Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #1

44' Storage Shelter

I am looking at this structure and thinking it might not be a bad investment when compared to the hassel of putting on a cover etc. Has anyone had any experience with one of these? How do they weather? What about wind?

Shelter Logic 44'L Peak Style Garage - Product - Camping World

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased a 40' metal shelter for just a few dollars more than this. Guarantee you that it will last longer than the fabric covered shelter. Also had a rear wall with door opening plus sides coming down to about 4' of ground. This would keep the sun off.

Wouldn't think a 44' shelter would cost over $1000 more than the fabric one. Check prices.

burfurd

Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
We have had a 12x12 at our gun club.

I'm not impressed as it has tears in it and we'll soon be pitching it.

I agree with the metal cover.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Might verify if one of these is even permitted in your jurisdiction. My local building code enforcement office has a drive-around agent on the lookout for these so called "temporary" structures.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 12x50 canopy that I built with fence pipe and fittings purchased on line at a total cost of about $1500. The first three tarps I bought were poly and they each lasted less then a year in the Florida sun. I finally sprung for a vinyl tarp that has lasted two years and gone through two tropical storms. My suggestion is to make sure any canopy type structure you buy or build has a vinyl covering since I threw away over $400 on the poly tarps.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had 4 of these fabric shelters over the years. 3 of them have been made by ShelterLogic.
These are very well made fabric shelters that are very weather resistant. Please note they can be damaged and I will list my specific experiences below.

The first shelter we had was built in Canada. Size was 10foot by 36foot and about 10feet high. We used it to store our Pontoon Boat and Trailer. It used what appeared to be standard electrical emt conduit for framing and a lightweight cover (less than 9ounce. It didn't look too sturdy but it lasted about 18 years. It finally came down from snow load during a difficult winter here in New England a couple years ago.

We purchased 2 smaller ShelterLogic units a few years ago, one for the Kubota tractor and one to store the sportscar for the winter. The one with the Kubota tractor is still up (about 7 years). The one for the sportscar came down in the same winter storm as the first shelter. (yes, it did about $4000 damage to the sportscar).

The newest ShelterLogic unit is the same one you are looking at. It has only been up for one winter so far. It is 40 feet long and holds our pontoon boat. Our DP is 41 feet so it sticks out when we park it in there.
So far this unit is doing fine, but now I make sure to clear any heavy snow load off of them during the winter.

In summary; these work great, but they are not perfect and are no replacement for a real garage.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One other quick note...
ShelterLogic also makes a cheap $300 product called GarageInABox. These appear to be very cheaply made to hit a very low price point. Do not judge the ShelterLogic unit you are looking at by any reviews you see about the cheap GarageInABox.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #8

I Have a 42' metal carport from Carports.com. Not too much more than a fabric cover. Been up 3 yrs now. Just survived Hurricane Sandy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1732.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	28567  
Old 10-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru499 View Post
I Have a 42' metal carport from Carports.com. Not too much more than a fabric cover. Been up 3 yrs now. Just survived Hurricane Sandy.
Where in Tuckerton, I am 3 miles north in west creek. Would like to see your car port.

thescooterbob@hotmail.com
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Metal for similar money
CARPORT.COM Metal Carports, Steel Garages and Barns FREE Installation!

Fence material frame + tarp cover for less money
Tarp Canopy Carports for Cars, RVs and Boats
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru499 View Post
I have been looking at carports.com. How wide and tall is yours and what is the material you have on the ground under the cars and motorhome? Can you give an approx cost for the cover and installation?
stevieptcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been pleased with my Shelter Logic outdoor structures - although as other posters have noted, the tarp like fabric does wear out over time. I think we got nearly 5 years out of these shelters. Both shelters made it through other heavy storms, Hurricane Irene and the heavy snow winters from a couple of years ago

One is a 20' Garage tall enough for a car ... well was, and the other a 16' Greenhouse. Both will need new covers after Sandy. I think that if I were looking for an RV Shelter, I would price out a metal structure, given that you'll most likely have to replace the Shelter Logic cover at some point *but* I do like that the Shelter Logic covers have zip down doors on both sides

Another OP started a thread about his CoverIt (a shelter logic brand) that lost its cover during Sandy Death of the "Cover-It"

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieptcb View Post
I have been looking at carports.com. How wide and tall is yours and what is the material you have on the ground under the cars and motorhome? Can you give an approx cost for the cover and installation?
I put asphalt under the carport. Also, since that pic was taken, I brought the enclosed sides all the way to the ground. What you see in the pic are the free "sunblocker sides" that they include with purchase. They lasted about 18 months. I think I have about $6200 invested which included installation but not the asphalt. They have several levels of quality available. Mine is the top level with the a-frame roof & vertical seams. It is 24' wide, 42' deep, and 12' at the eaves. My coach is 12'6".
Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #14

If you have access to used material it can save a lot. I built mine for about $3000.00 including lights and exhaust fan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3526.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	28688   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3555.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	28689  

Tags
storage