Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #43

Who is your Insurance Company?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #44

I don't know why everybody is piling on to the op. The insurance refused to pay for the proper extraction.

Whether it was damaged by the truck or not, it was the insurances choice. The tow truck company may be absolved but the insurance company is not.

The motorhome is a write off and the company knows it but they will do everything in their power to avoid paying. It's SOP for them.

I would say you reached the end of the line with them. Get an independent evaluation and send a lawyers letter. Then file.

They will settle right after you file. Stop hoping for a fair settlement or having the rig repaired, it ain't gonna happen.

My sympathies are with you.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:27 AM   #45

What he said.

Me thinks the party representing the insurance company deciding to not use the "factory trained extractiin" and instead just using a wrecker was both careless and likely not in any way properly trained to make such a call.

Likely a desk driver who crunches numbers and did just that...This is cheaper than that and the damage could not be much...It is just stuck in the mud after all and we do this all the time...

Your insurance would have been on the hook if freight liner damaged it as well but here they ate "prime contractor" and responsible for all damage done by subcontractors.

They need to cover the damage done by extraction then go after the tow company.

Get legal assistance maybe or start calling your state consumer affairs folks.

If the extraction company needed to tie their rig to a tree to get you out they HAD THE WRONG RIG !!!

Get the system to help you if needed.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripo View Post
I don't know why everybody is piling on to the op. The insurance refused to pay for the proper extraction.

Whether it was damaged by the truck or not, it was the insurances choice. The tow truck company may be absolved but the insurance company is not.

The motorhome is a write off and the company knows it but they will do everything in their power to avoid paying. It's SOP for them.

I would say you reached the end of the line with them. Get an independent evaluation and send a lawyers letter. Then file.

They will settle right after you file. Stop hoping for a fair settlement or having the rig repaired, it ain't gonna happen.

My sympathies are with you.
Who left it in the dirt for the winter? The OP is the victim now?.....Yep, lets get a Lawyer involved, will the Insurance pick up the tab for the Lawyer? No, they will make the tab bigger, Book smart vs Common sense...
Old 09-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #47

We have some of the hardest clay I've ever seen. We have had record rainfall this year, so much that my in ground swimming pool came up out of the ground.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #48

Op did a stupid thing and has insurance for that...sort of.

Issue here is the handling of events by the insurance company to reduce their expense that may have caused additional damage that should be covered independent of the policy that covers the original loss.

The sinking into the ground likely did little if any damage.

The improper recovery actions likely did the Lions share of the damage so target needs to be on that company.

Since the insurance company paid them then it gets sticky.

Legal action may be needed but a call to consumer affairs from state may give proper guidance to which actions to take and to what services they provide.

The wrecker should have liability and it may be easier to file against them.

Video would help and freight liner who originally was going to extract it could provide information to support incorrect process by wrecker to justify claim against them.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:29 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Op did a stupid thing and has insurance for that...sort of.

Issue here is the handling of events by the insurance company to reduce their expense that may have caused additional damage that should be covered independent of the policy that covers the original loss.

The sinking into the ground likely did little if any damage.

The improper recovery actions likely did the Lions share of the damage so target needs to be on that company.

Since the insurance company paid them then it gets sticky.

Legal action may be needed but a call to consumer affairs from state may give proper guidance to which actions to take and to what services they provide.

The wrecker should have liability and it may be easier to file against them.

Video would help and freight liner who originally was going to extract it could provide information to support incorrect process by wrecker to justify claim against them.
How can you say the tow company did the majority of the damage ? It was listing to left in mud for ---- HOW LONG? It really does not matter he want the ins. co to ether FIX IT IN A TIMELY MATTER or SETTLE ! The ins. co should not be dragging there feet for 8 mouths ether way. They shouldn't be (he said she said ) for this long PAY UP !!!! you do know they would cancel you in a minute if you were late for that ins. payment ..
Old 09-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #50

We do not know the tow company did all of the damage...

Some may be wear and tear and some may be from resting on mud and other from incorrect process of extractiin.

But we do know the insurance company has most likely made one to many poor choices and likely compounding then by making more.

The worst of it is there are likely loop holes in the regulations where if insurance company does dome action the clock if one exists resets thus allowing them to create the delays.

If the damage ( or whatever damage was done by) the tow company in the effort of extraction that is the sole responsibility of said tow company.

If the op signed a release then tow company STILL MAY BE FULLY RESPONSIBLE!

If the tow company did not follow proper procedure and due to that or incompetence then the release is worthless.

Legal advise is warranted as insurance is stonewalling by tossing out bad responses.

If the floor was rotted due to it standing on the mud then if the policy covers that loss so be it but if that loss is not covered then any discussion of rotted floor is relevant.

It is suspected that the process of extracting the unit from buried in the mud may have caused damage.

All parties need to focus solely on that.

If there was additional policies in place to cover the other losses then those are secondary.

Again due to what the insurance company is doing legal advise may be best next step.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:34 PM   #51

I had a conversation with the adjusters supervisor who went and looked at the mh on his own. He said the rot and mold was my fault because of a bad seal on the slide. There is about 4-6inches of the rubber torn to shreds at the aft upper corner of the slide. The paint on that corner has been scraped off too. I don't know why he thinks it is a maintenance thing i should have done. that is the direction the slide is tilted. It is lower on the back end, causing the top corner to be mashed into the frame. Each time it has been looked at, sliding it in and out it scrapes more and tears more. He told me it only needed adjusting but again I said the repair shop say to repair it the slid must be taken out and rebuilt. It is obvious that the slide has not been off the track or out of adjustment very long, or the scraping as well as the wood trim rubbing on the inside while it travels in and out. The damage, scratches, and wear would be a lot worse. Then I guess I insulted him, repeating what he told me that he had never driver or ridden in anything that big. I said a short course in how to look up repair costs on what he thinks should be done does not make him more qualified than the mechanics/technicians that have 20+ years of experience doing this. Then he got mad, I had insulted his integrity, so after his fit on the phone, I apologized. I told him I value my integrity too. And I feel like they are saying I have been negligent in maintaining my rv. It works fine and used and maintained regularly one day. It was set up for winter because I didn't think we were going anywhere else til spring. We decide of a quick surprise thanksgiving trip to my father in law and I find it in the mud. Now things leak, don't look right or feel right. The compressor for the air bags runs on and off every few seconds, it leans, belly doors are jammed. I called in the claim in December and it was not pulled out until end of February. It has sat out in the elements, record rainfalls almost every month this year, and somehow it is my fault that things are rotted, molded, doors and slides don't fit properly which allowed the rain in. My motorhome just looks sad sitting in the lot with all the others. I am sure some of you know what I mean. You look at it and is sits low, leans, plastic and duct tape waving in the wind. Inside it is musty, there are cob webs, and dead insects on the floor. Just sad. It has now been elevated to the Manager over the supervisor. We'll see what happens now.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #52

American Coach Owners Club
Get your own independent appraiser/adjuster. Anything they can do to bring the "settlement" down, they will do. Lawyer will help too. If the claim was made in December did an agent come out right away? Seems to me if a coach is tilted & buried in mud up to the basement doors, water intrusion is inevitable. Hell... Water gets in when it's upright & sitting pretty. After the first offer from our insurance company, I nearly choked it was sooo low. I then got angry & started doing my own homework, getting my own comps, learning the insurance laws in our state... Also found out that most of these agents/adjusters know NOTHING about motorhomes which is extremely aggravating but works in your favor. Don't wait for them, start gathering proof of the condition of your coach before & after, get an RV mechanic to check it out & give him the background in info. Get all your ducks in a row while you're waiting to "see what happens".
Old 09-17-2016, 11:50 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Who left it in the dirt for the winter? The OP is the victim now?.....Yep, lets get a Lawyer involved, will the Insurance pick up the tab for the Lawyer? No, they will make the tab bigger, Book smart vs Common sense...
Hate to burst your ballon but won 2 cases. Most times they fold when you file.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:28 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
This has gone way to long, and the damage that has happened after the fact, (since Dec.) is all on the insurance co. including the cheap tow out of the mud! You are a way more laid back guy than me, for sure! You need to do what you are asking us to confirm, Get a Lawyer! Rail!
Old 09-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #55

I know, I retired from the USAF with a tbi. I am on lots of meds to slow down the misfires in my brain. i used to be much more aggressive and quite arrogant. My wife never went to car dealerships with me, but I always got a good deal. I've been called an a$$ by more than one person. But I got things done, always the youngest in every position i held. made rank every time first time. Now because of the meds I am docile, kinda numb to the world. Unfortunately people catch on to that and take advantage. It Sucks.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #56

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkc10boom View Post
I know, I retired from the USAF with a tbi. I am on lots of meds to slow down the misfires in my brain. i used to be much more aggressive and quite arrogant. My wife never went to car dealerships with me, but I always got a good deal. I've been called an a$$ by more than one person. But I got things done, always the youngest in every position i held. made rank every time first time. Now because of the meds I am docile, kinda numb to the world. Unfortunately people catch on to that and take advantage. It Sucks.
You need to get as pi$$ed as we are about your situation! Be an A$$!!! 😉

Tags
diesel, frame, insurance