Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Id go with a 20/50 or straight weight oil . I had a high mileage truck that responded well to the thicker viscosity oil. Higher oil pressure at start and under operating temps.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Question, You know Rotella is a diesel oil right? I have use it in a gas motor and it seems to burn it . Did you pull the head to replace oil seals? It is possible that you pinched a seal when replacing, or the intake gasket got a nick or piece or dirt on the gasket. sounds like to me it could be a intake gasket, note the let off and when under a hard pull it smokes. I use to race and a loose intake or bad intake gasket can cause this. I would use a 10-40 or a 20-50 racing oil and see what happens. did it smoke when you bought it and drove it home?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist5 View Post
Question, You know Rotella is a diesel oil right? I have use it in a gas motor and it seems to burn it .
Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #18

With that kind of compression, I think it safe to rule out any piston related problems. If I were doing the work on this engine, I might be tempted to try replacing the intake seal on just the wet cylinder and have another go at it. If that doesn't do it, I'd pull the intake and look for a path the oil might be taking into the intake port. If none found, then I would pull that head. Depending on what I found there, I would pull the other if required.

FWIW - Many, including myself, recognize Rotella as one of the better oils on the market, CAPABLE of running in a diesel, but works fine in about anything else as well. Because it will work in a diesel does not mean it should not be used in a gasser. It's often priced very reasonably, and when found like that, is a great value!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Ahicks, Yes it can be used in all motors but it is a detergent oil, which keeps the diesel clean, And i agree i would work on the wet cylinder. guides, seals, intake, intake gasket. but with a motor with that kind of mileage. I myself use mobile 1 in my diesels and conv oil in my gas vehicle and i agree with todd use a thicker oil which may help but I still think it is a seal or guide or intake gasket. intake or head not cleaned before replacement, It could be as simple as how the intake was torqued, or a loose bolt, Have seen many time that a loose intake can cause this problem. that is why I asked if it smoked when driving it home after being bought. my 1/2 cent worth
Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #20

454 using lots oil update fouled plug compression test help !!

hello
thanks for all input
yes smoked very very little when i purchased it
next pull intake check for leaks , if not found any , pull heads and get them checked espically vavle guides .. i will change oil to vavoline 20 w 50 racing oil , my father has a 350 chevy with 420,000 miles , he swears by vavoline 20 w 50 .the problem is in the top end , better than pulling engine . i was considering putting a 6.2 diesel engine it for fuel mileage , found one really cheap ,120,000 miles ,thanks for all replies
Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist5 View Post
Ahicks, Yes it can be used in all motors but it is a detergent oil, which keeps the diesel clean, And i agree i would work on the wet cylinder. guides, seals, intake, intake gasket. but with a motor with that kind of mileage. I myself use mobile 1 in my diesels and conv oil in my gas vehicle and i agree with todd use a thicker oil which may help but I still think it is a seal or guide or intake gasket. intake or head not cleaned before replacement, It could be as simple as how the intake was torqued, or a loose bolt, Have seen many time that a loose intake can cause this problem. that is why I asked if it smoked when driving it home after being bought. my 1/2 cent worth
thanks for input
when we bought it didnt see any smoke when started or when it was running ,very very smooth , very strong , 16000 pounds 35 ft motorhome plus pulling dolly with a suv on it
going to pull intake , look for problem , pull heads get vavle guides checked/replaced , l going to start on it this afternoon
thanks for help
Old 06-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Coach, try the oil change first. cheap way out...... but it will tell you alot. check torque on intake make sure you torque it form the middle out from side to side work you torque into three rounds firm then a little more then torque to spec.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
coach, Question if it ran strong why would you change the seals?? when did it start to smoke???
Old 06-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #24

Do a pressure differential test on the cylinders. Compression test is useless nowadays. You put air in the cylinders and you can tell if you have valves bad or it is blowing into the crankcase.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #25

I agree that is likely guides, but pretty consumption for guides/seals. Often a bad guide and seal will smoke a lot on. Start up because of leak down while not running,and that is a way of evaluating if it is an oil ring broken or a seal.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #26

Symptoms described make a valve guide number one suspect.

A bad guide will sometimes allow some leak down when engine is not running, resulting in a lot of smoke upon start. There is always a little oil on the top side on shutdown, and it will follow the path of least resistance, back to the crankcase, or some down the bad guide.

These are good engines but with severe usage, the splayed guides take a beating.

As this was a sudden appearance problem, a broken oil ring should be considered after ruling out the guide. A broken oil ring often will not cause a compression loss at first, unless it decides to depart its grove in the piston.

I would not recommend aluminum heads for this application. I have used them in high performance stuff, and would not want a set in your application.

The oil you are using is not the problem.

Check any vacuum connections, as even a small vacuum leak will cause a fouled plug, but not that much oil usage, but check it any way. A vacuum gauge is a big help here but most people don't mess with those cheap instruments any more.

Keep us up on the outcome.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Do a pressure differential test on the cylinders. Compression test is useless nowadays. You put air in the cylinders and you can tell if you have valves bad or it is blowing into the crankcase.
hello
thanks for input
when i installed vavle seals , used air to hold vavles up in place , did not hear any air once i had rockers off . i am hoping bad intake gasket or head gasket , if its a oil ring on 1 piston , drop pan , pull it out , hone , new piston /rings , wish there was a easy way to tell bad oil ring .
thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
I agree that is likely guides, but pretty consumption for guides/seals. Often a bad guide and seal will smoke a lot on. Start up because of leak down while not running,and that is a way of evaluating if it is an oil ring broken or a seal.
hello
forgot to mention , no smoke on startup !! no smoke idiling , soon as you give it gas little smoke then when you let off , big cloud smoke .
thanks for all inputs ,