Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2007, 03:06 PM   #1

Hello

I would like to find a lot of pro's and con's to purchasing a 43' vs 40' Coach. I presently have a 38' and want to upgrade.

I.E. 43'
Pro Living Space
Con Getting into smaller
tighter spaces, traveling back
mountain roads.

Then the same for the 40'

I hope to get a lot of input from a lot of members as this is going to help me make my decision.

Thanks

Maggie (Siberian)
JJ Simba05 FLSTCI02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2007, 03:06 PM   #2

Hello

I would like to find a lot of pro's and con's to purchasing a 43' vs 40' Coach. I presently have a 38' and want to upgrade.

I.E. 43'
Pro Living Space
Con Getting into smaller
tighter spaces, traveling back
mountain roads.

Then the same for the 40'

I hope to get a lot of input from a lot of members as this is going to help me make my decision.

Thanks

Maggie (Siberian)
JJ Simba05 FLSTCI02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jimmy,
The bike is for traveling back mountain roads. A 40+ ft coach is for getting you from CG "A" to CG "B" over Interstate highways and maybe a Federal owned 2 lane road or two. It seems every coach we got was bigger than the last. My wife says our requirements have grown. I say they have groan.

Now to the point. The ride should be a whole lot better. Longer wheel base and a tag axle does it for me. We have found that the bigger we got there were places we just didn't go anymore, with the coach. It doesn't bother me at all. With the toad in tow, I can go anywhere I want. The coach has now become a traveling home in every sense of the word. I do not expect it to take me to the same places the 26 footer took me in 1978. I've never had a problem getting into/out of a site, with the current coach. We do not stay in CGs that can not accomodate 62 feet of coach and toad. I am more concerned with the CG roads and turns than I am with their sites.

I you're considering a 40/43', conisder going to a 45' coach. That is what I am in the middle of now. I just can't see jumping from a 39' coach to 40 or 43'. For the $s spent the value is not there. The 45' coaches, now that is a different story.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #4

43 cons - a tag axle and too long for a lot of parks.
I find my 40 a little long. I went from a 34 to a 40. I think a 36 would be ideal.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We made those moves. From a 33' gasser to a 40' DP, and now to a 42' DP. And, we're very happy we did.

When we had our 2004 40' Allegro Bus we started to think about a 42' tag axle coach. During the last year or so of owning it I paid attention to campsites as far as having enough room for a larger coach. I found that 95% of the time we could easily fit a 42' coach in the same site as a 40' coach. The couple of times that we couldn't, all I had to do was park the Jeep sideways in front of the Bus rather than end to end. So, no real drawbacks in that area. As a side note, going to a 45' coach would change those odds and I'd say we'd probably lose about 1/3 of our sites. However, this all will depend on what kind of places you go to. Many nicer RV parks can easily handle a 45' coach while the smaller state parks basically eliminate you at 35'. We tend to stay at middle-of-the road RV parks most of the time so that's what my findings were based on.

Other pros and cons:

A 40' coach has a single axle. With quad slides and the latest bells and whistles, solid surface countertops, solid wood cabinets, and full ceramic tile you start eating into your cargo carrying capacity. My 2004 Bus had over 5,000 lbs CCC but it was a 2 slide and wasn't as loaded up as the newer ones. Many of the current 40' quads have a little over 3,000 lbs CCC and the rear axle weight needs to be watched. Our 2007 42' (actually 42.5') Bus has everything, including residential 21 cu ft fridge, washer/dryer, dishwasher, etc. With the tag axle we have in excess of 9,000 lbs CCC and there's no way I could ever haul that much unless I start hauling Lucille Ball's rock collection.

The tag axle gives you an awesome ride and takes stability, especially in cross winds and 18 wheeler bow wakes, to a whole new level. It's like riding on rails. Plus, the IFS and automatic tag dump make this thing just as maneuverable as our 40' Bus.

You also get a couple of more feet of interior room over a 40 footer.

One possible drawback is basement storage space. Whenever you add a tag axle, it eats up close to 4' of basement storage space because you can't put any cargo storage compartments in that area. So, in theory, if you want the same basement storage space you need to go another 4' longer, not 2'. Seeing as how they don't make 44' coaches you either have to go down to a 42-43' coach (usually they are all 42-1/2 feet give or take so a coach that's advertised as 43' probably isn't any longer than one that's advertised as 42') or up to a 45' coach.

In our case we really liked the Allegro Bus 42QRP floor plan and features. Going up to a 45' Zephyr didn't appeal to us. While it was a nice coach, the decor and floorplan of the Zephyr just didn't appeal to us. Plus it was another $100 grand which put it out of our league and we weren't ready for a 45' coach yet so that worked out really well. I had our 40' basement packed pretty tight and was concerned about loss of storage space. When I looked at the 42' Newmar and Country Coach offerings I wasn't impressed with the smaller basement storage. However, we were pleasantly surprised with the way Tiffin laid out the 42' Allegro Bus. They only offered the 42' Bus with hydronic heat, which is what we wanted anyway. By doing this they reallocated the space normally used for the hot water heater and dual propane furnaces as storage and designed the basement area around the hydrohot system. This gave me the same amount of basement storage as my 40' Bus, if not more, so I had no loss of basement storage space. Whichever brand you choose, be sure to look at the basement storage space to see if it'll work for you.

The only other drawback I see to an "over 40" coach is a legal issue. 40' coaches can go anywhere but there are a few restrictions to anything longer. If you want to go to Zion Nat'l Park you can't go through the Mount Carmel Tunnel, you have to go around and approach the park from the west. Also, California has a few roads, mostly in the Sierras, that do not allow anything over 40' on. Check out the California Bus and RV Restrictions Map and Website for details on where these are.

Other than the possible loss of basement space and a handful of over-40 road limitations I really don't see any problems with a 42-43' coach. If you want more details and pictures of a 42' Bus, check out a review I made of a 42' coach at This Link.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote