Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 05:57 AM   #71

It's clear the slide popped out of the track when the body was torqued by pulling it of the hole. The kicker is that was their decision.

1 guess what they will say.....

They are looking for a way out, I can't believe you can tell anything by pulling out the slide at this point, especially after all the weather damage. This is a red herring and they will use it as their final excuse.

I agree with the idea that you should contact the state commissioner, better business bureau, and anyone else you can to apply pressure.

I also think you should have it inspected by a professional, nothing says you have to tell them you are doing this or release the report to them.

I would get a lawyer right now for the advice on how to proceed and collect evidence but only file when you reached the end with them.

Everything tells me that they have no intention of settling after a year, especially with this BS line on the slide. It clearly popped out when it was dragged out of the hole.

As to the value of the rig, use Nada or comparables, whatever is to your advantage.

Best of luck!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #72

A lawyer is needed here for advice and not action.

As others stated it could hinder things if they act but they can advise as folks here are of actions to take and how to fight the bs.

Time has caused damage that insurance is claiming your fault.

Check with building department or local university folks to see if there is any way of evaluating the material to determine how long it has been impacted and if it was existing how the new changes effect it.

An engineer could say that yes you had some weather damage to some degree but upon the new damage the additional impact caused the extensive damage.

Imagine a well traveled tire that works just fine but near end of life.

Someone does something that causes it to fail but claim it was worn out so no loss...processes in place to pro rate that so there should be something here.

If there was a water stain before and rotten floor now due to the shifted slide that resulted from a bad tow....

Seek a lawyer who has a background in engineering or whatever trade would apply and seek some advise.

Pay for it and keep it quiet from insurance as you are not required to tell them.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
I would recommend contacting your insurance commissioner. In North Carolina this is very effective way to get action, and free. If they can not resolve the issue then go the legal route. However, if they can not resolve this to your satisfaction, legal action may not be any more productive. They should advise you as to your best, or only, course of action once they have investigated the claim. It is certainly worth a phone call to them.

NADA puts your value in the $40-50K range. Total loss would be my guess. I would settle for anything above $35k and move on, rather than have a botched repair job.

Actually the State Insurance Commissioner is really "pre-paid" through property taxes, not free, but that's really kind of semantics. Your State Attorney General's office is another great resource, but in your case, I would go through the State Insurance Commissioners Office first.

I have used the State Insurance Commissioner on four occasions, twice in North Carolina, and twice in Kentucky. Awesome people! Super quick response, and if you case if valid, which it sounds like yours is, INCREDIBLY FAST RESPONSE! All three situations resolved in my favor, the longest one took about 2 weeks. Two of them had the companies saying, well, we won't admit we did anything wrong, but we'll just settle for what the consumer is "asking for" (read demand) out of the goodness of our hearts!

I really didn't CARE why they settled, only that they did.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:12 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Actually the State Insurance Commissioner is really "pre-paid" through property taxes, not free, but that's really kind of semantics. Your State Attorney General's office is another great resource, but in your case, I would go through the State Insurance Commissioners Office first.

I have used the State Insurance Commissioner on four occasions, twice in North Carolina, and twice in Kentucky. Awesome people! Super quick response, and if you case if valid, which it sounds like yours is, INCREDIBLY FAST RESPONSE! All three situations resolved in my favor, the longest one took about 2 weeks. Two of them had the companies saying, well, we won't admit we did anything wrong, but we'll just settle for what the consumer is "asking for" (read demand) out of the goodness of our hearts!

I really didn't CARE why they settled, only that they did.

You are right about it not being "free". I should have posted it as "at no additional cost".
Old 10-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #75

Fishkc10boom, I live in Greensboro, NC. If I can assist in you with this let me know. Not a good idea for me to get directly involved but I could get you information like:

Is your rig parked outside the shop or is it inside being worked on.

Maybe take pictures if it would save you a trip here.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #76

Update 10/28/16

I spoke with the insurance adjusters supervisor yesterday he told me that they had once again looked at my coach and this time he had a very different tone he told me on the phone that they would pay for slide to be examined what they wanted was the repair shop to cut the floor out of the cabinet they wanted to look at the back wall. In the event the tiles were broken they would replace the tiles or all of the tiles if they couldn't find a match. Same thing with the carpet that has mold stains on it now it when there where none before and he said that the repair shop says they do not want to do it now that it was going to be too lengthy of a process as well as very expensive and they were no longer willing to work on it even though they've had it at the shop for more than eight months. I talked to the RV service manager today and he basically backed up the same thing that they had decided that it was just not worth their time they had many other jobs and this is going to take too long too many man-hours and they did not have the room to keep an RV in one bay for that long and they were not equipped to handle a slide that large. It's much heavier than any of the new ones he said and if it were a Newmar or something like that they would send it back to the factory. So now I'm stuck with nobody knows where to send it. Insurance still won't talk about any kind of settlement, totaling it or anything like that. They wanted me to find another RV place which I have no idea where I would find an RV shop that could handle something that big. If anybody out there has an idea please let me know, its a 2000 model Safari Serengeti 42 foot I believe the slide is 16 feet long it is very heavy built very sturdy. If anyone he has an idea where i could take it let me know, I live in SW Oklahoma. Right now I'm almost at a year stuck without an rv making payments on it, and the insurance co has no solution in sight.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:22 AM   #77

It's not up to you to find the repair shop. That's the insurance companies job. The current repair shop has basically told you and apparently the insurance company that the coach is not economically repairable. (that means TOTALED).

You've already been given the best advice possible, get your State Insurance Commissioner involved. It's at no additional cost to you besides the taxes you've already paid, and they get results FAST! If you haven't done so, what are you waiting for?

I don't mean to sound callous here, but you keeping asking for advice, you are getting GREAT advice, and are apparently refusing to take any of it?!?

Not sure what more anyone here on the forum can do to help you.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #78

Final Update

Just wanted to let everybody know problem resolved. The repair shop just decided a few weeks ago the job was just too big for them, after having for 8 months. The twisting of the coach caused so many leaks, and they never did anything to protect it. Insurance said they found someone in Kansas that could do the work, anyway... I sat down and figured up how much they were spending because they had gone from $1500 to $10000 to we will pay anything. I told them if they could give me what i wanted out of it just to total it. So they totaled it. It's over, Finally, somebody made a decision. I should have asked for more because they gave me exactly what i asked for too easy. but I feel that it was fair.
For those of you telling me to get an attorney, I have had one for quite a while but I discovered months ago someone at the dealership or the insurance co. found this post. Too many things were said that could have only come from these posts.
I didn't want people thinking I was ignoring their advice. Every bit of it was helpful, Thank you all.
I was all about timing. And I think the advice from this site helped nudge whoever was sneaking around here to get moving.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #79

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I'm glad this ordeal is finally over for you.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #80

Many folks fail to remember that anything posted anywhere is considered a "discoverable document" and often they make loose statements while frustrated only to have them discovered and taken out of context.

Good for you that you can move on but cannot make up for lost time.

Hopefully everyone has learned a few things most importantly is getting everything in writing signed by someone authorized to make that call.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:10 AM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow, that is good news! Happy for you that it is over! Now the hunt for the new coach!! If you are going to look for another one right away? If so, good luck! Rail!
Old 11-22-2016, 02:59 AM   #82

Good to hear your situation is resolved!
Thanks for letting everyone know.
One less thing to be stressed about!
Old 11-22-2016, 10:01 AM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkc10boom View Post
Just wanted to let everybody know problem resolved. The repair shop just decided a few weeks ago the job was just too big for them, after having for 8 months. The twisting of the coach caused so many leaks, and they never did anything to protect it. Insurance said they found someone in Kansas that could do the work, anyway... I sat down and figured up how much they were spending because they had gone from $1500 to $10000 to we will pay anything. I told them if they could give me what i wanted out of it just to total it. So they totaled it. It's over, Finally, somebody made a decision. I should have asked for more because they gave me exactly what i asked for too easy. but I feel that it was fair.
For those of you telling me to get an attorney, I have had one for quite a while but I discovered months ago someone at the dealership or the insurance co. found this post. Too many things were said that could have only come from these posts.
I didn't want people thinking I was ignoring their advice. Every bit of it was helpful, Thank you all.
I was all about timing. And I think the advice from this site helped nudge whoever was sneaking around here to get moving.
Congratulations on having the issue settled. Kudos to you for accepting a fair settlement.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:17 AM   #84

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Congratulations on having the issue settled. Kudos to you for accepting a fair settlement.
What wasn't fair however, is the time and aggravation leading up to it.

Tags
diesel, frame, insurance