Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2015, 05:31 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Many great posts on this subject !
I have learned that often the decision is about what do you when
you use the "camper". If you travel a lot, then the Motorhome is
infinitely more comfortable to travel in than sitting in a pick-up truck.
But, if you go to a spot, and spend a months at a time in one place, then
the 5th overs more room for the money without question.
The motorhome is certainly easier to back up, and towing a vehicle
four down is a very quick and simple connection process. My 12 year
old grandson can hook or unhook in five minutes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 05:39 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Dogpatch - you make many valid points for changing to a 5er. We all know these decisions are personal ones and no matter which one you make it will be good for you.

Don't forget. Many of the good memories are made sitting around the campfire with other like minded people. Does not matter what you sleep in after the fire is extinguished for the evening.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Owned most of them

In 40 plus years of RVing I have pretty much owned them all from pickup campers to Diesel pushers. We are on our 6th motor home. I have had 3 5th wheels and liked everyone of them. The last one being a 37 ft Jayco Designer with everything. Climbing all the steps to the bathroom from outside was a chore for my DW. So we got a 2012 Denali TT everything on one level. What a mistake. Switched back to a class A and down sized. took a $17K hit. I Will never go back to a TT or 5th wheel. We are a lot happier with a class A. For most I believe that once you have a Class A diesel or Gasser, it would be hard to go to a TT or 5th Wheel. They all have good and bad points. Its what makes you happy that counts.
Mel
Old 08-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #18
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
If the type of RV purchasers bought was based on cost, nobody would own a Class A. At this point in my life, I'm more concerned with what I'm going to do with my purchase and if I'll enjoy it. Cost is way down the list of what is important.
Everyone has their story. This was just mine.
I'm not retired and only have 5 weeks holidays a year. A coach in my yard is a waste with what I have to spend to maintain it and keep it.

And trust me, I have enjoyed my coaches and their amenities and have loved driving them. For me it's just the cost at this point.

I can go anywhere in a truck and 5er that I can in a coach and I'm sure I'll enjoy having the additional living space and the extra cash in my jeans.

On retirement, we'll likely go back to a Class A.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The cost of a trailer and truck vs a class a motorhome was the main reason we got the motorhome! We wanted as much fresh water capacity as we could afford and when looking at RVs we found that a trailer with a lot of water capacity and a truck big enough to tow it was going to cost more than the motorhome we purchased. Now that we have had our motorhome for 10 years we would never go back to a trailer. We like the floor plans of motorhomes, everything on the same level once inside the rig, the ease of setting up at the campsite, and being able to grab something to eat or drink while traveling or if it's raining without getting wet!

Some people say they don't like the idea of towing a car behind a motorhome, and that they would rather tow a trailer behind a truck. Well I've done enough of both to know I'd rather tow a car behind the motorhome. We don't notice it's there without looking for it, believe me, I always knew the trailers were there when towing them with a truck.

There's more than these reasons for preferring one method over another, what it comes down to is what's best for you! Good luck and have fun deciding what way is the best way for you!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
We had two 5th wheel trailers and I loved them both. Hubby wanted a motorhome so we could tow our boat. (Which he has never done) I was resistant at first, but we found one we both liked, a Rexhall 33 ft DP, at a great price, and have not regretted the choice one bit. There are pros and cons to both options, it depends a lot on what you will be using it for, how frequently you will be using it etc. my hubby's brother and his wife have a 45 ft 5er and are regretting the purchase because it will not fit into the campgrounds they want to take it to. So consider where you want to be camping at and will it fit or not (that's advice is for the both 5er and the MH.)
Old 08-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #21

Had a 35' class A, bought a 42' toy hauler, went back to a 36' Class A and feel Im home again. for me the motorhome is better all around and anything over 40 just does not fit well where we camp. I also feel the motorhome is a lot easier to use and set up.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #22

We had a 3912 triple axel Keystone Raptor Toy hauler. Had it for many years and made lots of memories. Kids loved it as did our friends (slept 10 easy). Now kids are in college and we have a DP. The DP sleeps the 2 of us and our dogs. Kids hate it as they have to sleep on the couch but with them in school they don't travel with us much. Point is, I would never go back to a 5th. Everything is easier in the DP. Unhooking or hooking up the toad in 3 min. We can fit in more sites as we drop the toad when we pull into the park.
I am not a mechanic but I do all my maintenance and enjoy it for the most part.
Life is short so do what makes you happy as for me, the ease of the DP far out ways the negative.
Enjoy
Old 09-03-2015, 07:34 AM   #23

American Coach Owners Club
For you newbies out there you don't need $20,000 in tools when you own a MH. The same tool box I had in my 5wh's made the trip to the MH and I can assure you for it's probably less than $700 and I do most of my own work.

Now we like to travel and sight see so a MH with a small toad fits us perfectly, turned my wife from a so-so camper into an enthusiast.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #24
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
If the type of RV purchasers bought was based on cost, nobody would own a Class A. At this point in my life, I'm more concerned with what I'm going to do with my purchase and if I'll enjoy it. Cost is way down the list of what is important.
Ditto that.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #25

Just did the same and wouldn't go back to the hassles of the 5r.

HR Ambassador 38 PDQ 360DP
Old 09-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #26
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdinatl View Post
Just did the same and wouldn't go back to the hassles of the 5r.

HR Ambassador 38 PDQ 360DP
What hassles do you speak of?.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:43 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My MH sets up in 10 min. Wife helps unhook the toad. We move around a lot traveling. Backing is a breeze with her help and cameras. Gotten several compliments.
5ers set up in 20 min. if they can back up. TT's never less than 30.
She restrooms anywhere, I just pull over in a large enough space and are back on the road in 2 min. We eat on the fly. Or pull over to enjoy an A/C or heated and microwaved lunch. Our large inverter keeps coffee/microwave/residential refrig. going on the move.
Bought a new MH so I did not buy some else's problems. None so far. I do my own maintenance saving thousands. Next oil change $90, (got the tools) not $200-400. and 15-20k miles.
Setting aside slush fund just in case there is something I don't want to/can't fix. Did not buy extended warranty (dealer wanted $9-14k).

Tags
motorhome