Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
454 chevy fuel problem

Hi, I have a 1991 Fleetwood bounder 32 ft on the P-30 . It has the 454 chevy with throttle body fuel injection , Banks power pack ,us gear duel range . I've had it for a year now it's always ran like a top . All fluids just changed , belts all 1 year old all in all a solid truck . last weekend we loaded up for a much needed break made it 3 miles and it stalled and would not start ! Of course this happened on a fri. night at 5 o'clock on the busiest road in the pocono's .got pulled off the road. checked everything out throttle body not getting gas , had son in law bring gas an hours passed now. gauge says 1/4 tank but gauges can be wrong so I pour in 5 gals. it starts . I drive 1/4 mile to gas station try to put in 200.00 bucks worth it only takes 107.00 but fuel gauge says 1/2 tank. I drive it around parking lot for 10 min. it's not running right . so I head home maybe 3 miles away make it 1/2 way and it dies AGAIN .call road service have it towed the next mourning I changed the fuel filter.then took it for a ride 2 miles it seemed to run fine. got the wife ready WE'RE GOING TO THE SHORE!!!! went to start it same thing no fuel !!!!! anybody got ant idea of whats going on ???? Any help would be GREATLY APPRECATED !!!! THANKS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #2

Sounds like a fuel pump. You should put a gauge on it and start it up and let run (if it will) and watch it.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The TBIs had an odd fuel psi, if I remember right - I've only done one TBI project, but I think the fuel pressure was like 10-15psi. Above carb pressure, but below port-injected EFI pressure.. The fuel pump must be made for TBI.

I agree -check fuel pressure...
Old 07-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #4

here is one .. way off though here

some of the ECMs tell the fuel pump to come on buy oil PSI

i have seen some guy replace every thing to find out a bad wire on the oil sending unit was bad

if your oil psi has been playing games lately this well sure help but most likely its not
Old 07-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I had a 1990 Winnebago / Chevy P 30 chassis. The in tank fuel pump has a filter sock on the end of the fuel pickup. This filter can become plugged over time and will cause the problem your having. You will need to drop your tank to replace the fuel pump and possibly modify the fuel pickup tube so that it is not right at the bottom of the tank. Also when reconnecting the fuel lines to the tank, make sure you mark and reconnect them correctly. One fuel line goes to your generator and the other goes to the engine.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
some of the ECMs tell the fuel pump to come on buy oil PSI
That would shock me. You'd need to crank it for several rotations just to establish oil pressure, then you'd wait for fuel. It'd shock me even more on a Chevy where the oil pressure spec for "allowed" pre-rebuild is probably in the high single digits at idle.

The only place I've seen something like this is the hour meter for aircraft... Switch on the oil pressure sender to track "engine running" hours.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #7

GM has always had a problem with fuel pumps! Keep in mind there is a fuel pump relay under hood somewhere and a single red wire with a spade terminal that is a prime wire if you find this apply 12 volts to red wire you should hear fuel pump run constant . Another trick is open fuel cap have someone turn key to run position listen for pump to run (3 to 5 sec.) don't hear it crawl under with heavy rubber hammer and hit the bottom of the tank (brushes get stuck in pump ) this may make the pump run if it starts and runs you get to buy a new pump!
Old 07-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks !!!! Tonight after work i'll see what I can do .l'll let you all know what I find . Thanks again , Ken
Old 07-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
454 fuel problem

OK I"M back . the pump is running . when it's cold it starts and runs normal ,good throttle response no black smoke when it warms up it's loading up. Shut it off it won't start unless you hold the throttle wide open then it starts and blows heavy black smoke until it clears up then you have decent throttle response but it's still loading up. any ideas ????remember it has the banks power pack system headers and exaust brake I'm lost help!!!!also in the vent line from the tank to a vent next to the filler hole I found a ? check valve ?that was cracked I removed it and piped it strait thur . don't know if that is a problem or not .hopfuly someone with more knowledge than me will know . Thanks ,Ken
Old 07-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #10

From my TBI experience a bad water temp sender for the tbi will not tell the comp it's warmed up and stay in rich mode and it will load up.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentouw View Post
OK I"M back . the pump is running . when it's cold it starts and runs normal ,good throttle response no black smoke when it warms up it's loading up. Shut it off it won't start unless you hold the throttle wide open then it starts and blows heavy black smoke until it clears up then you have decent throttle response but it's still loading up. any ideas ????remember it has the banks power pack system headers and exaust brake I'm lost help!!!!also in the vent line from the tank to a vent next to the filler hole I found a ? check valve ?that was cracked I removed it and piped it strait thur . don't know if that is a problem or not .hopfuly someone with more knowledge than me will know . Thanks ,Ken
Sorry for the dumb question, but I've never heard of a gas rig that has an exahust brake?

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
That would shock me. You'd need to crank it for several rotations just to establish oil pressure, then you'd wait for fuel. It'd shock me even more on a Chevy where the oil pressure spec for "allowed" pre-rebuild is probably in the high single digits at idle.

The only place I've seen something like this is the hour meter for aircraft... Switch on the oil pressure sender to track "engine running" hours.
It's true the ECM runs the fuel pump during start up and the switches over to the oil pressure sender to keep it running down the road.

Theory is in an accident the oil pressure will stop and the fuel pum shuts off preventing a fire.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #13

OK !! sounds like you are getting close , i agree the ect (engine coolant temp ) sensor could be reading wrong and that will keep ecm in the open loop - we need closed loop however if there is a way to get a scan tool on it that will tell you coolant and i feel more important the o2 sensor this is what tells the ecm weather to go rich or lean . Depending on the year there are at least 2 (1 pre-cat and 1 post cat ) . you need a scan tool. Got a friend who works in the auto business you can buy a beer???
Old 07-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
It's true the ECM runs the fuel pump during start up and the switches over to the oil pressure sender to keep it running down the road.

Theory is in an accident the oil pressure will stop and the fuel pum shuts off preventing a fire.

thanks for the hand richard .... here is some thing to help for some to under stand

i for get that year they did this on the 454 and then the edited it to do the same thing in the Ecm OS

he cuts the unit open at 5:20 in and you can under stand what this type of unit can play game when hot and cold ..

again may not be whats going on here but you are here to get 50 tips .. so one well be it

Tags
454, chevy, fuel