We are both retired Air Force, getting ready to full time in a year or so.

- I want to be able to visit "most" campgrounds, including state parks, etc.

- The plan right now is to go places and stay put for at least a month, usually longer and do day trips around the area.

- We are looking to buy used. Based on all the great stuff on this website, we are looking at Tiffin, Monaco and Newmar.

Thanks again for all your help and hope to meet you out there someday.
bravesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2007, 07:56 PM   #16

We just attended the Newmar FullTimers rally in Hermosa, SD prior to the International rally that we are currently attending. There was 55+ Newmars there and I would say the majority was 40 ft Dutch Stars and Mountain Airs.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #17

If you live in California, you will need a special drivers license to operate any MH over 40 ft. I was at a Newmar dealer last week, and they had an '07 43' Dutch Star left over. He said that if it was a 40', it would have been long gone. He told me the the special drivers license requirement really limits the sale of anything over 40" (CA)
John95683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #18

I read a lot of posts about size over the past year before we eventually bought our first ever Motorhome. We never had never owned an RV of any kind in the past. After one month I think the following statements hold true.

1) Once parked you can't have a coach large enough.
2) When driving smaller is better.

I think it is also true that... A tag axle makes driving smoother, but takes basement space. As a newbie driving is a bit intense the first few days but for me not so much because of length but the width.

good luck

2007 Foretravel Nimbus
joppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jOHN95683:
If you live in California, you will need a special drivers license to operate any MH over 40 ft. I was at a Newmar dealer last week, and they had an '07 43' Dutch Star left over. He said that if it was a 40', it would have been long gone. He told me the the special drivers license requirement really limits the sale of anything over 40" (CA) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure that's correct, at least if I'm looking at the right code. The California DMV website lists 45' as needing a special endorsement. I would think a 40' or 42' would be no problem as far a licensing goes.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:07 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bravesfan:
We are in the deciding stage of buying a MH. I've occasionally seen discussions on sticking with a 40ft versus anything larger due to campground issues, not being able to fit, etc. Could I get some feedback on that? Is it something we really should consider? Thank You. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Private campgrounds are usually no problem, but some state and county rv parks can be another story. They often suggest maximum lengths of 28'-30', but this suggestion is usually based on the MH sitting on paved area. Longer MH's frequently can still fit due to the long rear overhang and the front and rear tires are on pavement.

I have a 34 and a half foot long MH but can easily park in a lot of 30' spots. I had a 31' MH before this one and due to the shorter overall length and shorter wheelbase, never had a problem. With this one, I've had to give up a few favorite spots and even one favorite campground.

Keep in mind that those same parks may not have nearly as many spots that can take a longer length and on weekends the 'really big boys' have already gotten those spots.

Another issue to watch for is older rv parks weren't designed for a MH with all of today's slide-outs, especially when you have slides on both sides, and the rv space is narrow!
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote