Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2007, 09:12 AM   #1

We are in the deciding stage of buying a MH. I've occasionally seen discussions on sticking with a 40ft versus anything larger due to campground issues, not being able to fit, etc. Could I get some feedback on that? Is it something we really should consider? Thank You.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:12 AM   #2

We are in the deciding stage of buying a MH. I've occasionally seen discussions on sticking with a 40ft versus anything larger due to campground issues, not being able to fit, etc. Could I get some feedback on that? Is it something we really should consider? Thank You.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
California has restrictions on where anything over 40' can be driven.

One thing that I would recommend is to rent a motorhome for a few days and give it a try. You will quickly find your likes and dislikes.

Oh, and welcome to iRV2.

Ken
Old 06-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There are states in addition to CA that may have some highways where anything over 42' is restricted ...and I think the maximum length for combined vehicles in any state is 65'. If you are towing a vehicle behind the MH, you need to beware of that limitation too.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome bravesfan to irv2.
Some good answers so far good luck in your quest for your MH.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:19 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
bravesfan, welcome to our website and forum. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Good luck in your quest for the right coach for you and we hope to meet you in person one day in one of the campgrounds. Take care and have a great summer.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:48 AM   #7

Bravesfan

Welcome to IRV2. Tell us what your camping experience is as well as what type of camping do you plan on doing. If you want to camp mainly in state and govt parks, anything over 40 gets to be a hassle(sometimes over 30 feet). Do you plan on living in the coach full-time? Are you retired and plan on doing long trips or just short trips. Are you planning on getting a new coach or a used one? These will help in answering your question. s/Toby
Old 06-23-2007, 05:31 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Welcome bravesfan!

Many good replies so far, but these questions can be difficult for you to answer if you have not RVed before.

You may decide you like the fancier RV resorts where a 45' coach is not a problem, but some state and national parks can be too small for a 40' coach

Some campground advertising is "optimistic" in that "big rig sites" are in the eye of the beholder.

Many campgrounds are older and therefore not all that easy to get a larger coach into.

Not to discourage you, but some of us find we are RVing a bit differently than we imagined.

The bottom line is, smaller coaches will be able to go where a larger coach cannot go.

In the end it's personal preference.

Sorry there's no clear cut answer.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #9

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it...

Why would anybody want, or need, a motorhome over 40 feet? Besides the obvious problems of finding campgrounds able to accommodate you, the lack of manouverability, the amount of fuel needed to push a rig that size, I would think that anything over 40 feet would be just a major headache--even for fulltiming.

Maybe I'm wrong, and just my humble opinion, but as I get older I find I want to simplify my life, not make it harder.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:40 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Obviously we all have our opinions but you will have to decide. We started with a 32' rig then traded for a 36'. We don't full time and I have found the 36' ideal for our current use. It is maneuverable, fits in most places we have wanted to go, but provides plenty of space for the two of us.

That said, we'd both like a larger shower in our next rig and maybe a bit more space in the bedroom area (a three slide rigs vs. our current 2 slide). If I was shopping again now for another rig, I'd probably look at 40' rigs but not sure I could justify anything longer.

Longer coaches (42 and up) with the tag axle seem to be gaining in popularity. Folks who have them indicate they provide a more stable driving experience and, of course, you can haul more weight.

Consider your intended use, how many folks will be sleeping in your rig, what kind of space you'd like to have, then drive rigs of various lengths. Have fun shopping...its only money
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:24 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why would anybody want, or need, a motorhome over 40 feet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's all personal preference.

Some like the larger living area and larger CCC.

Some like the amenities and gadgets on the higher priced coaches.

Some only go to resorts where the 45' length is not an issue.

Some like the looks of the 45' coaches.

Some couldn't imagine owning a smaller coach.

Some have more disposable income and buy more expensive toys.

We are all involved in RVing at different levels.

To each his own!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:13 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
My wife of 40 years knows I have a real knack for leading us off the beaten path . . .

Does a city have a "bad" part that requires a quick get away? I will inadvertently find it!

Will what looks like a good "short cut" turn into gravel or dirt or mud? That's the route I'll choose!

Can unanticipated road construction require a "u-turn?" I'll be the first to the blockade!

I'm sure glad our little Winnebago View, with its Sprinter chassis and very tight turning radius, keeps me from looking so bad! An added benefit is the toad clears both corners no matter how tightly I turn the View!

Whew --- give me anything more and I'd be the one blocking y'all on your next trip
Old 06-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #13
cwg

Amen, Dirk, and a good answer for many of us who have longer rigs. I have had ten Class A's so far, ranging from 32 feet to the present 45 footer.

I can't imagine having one shorter now that I have experienced the larger motorhome. And for those of us who spend an appreciable amount of time over the winter in one location, the larger area gives us more space to live in nearly like an apartment. Parking accomadations have not been an issue thus far; but I am sure if I only wanted to stay at Corps of Engineer parks or some state parks, I would have to reconsider.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #14

We had a 40' MH and now have a 45' MH. We haven't had any significant problems finding campgrounds for either MH. The only campground we wanted to stay in that we were too long for was Jumbo Rock in Joshua Tree. A 25-30' would have been good there.

The 45' does drive better because it has a tag. It is affected much less in windy conditions. It has a ton of storage space.

Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote