Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #1

I need help with a problem maybe one of you have an answer for me. Is it possible to dump the air in order to lower the coach so that the satellite dish will clear the RV Barn door opening. I have been told that when you dump the airbag it activates the automatic leveling system and that the bus can not be driven. Thanks for any help.
0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #2

I need help with a problem maybe one of you have an answer for me. Is it possible to dump the air in order to lower the coach so that the satellite dish will clear the RV Barn door opening. I have been told that when you dump the airbag it activates the automatic leveling system and that the bus can not be driven. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #3

I forgot to mention it is an allegro bus.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
It depends on how your air system is configured. Most are capable of being dumped. Cautions: Driveline angle may be critical and do not turn the steering wheel while moving because there will probably be no wheel well clearance for the tires to turn without damaging the coach body.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #5

Thank you, I did know about not turning the wheel. I just need to clear the barn door and planned on being straight. Any Allegro bus owners that may have an answer for me? Thanks agin Fleetman.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:37 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Your 42QRP is equipped with the HWH 625 series auto-leveling system. Normally if you press the Auto button, the air bags will drain and after a short wait, the jacks will come down and auto level the coach. When you press the Store button, the jacks retract and the air bags fill.

However, there is also a Dump button on your HWH controller. If you press this button your air bags will dump without bringing the jacks down. When this happens the coach will squat down on the frame and you will have a lower overall height. This will change your driveline angle but not appreciably. If you are just backing into a stall you'll be fine. The main thing to remember is to line the coach up perfectly with your garage stall before dumping the air. Tiffin doesn't have a whole lot of clearance between the fenderwell openings and the tires. If you try to turn the wheels when the bags are dumped you'll be rubbing those tires on the fiberglass and you'll be missing some paint at the least or fixing some fiberglass at the worst.

In order to refill your air bags simply press the Store button again. Even though your jacks are up, this will send the Dump/Fill solenoid valve to the Fill position so that your bags can reinflate.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:33 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
O

I'm just curious how you got the MH into the barn? Did you install the dome in the barn?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
O

You could also let about half the air out of the tires to lower the overall height of the vehicle as truckers sometimes do to go under bridges/obstructions.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:02 AM   #9

I seem to recall a FL rep saying that the air bags would begin inflating it the transmission was shifted from neutral to drive, even if the Store button had not been pressed. I suppose the same would apply to reverse. How long it takes them to raise the coach is the question -- if you dumped air just before the SAT dish entered the barn, would you have enough time to complete entry? Maybe you could experiment with an observer at hand...

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:22 AM   #10

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Why take a chance...modify the barn a one time safe fix.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #11
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I had a simular problem and simple dug out two trenches for the tires- dropped the coach 6 inches.
Make sure you have the clearance under the coach with the air out. Or simply dig out the floor.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #12

I had the same problem with a 42 QRP. I raised my door header height by 6" instead of lowering the air...I thought this might be a problem down the road... Buy the way, the length is longer than the spec. also. I have to fold my mirrors back to close my roll-up door.
d-rab is offline   Reply With Quote