RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguy0818 View Post
Ok all. Excellent help here thanks ! In the end I wound up replacing the ENTIRE distributer and it resolved my issues. So even though I had replaced the cap rotor wires coil ignition module etc etc - what ended up being the culprit is the PIP sensor or points or what ever they are inside the actual distributer itself. By dropping a new complete distributer in I appear to have resolved the problem. It also seems to be running much better than it used to although I may have to fine tune the timing now. I will find out once I get it on the road and climb some hills and put it under load. Wish me luck - I am off to Florida (leaving upstate NY). Thanks for everyoneís help here and if anyone finds this thread later - replace your distributer. The whole thing.
Great to hear you fixed it and thanx for the follow up. I'll definitely make a note of your issue in case it ever happens to me. BTW how may miles on your rig?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 06:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
Great to hear you fixed it and thanx for the follow up. I'll definitely make a note of your issue in case it ever happens to me. BTW how may miles on your rig?
ALMOST fixed lol. I just drove strait through the night from NY to Florida just hit NC for a short rest. Itís backfiring - or technical term ď after firing ď very bad especially on deceleration and I have zero power. Some of those hills in PA damn near killed it I was down to like 35mph foot to the floor. So I am now wondering if the cat is also clogged. But Iím on my way anyway drinking gas like 3mpg lol. Is what it is.

I have 72k on it.

Thisguy0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #17

Quote:
ALMOST fixed lol. I just drove strait through the night from NY to Florida just hit NC for a short rest. Itís backfiring - or technical term ď after firing ď very bad especially on deceleration and I have zero power. Some of those hills in PA damn near killed it I was down to like 35mph foot to the floor. So I am now wondering if the cat is also clogged. But Iím on my way anyway drinking gas like 3mpg lol. Is what it is.

I have 72k on it.

Check your ignition timing. The tan or brown wire behind the distributor has to be disconnected to properly set the timing. A plugged cat or bad ECU temp sensor could also be the culprit.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
Check your ignition timing. The tan or brown wire behind the distributor has to be disconnected to properly set the timing. A plugged cat or bad ECU temp sensor could also be the culprit.
Soppy is on the right track when he says the timing is not set correctly. You should have an emissions label with the tune up specs on it which will should point out where the wire connector is to disable the electronic controlled timing module so you can set the timing to specs using a timing light. This is absolutely necessary to set the timing correctly.
Note this will trip the check engine lamp on. When you are done setting the timing shut the engine off, reconnect the wire and disconnect the ground cable from the battery for a half minute or so to clear the system.
Lynn
Old 09-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Ok all. Excellent help here thanks ! In the end I wound up replacing the ENTIRE distributer and it resolved my issues. So even though I had replaced the cap rotor wires coil ignition module etc etc - what ended up being the culprit is the PIP sensor or points or what ever they are inside the actual distributer itself. By dropping a new complete distributer in I appear to have resolved the problem. It also seems to be running much better than it used to although I may have to fine tune the timing now. I will find out once I get it on the road and climb some hills and put it under load. Wish me luck - I am off to Florida (leaving upstate NY). Thanks for everyone’s help here and if anyone finds this thread later - replace your distributer. The whole thing.
That's what I had to do to fix my van. I believe the distributor shaft was worn enough that the trigger signal for the TBFI would fail and the motor would just shut off. Wholesale distributor replacement fixed it. I'd already replaced almost everything else, including the computer, with no change.
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:08 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the feedback. Have a safe trip and a nice warm winter.
3mpg is tough, but it's all level travels from now on.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:16 AM   #21

At the very least I would loosen the distributor hold down and rotate the distributor counter clockwise a small amount to advance the timing. If you go too far you may notice some spark knock when going up a hill or under hard acceleration. Simply loosen the distributor again and turn it back clockwise to retard the timing.
At three miles per gallon you aren't burning fuel efficiently and you will cause damage to the Cat if you don't address this soon.
You didn't mention any power loss before you changed the distributor so the Cat is probably alright at this time. It won't be for long though if you don't get this running better than it is. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you were getting some raw gas into the engine oil either running like this.
Lynn

Tags
454, engine