Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Coach,
Sounds like it could be a head gasket also if it is not the intake, but dont rule anything at this point........Could even be a cracked head........ Keep us posted

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:00 AM   #30

Had an 82 454 engine in a pickup and was using oil. Turned out it was the valve guides in the head. Had teflon guides put in, milled and planed the heads and used high performance head gaskets. Solved the oil burning problem. But then it was a little harder to start due to higher compression. Had to add another 12 volt battery and then never had another problem. One very powerful engine.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #31

454 using lots oil update fouled plug compression test help !!took intake/head off ??

Hello
well just finishing taking intake off and head . I seen nothing wrong with gaskets , no blown out places ,head gasket has metal ring intake . I look closely at 1 cyclinder head vavles ,lots of buildup , carbon ,looks as vavles has wear . The next thing piston /cyclinder walls looked fine once wiped all oil off . Well going to take head for check tommorrow ,the over vavles pretty clean and white . I am concerned that maybe a bad oil ring . Anyone got any suggestions ? Should i drop oil pan , pull out piston ,hone /thatch cyclinder walls, replace rings .
Old 06-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #32

Don't get ahead of yourself, what's the hurry? Get the head checked first, then go from there. Hate when I get into something that takes up all my free time because I skipped something that would have fixed the problem.
Anyway, there's lot of old Chevy's with same iron in them. Maybe find another one with less miles and exchange the iron, use what you can, dump the rest.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #33

Agree with one step at a time. You are on the right track, but don't burn any bridges, they are expensive. If it is a valve guide, then have the head completely checked out and insure it is flat. You are not going to know if it is an oil ring until you put it all back together and run it. If it still smokes, you eliminated the top end, so you can focus on the bottom side.

Your options are few:

Short block/long block
Remove and rebuild existing unit

Repairing #1 hole is a real crap shoot in that heavy duty application. I consider that a real short-term solution, ie, to get you home to a mechanic.

I think I saw something about 90,000 miles? Depending on previous care and use, it may be at the replacement/rebuild point anyway.

Good luck.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #34

454 using lots oil ,had head checked,guides good,help help !!d

Hello
i just returned from local engine machine shop,he checked vavle guides ,vavle stems they in great shape .he said i have a frozen or broken oil ring on that piston probably, he said if cyclinder walls ok 170 TESTED , pull piston out,relace rings .i was hoping guides bad ,now time for fun ,move trans back , pull motor up 5 or 6 inches ,pull oil pan, replace rings, put new rear /front seals ,etc ,put back together . I also considering pull out 454 and put a 6.2 diesel in .fellow rv mechanics which would you do or have done.
Thanks
Old 06-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #35

Well, that's a tough question. I've heard the 6.2 diesel in a marine application is not to good. Since I have no experience with it, I can't help you, except to say I prefer a diesel to a gasser for me. "Fixing" one piston in an engine that old, (90000+ miles) sounds to me like a risky affair. Of course a lot has to do with how you drive the unit, how many miles you intend to put on it, whether you intend to keep this unit a long time, and where you're going to be driving. Mountain driving will place a huge strain on the whole drivetrain. Flatland driving at say 60 mph will keep the load on the drivetrain to a minimum. And of course finances will play a large part of your decision. What I can tell you is I replaced one piston in a 1965 Olds 98 that my wife drove around town. that was maybe 40 years ago. In that useage, it ran fine for several years before we traded it.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #36

454 engine problems one cyclinder update

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
Well, that's a tough question. I've heard the 6.2 diesel in a marine application is not to good. Since I have no experience with it, I can't help you, except to say I prefer a diesel to a gasser for me. "Fixing" one piston in an engine that old, (90000+ miles) sounds to me like a risky affair. Of course a lot has to do with how you drive the unit, how many miles you intend to put on it, whether you intend to keep this unit a long time, and where you're going to be driving. Mountain driving will place a huge strain on the whole drivetrain. Flatland driving at say 60 mph will keep the load on the drivetrain to a minimum. And of course finances will play a large part of your decision. What I can tell you is I replaced one piston in a 1965 Olds 98 that my wife drove around town. that was maybe 40 years ago. In that useage, it ran fine for several years before we traded it.
HELLO
THANKS FOR INPUT , TODAY MECHANIC DAY , TOOK ALL BOLTS OUT OF OIL PAN ,MOTOR MOUNTS, DRIVERS SET/PEDSTAIL/ TOOK BOLTS OUT OF TRANSMISSION MOUNT ,TOOK STATER OFF,GOT EXHUAST MANIFOLDS OUT THE WAY , OIL COOLER ADPTER ,FAN AND CLUTCH , ETC , THEN LOOSEN OIL PAN UP ,IF STEERING ARM WASNT IN THE WAY IT WOULD COME OUT I THINK, THIS IS NOT A 96000 MILE ENGINE,MECHANIC FRIEND SAID LESS THAN 30,000 MILES , AFTER TAKING ALL THIS STUFF LOOSE AND SEEING HOW EXTRA CLEAN IT IS .I ALSO SAW WHERE SOMEONE CUT PLACE OUT BEHIND DOG HOUSE COVER FOR ENGINE REMOVE ,ENGINE IS NOT THAT DIRTY OR EVEN DONT SEE OIL ANYWHERE ON THE OUT SIDE .I THINK MOTOR CHANGE HAPPENED RECENTLY ,ENGINE JUST CRACKED/BROKEN OIL RING . I PLAN TO LIFT HER UP ,GET OIL PAN OFF ,IN THE MOURNING.
THANKS
Old 06-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #37

454 usage update,piston out,nothing wrong,need help please

Hello
i got piston out 454 today , 1 cyclinder, found nothing wrong with rings or cyclinder walls,rod bearings . I wonder if anyone done the same with 454 and found problem . I dont know what to do next , new rings , gaskets ,any ideas ?
Thanks
Old 06-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #38

Did you check the oil ring carefully? a problem with that ring woud not affect the compression but would allow oil to get past. Did the local machine shop check the head for a crack or any warping?

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #39

I agree with previous post - check that oil ring out real close. I've had a similar problem with a small block Chevy. End gap per specs. Your mechanic should know how that is done.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:26 AM   #40

454 usage update,piston out,nothing wrong,need help please

hello
thanks for inputs /thoughts
going to take piston assembly just the way it come out to machine shop today , let a professional look at it ,going to mic cyclinder bore and get new set of rings .the machine shop checked vavle guides and flatness of head , he said it was fine .
thanks
Old 07-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #41

454 oil USAGE UPDATE,got running today after rebuild

hello
i wanted to keep all in touch , for the 454 burning lots oil . i pulled intake, heads, pulled engine /transmission up , had to cut six inhes of floor , pulled oil pan , got pistons out . i then got a freind engine builder to hone 400 grit/ quilk ball cyclinders , new moly rings , new rod bearings , new gaskets ,etc . i put non detergent 30 w oil , fired up adjusted vavles , oil squiting everywhere. the main problem oil usage was 1 cyclinder , rings where upside down ,dot was down also to much ring clearence . i will let you know more after test drive.
thanks.