Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2016, 05:23 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I suspect that the force of the ground has bent the cross members that the "house" is attached to. Trying to reconstruct that would entail starting all over in the build process. IMO, it is totaled
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 07:48 AM   #16

Leaning could be simple thing like bent up linkages between leveling valves and axle or frame.

The tires have great strength and pressure so they punch through the mud but the leveling valves being not load supporting ate likely to be more delicate in mounting and general structure.

I would check each one of those first and seek some measurements from factory regarding mountings to confirm if straight or bent then adjust as required to see if unit then stands correctly.

Body panels or door mounts likely bent sub frame parts as suggested by others.

One suggestion is if manufacturer still in business is return to factory for repair as they have all engineering documents and built it to begin with.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:31 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Photo #3 probably has the best explanation. Look how the coach sides have been lifted and the paint lines don't match. Your chassis frame is probably OK, but the house is built up from a flat floor frame attached to the chassis. The coach sank so far in the mud to the point that the wheels were no longer supporting the chassis. Instead, the bottom of the basement contacted the ground and transferred the load to the floor frame, which wasn't designed to hold that weight. My money says the floor frame bent up. I highly doubt it can be repaired without considerable expense.

Just my thoughts. Good luck!

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #18

Hire an independent inspector that deals with MH, pay them and take insurer to court if they won't settle. Depending on how the wrecker hooked up to get it out from sunk in the Mud could also had a twist to it, if he was pulling on it with the floor still sunk and didn't lift it clear would be like parking it next to a 3 foot wall and forcing it by, not good.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkc10boom View Post
Yes, I was really surprised at the adjusters change. Absolute 180. He had been to my house when the mh was here and took pics. He took pics after I drove it to the dealer. He seemed very proactive calling the dealer repair shop at least a couple of times a week and calling me to see if I knew what was going on. He said he was going to stay on them until they did something. He says he went to the shop several times because he had other rv's there. He even told me the service manager told him they needed more business because the added onto the shop. I am pulling my hair out. I don't understand their purpose in dragging their feet
I suspect he realized it's a write off after he got the final assessment. Probably more expensive to fix then scrap.

Get an independent adjuster to evaluate the situation.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:58 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
I suspect that the force of the ground has bent the cross members that the "house" is attached to. Trying to reconstruct that would entail starting all over in the build process. IMO, it is totaled
I agree with Ernie and others.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #21

Thanks

I want to thank everybody for their advice. I am certain I will be back for more as things develop. I really don't know what is going on between the insurance company and the repair facility, because neither one will return my calls.
Again, Thanks for all of your help.

Fish
Fishkc10boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:52 PM   #22

Ok, I now have the adjusters supervisor looking at the motor home. He is willing to give a little more, like replacing the drivers side windshield as well as the passenger, and it was already broken. He said he would pay for the slides to be adjusted but not rebuilt. The slide has come off the track. he ignores me when i say I think the coach is twisted. He told me that the floor was soft where the main slide is, which I had never noticed. he said looking at it the plywood was rotting. but he said that was normal wear and tear and would not pay to have it fixed. also the rubber seal on the back edge of the slide was gone and water had probably gotten in that way. I never noticed a seal gone or any dampness. He said that was from age, because it was an old mh. he is making it sound like he is really gonna make it work. I think he is just dazzling me with diamonds while he feeds me bull s***. Now that i think about it he said the wood was moldy. I am very allergic to mold. If there was mold under the carpet I would have known it. hmm. As far as the coach leaning so badly to the left he said again old age. It leans so far that you can see the top of the tires on the right side with several inches between them and the wheel well. on the left the tires are up in the wheel well by a couple of inches. It wasn't like that when I parked it. I never had leaky air bags or compressor/tank. So this is coming down to my word against theirs. And believe it or not I don't have any pictures of it that clearly show it sitting level. just parts of it mostly from the side on trips. I think I am really screwed. any ideas out there??
Old 09-13-2016, 10:15 PM   #23

Is the insurance adjuster bs'ing me?

This is a continuance from my previous thread. 42' diesel pusher possible bent frame, Help!
Ok, I now have the adjusters supervisor looking at the motor home. He is willing to give a little more, like replacing the drivers side windshield as well as the passenger, and it was already broken. He said he would pay for the slides to be adjusted but not rebuilt. The slide has come off the track. he ignores me when i say I think the coach is twisted. He told me that the floor was soft where the main slide is, which I had never noticed. he said looking at it the plywood was rotting. but he said that was normal wear and tear and would not pay to have it fixed. also the rubber seal on the back edge of the slide was gone and water had probably gotten in that way. I never noticed a seal gone or any dampness. He said that was from age, because it was an old mh. he is making it sound like he is really gonna make it work. I think he is just dazzling me with diamonds while he feeds me bull s***. Now that i think about it he said the wood was moldy. I am very allergic to mold. If there was mold under the carpet I would have known it. hmm. As far as the coach leaning so badly to the left he said again old age. It leans so far that you can see the top of the tires on the right side with several inches between them and the wheel well. on the left the tires are up in the wheel well by a couple of inches. It wasn't like that when I parked it. I never had leaky air bags or compressor/tank. So this is coming down to my word against theirs. And believe it or not I don't have any pictures of it that clearly show it sitting level. just parts of it mostly from the side on trips. I think I am really screwed. any ideas out there??
Old 09-13-2016, 10:28 PM   #24

Only if you lived near the Everglades.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:05 AM   #25

wonder why insurance hasn't totaled that coach. from all the description, rebuilding that will cost a lot. ---even if it can be repaired
Old 09-14-2016, 05:10 AM   #26

has any tech looked at the ride height valves? They control the level of the coach. You have 3 of those
Old 09-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #27

If you could find a level spot to park I think I have thought of a fairly easy way to determine if the body is twisted. Get you a 2' plastic level at Lowes for about $10 (or even a 1 foot torpedo level) and check for plumb-ness on each corner. Find a flat vertical surface as close to the front as possible above the cargo doors and put the level up against it vertically (note the position of the plumb bubble in relation to the marks). Then go as far back to back as you can and repeat the measurement. If it is not twisted these measurements will show the bubble to be in the same relationship to the marks (both ends leaning at the same angle). You could repeat this exercise on the other side and it should give you the same info. If it is not twisted, then I am betting their is a simple fix to get it standing straight (i.e., ride height valves, suspension adjustments, etc.).

You really do need to have some definition to your problem so that you can make a winnable argument to the adjuster. Of course, it appears he may write off any evidence of a twist to age, but knowing it is twisted and thinking it may be twisted would make a big difference in negotiations.

Good luck and God bless!
J. Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #28

American Coach Owners Club
I would not give up! It took 3 different adjusters before we finally were offered a fair price & in the end they didn't go with any of the appraisals because we were always one step ahead of them & were NOT going to take a such a big $$$ hit Find out what your rights are & what the laws are in your state concerning insurance & totalled vehicles. Just because they said it's not covered or won't be covered doesn't mean it's true. If you didn't have mold and moisture in YOUR coach before fight for your rights. Any pics,recent trip receipts to show it was drivable , the company that pulled your coach out of the mud, an independent adjuster & mechanic to confirm it's totaled would be what I'd do asap! They need to prove it was wear & tear & you need to show it wasn't.
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, frame, insurance