Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-11-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
460 exhaust manifold air tubes

i just purchased a 1994 holiday rambler 460 f53 and have exhaust manifold leaks and pinging while going up grades as engine temp increases. does my unit have/use the ex man air inlet tubes? And do i need to purchase headers with the air tube inlets. Can anyone recommend an appropriate header number for me..... (I cant afford the Banks system) Thank you all so much Wes

drtobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ford 460

Originally Posted by drtobe View Post
i just purchased a 1994 holiday rambler 460 f53 and have exhaust manifold leaks and pinging while going up grades as engine temp increases. does my unit have/use the ex man air inlet tubes? And do i need to purchase headers with the air tube inlets. Can anyone recommend an appropriate header number for me..... (I cant afford the Banks system) Thank you all so much Wes
I know you said you couldn't afford Banks system. I have a 40 ft Newmar with a 460, f53 chassis. I installed the Full Banks system myself and WOW! what a improvement in HP and especially torque. Its amazing what happened to a V8 big block when you add headers, non restricted exhaust pipes and cold air induction and you can feel how much it performs when it can breathe.
The stock manifolds are the worst thing the 460 has to deal with. Removing the stock air tubes, was the hardest part of the install job. Their are other headers system out there you just need to research them and make sure you read lots of review on them from fellow RV'ers, especially 1994 Holiday Ramblers with 460

39 foot 2000 Newmar Dutch Star Freightliner chassis/300 hp Cat. Allison 6 speed
Retired Fire Fighter who won't retire, but I'm close
Caterpillar 3126 If it's not a CAT, then it's a DOG!
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
so you don't share where you live and if your vehicle needs to go through some kind of emission testing.. If your required to have emission testing than what you want to do and what you can do might be 2 different things... HOWEVER the exhaust leaks don't have a lot to do with the ping... I assume if you wish to get rid of the ping you'll have to do one or two of the following.... move from 87 octane to a higher octane fuel, enrich the fuel mixture under heavy load, have someone look at the advance curve if that's adjustable on your engine...

Good luck..

BTW - just thought of this and had to come back and edit this... a simple vacuum leak will cause a lean condition on 1 or 2 cylinders and would cause the ping... if your unit has an EGR valve on the intake, take it off and put some solvent against the valve... if the solvent migrates past the valve and leaks... you can bet that this might be part of your problem... under heavy load the EGR must be closed... it should only function at high manifold vacuum conditions... flat and level cruise....
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Wes and Welcome to the Forum!

The exhaust manifolds most likely have cracks and I'm willing to be you also have broken manifold bolts as well. You could put new stock type manifolds on but will end up back to square 1 eventually. Headers are the best fix and will provide a notable power boost too. Other than Banks, Gibson makes (or made) headers for the '94 -'97 460 F53. Hedman also made custom headers for that application (#89716) as that is what I have but they have been discontinued. The AIR tubes came already on the headers (see pic).

If you do not have to pass emissions testing, then you could probably use more generic 460 pickup truck headers but you'd need to do a custom exhaust as well.

FYI, the timing and fuel delivery are all computer controlled. No easy way to change.
1995 Coachmen Santara 360MB 36' w/slide.
Ford F53/460 chassis, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee "toad"
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #5
Hi Wes and welcome to the forum. I have a '97 F53 and had manifold problems with the 460 and decided to bite the bullet and get the full Banks system and what a difference. I looked around and got a fair deal at about $1800 for the full system, intake, exhaust, etc. A friend and I installed it. But during my research, I did find that Thorley also offered headers for my set-up and it was less expensive but it was not the full system. You might want to check them out.

Good luck!
'74 F350 44K,'79 11' Mitchell Camper, MINT All Original
'79 Mitchell 25' Class C, 460 46K, MINT All Original
'97 Rexhall Aerbus, 60K, 460, F53, MINT All Original
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote