Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
OK HERE IS THE UPDATE.
After much reading on this site and others and speaking with my mechanic this week we went ahead and had a tune-up today. When speaking with the mechanic (who has a large toyhauler) he was shocked at my mileage. He did it today and boy what a difference driving home. More power, less peddle and climbed the 2 hills coming home with ease. He said I should get between 8 to 10 and have no problem on my trip over the Cascade Mtns.

The nice thing about him doing this was we found that the oil sending unit had blown off and was spitting oil on the engine. That would explain the smell and minor smoke. 2 birds with 1 stone.

Can't wait to leave on Saturday. Again thanks to all who gave me insite to the issue.

Arnold
What did he all do in the Tune-up? Plugs + wires, did he adjust timing? what was the cost of the tune-up?
The reason I am askng is I am only getting 5 at best going 55-60 mph. I was hoping/planning on 7.7 - 8 mpg with the easy going speeds? My 34' is running good but someting has to be wrong + it is sluggish up the hills

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #30

Thumbs up

Jimzz, Get the carb rebuilt and get the distributor recurved It will give you better fuel economy and better running up those hills. Been there and have done that. Talk to Jim Elliott, He'll set you straight.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzz2001 View Post
What did he all do in the Tune-up? Plugs + wires, did he adjust timing? what was the cost of the tune-up?
The reason I am askng is I am only getting 5 at best going 55-60 mph. I was hoping/planning on 7.7 - 8 mpg with the easy going speeds? My 34' is running good but someting has to be wrong + it is sluggish up the hills
Sluggish up the hills indicates your ignition is really retarded so now you will need to find a "Guru" in your area that understands the "HEI" ignition and is willing to set it up to these specs....
(1)....Base timing 10*, NO vacuum connected at the distributer advance (yet).
(2)....Distributer mechanical setup to 22*-24* at 3,000 RPM.
(3) Stock vacuum advance hands out way tooooo much advance (25*) and will need to be cut back to 10*---15*.
Base 10* + mechanical 22* = 32* without the vacuum hooked up yet..
Now with the vacuum advance reconnected which while lite footing it down the flat & level road add in the 10* or so advance and when your foot is into the floor board and you have ZERO vacuum you have at least 32* of built in advance and your engine will love it.....

Please find this socalled "Ignition guru" and just ask him the above questions.......WALK AWAY if he makes NO sense......

Cannot get into the carb section YET until your ignition is setup and locked down (forever )

Jim
Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
Sluggish up the hills indicates your ignition is really retarded so now you will need to find a "Guru" in your area that understands the "HEI" ignition and is willing to set it up to these specs....
(1)....Base timing 10*, NO vacuum connected at the distributer advance (yet).
(2)....Distributer mechanical setup to 22*-24* at 3,000 RPM.
(3) Stock vacuum advance hands out way tooooo much advance (25*) and will need to be cut back to 10*---15*.
Base 10* + mechanical 22* = 32* without the vacuum hooked up yet..
Now with the vacuum advance reconnected which while lite footing it down the flat & level road add in the 10* or so advance and when your foot is into the floor board and you have ZERO vacuum you have at least 32* of built in advance and your engine will love it.....

Please find this socalled "Ignition guru" and just ask him the above questions.......WALK AWAY if he makes NO sense......

Cannot get into the carb section YET until your ignition is setup and locked down (forever )

Jim
Thanks JIM!

Looks like some great ideas that I will have my mechanic do. A big part of my problem turned out to be plug wires, well just one actually. Number one Plug wire burnt off. Not once but twice. Im sure it was due to heat, the factory heat shield was in place but it had been bent/straightened more than once from what it appeared.

We were quite a ways from home with limited tools. Here is a link to my experience and how I was able to control the heat and preserve the wire for the trip home.

1200 mile round trip with a few issues

Now the journey begins to get the RV ready for our next advnture.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #33

Jimmzz, if your wire burned twice, and you are still running OEM manifolds you probably have a crack in your exhaust manifold. Had that happen to me. If you listen there will probably be a ticking noise right around where that plug wire is. The one that burn't on me was the passengers side,very back plug.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #34

That back passenger side plug is common.

I replaced my wires with NAPA ceramic booted ones. They are pricey at ~ $120, but you only have to spend it once.

Tags
gas