Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2017, 05:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Individual risk tolerance. Tire failure on a driveable RV can be catastrophic as compared to a towable. Blow a front at highway speed, well we've seen the videos and the end result. Blow a rear and the potential for damage to a support system or below floor storage area is pretty high.
I agree a blow out can be bad. But I wonder with all the stories of blow outs how many were hitting something in the road and not knowing it? Or any other multitude of things that can happen to even a brand new tire?

At what point is it over kill? Every other trip new tires?
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2017, 05:41 AM   #16

I just spoke to my buddy that has the big excavation business he stocks a lot of tires. He is going to work me up some numbers to take these for his trailers and install all new tires. I uses exclusively Firestones for all his rigs. If the numbers work out I might go ahead and just change them out. He is not a fan of GoodYears at all. Luckily these are a very popular size he can use.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:47 AM   #17

Simple answer I use is go by what the tire manufacturer recommends. Why use wild a$$ guesses, unfounded, undocumented, convoluted self propagating scare tactics guide decisions. Using the same logic I have seen expressed on when to replace tires and applied it to other catastrophic failures I would be worried sick about brakes failing or tie rod ends coming off, or ball joint failures or wheel bearing failing or ...... The manufacture has a huge liability issue at stake so when they say 10 year replacement time, as Michelin does, you know they have put a lot of engineering and expertise in that recommendation.

But, it's your money and if it makes you sleep better at night knowing you spent a lot of money to keep a mythical event from happening then go for it and rest well.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Simple answer I use is go by what the tire manufacturer recommends. Why use wild a$$ guesses, unfounded, undocumented, convoluted self propagating scare tactics guide decisions. Using the same logic I have seen expressed on when to replace tires and applied it to other catastrophic failures I would be worried sick about brakes failing or tie rod ends coming off, or ball joint failures or wheel bearing failing or ...... The manufacture has a huge liability issue at stake so when they say 10 year replacement time, as Michelin does, you know they have put a lot of engineering and expertise in that recommendation.

But, it's your money and if it makes you sleep better at night knowing you spent a lot of money to keep a mythical event from happening then go for it and rest well.
I have to agree caution is prudent for sure but when does it end? If I can swap these tires out for a reasonable amount I might err on the side of caution mainly because one of our first trips is going to be a big one. We have a couple smaller shake down trips planned to push her a little to see what happens before taking the big one.

I believe by bringing this coach in for that good once over we have all ready avoided two major issues right from the start. The trans cooler developed a leak right after we bought the coach. On the road this could have been a cooler and a transmission, ouch! Then we found the Fuel lift pump rotted out leaking fuel right onto the exhaust. I don't have to tell anyone how that could have turned out.

So we did take some good preventative measures from the start here.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
I have to agree caution is prudent for sure but when does it end? If I can swap these tires out for a reasonable amount I might err on the side of caution mainly because one of our first trips is going to be a big one. We have a couple smaller shake down trips planned to push her a little to see what happens before taking the big one.

I believe by bringing this coach in for that good once over we have all ready avoided two major issues right from the start. The trans cooler developed a leak right after we bought the coach. On the road this could have been a cooler and a transmission, ouch! Then we found the Fuel lift pump rotted out leaking fuel right onto the exhaust. I don't have to tell anyone how that could have turned out.

So we did take some good preventative measures from the start here.
That is an excellent age old question that applies to everything we have in life. We all have to make that decision every day. No wonder I'm so tired.

Be safe, be happy and make someone smile today
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by churd9 View Post
I was a Sr vehicle technician for FedEx for 30 years now retired .we used Goodyear tire exclusive on all of our equipment. We recapped all of our tires and Goodyear warranty our casings for 10 years . Our steer tires were capped on virgin casings the rest were capped many times. Hope this puts your mind to ease

.....I have no issue with Goodyear tires, but I would think Fed Ex like most big companies that can afford to buy volume will try to get a deal by buying a particular brand and will continue to do so if the tires are not posing any higher risk than another though realize again, what Fed Ex does with their tires is totally different than RV use.....if a Fed Ex truck is sitting still for a long period of time, than they are not making any money where if an RV is sitting for a long time it's either in storage or the RV'r has found a great spot and is maximizing is down time.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
.....I have no issue with Goodyear tires, but I would think Fed Ex like most big companies that can afford to buy volume will try to get a deal by buying a particular brand and will continue to do so if the tires are not posing any higher risk than another though realize again, what Fed Ex does with their tires is totally different than RV use.....if a Fed Ex truck is sitting still for a long period of time, than they are not making any money where if an RV is sitting for a long time it's either in storage or the RV'r has found a great spot and is maximizing is down time.

WDK

Goodyear is the only tire company that can handle the volume no one else could supply that many tires
churd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #22

Quote:
I would assume the issue would be dry rot. Can that even be tested for? The outsides that visible are perfect.

My experience they can look perfect and still go BOOM. It's the throw of the dice.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #23

I contacted Goodyear...........now that was fun.........and totally useless.

The essence of it is. No company, expert or individual can determine if and when a tire will fail there are just too many variables even in controlled environments. All they can do is give recommendations based on those controlled environment.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:32 PM   #24

Quote:
I contacted Goodyear...........now that was fun.........and totally useless.

The essence of it is. No company, expert or individual can determine if and when a tire will fail there are just too many variables even in controlled environments. All they can do is give recommendations based on those controlled environment.
SO........

Did you pry a 'recommendation based on controlled environment' out of them

3, 5, 7, 10
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
SO........

Did you pry a 'recommendation based on controlled environment' out of them

3, 5, 7, 10
Was not able to get much info on anything. They are pretty versed in what not to say. Sounds like the attorneys have spent some time with the CSR's.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
My experience they can look perfect and still go BOOM. It's the throw of the dice.

Yes there is a X-ray process to tell the condition of a casing but i never heard of anyone using it to tell the condition and return the tires to use they use it before they cap a tire
churd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:57 PM   #27

Tire bargains

On the subject of tires, I have Goodyear 255 70R 22.5 on a 2006 Holiday Rambler with only 19,000 miles on it but I plan to replace the fronts this season and the rears next season. I have studied tire prices and see the Michelin and Goodyear tires costing $650 whereas Dunlop, Yokohama, and Hancook tires of the same size are less than half that price. What alternates have you all discovered to the higher price mainline tires and are you happy with the ride, handling, and wet traction of a cheaper tire?
Thanks
beboboy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a coach with ~9 year old Goodyear tires. They looked great. Less than 20k miles on them. The PO was super picky in this care of the coach. I was planned to replace them. Took the coach on a couple nearby weekend's trips. Blew one of the rear tires about 100 miles from home at freeway speeds. The TPMS did let me know when it blew up. (-:

Luckily no other damage to the coach. This is an important point to note - that a blown tire can cause damage to the RV. One guy list a tire and it ripped into a compartment with electric components - had to tow the coach because it would not run. Big bucks to fix the damage I am sure.

All this said - I start looking to replace RV tires at ~7 years.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote