Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
460 Ford stalling

I have a 1991 Damon Challenger with a 460 Ford gas engine. I was stalling every time I came to a stop, however it would start up again. Now it won't start at all. It is acting as if it is flooded. I had a similar problem last spring. It was the fuel return valve. Could it be the same problem so soon?
wichallenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wichallenger View Post
Now it won't start at all. It is acting as if it is flooded. I had a similar problem last spring. It was the fuel return valve. Could it be the same problem so soon?
You know, I'm thinking that if it were flooded, you would be smelling gasoline. That was my experience in those types events.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Is this a carb or injected engine?

Is it hot where your at?

Was the tank recently worked on?

Was the fuel pickup sock looked at/replaced?

Was the fuel pump pressure tested?

The purpose of a 'Fuel Return Valve' is/was to help prevent vapor lock on a hot engine. Now a days on injected engines, its a Bypass Pressure Regulator.

A bad fuel pump could be the culprit, as well as gunk in the tank clogging the pickup.. both will cause low fuel pressure and a quick 'in and out' tech will just call it the regulator w/o testing the pump.

Even if the pressure fell with in range, if its on the low side, you can get vapor lock from the hot engine cooking the fuel in the lines. Causing a stall..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
I had the fuel pump and regulator valve replaced this last spring. It was acting the same way as it is now before the replacement. It has ran great all summer. I just took a trip from home (Wisconsin) to Texas and back. It started acting up again on the way back and completely quite just as I drove into my driveway. This is a fuel injected engine, and it sure isn't warm in Wisconsin right now.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever tried any gas line antifreeze (to remove water/moisture from your gas) recently and how long has it been since the fuel filter has been changed?

If you try the gas line antifreeze use the Red Heet not yellow it's a few cents more
but works way better, the gas/carburetor cleaner is relatively useless.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wichallenger View Post
I had the fuel pump and regulator valve replaced this last spring. It was acting the same way as it is now before the replacement. It has ran great all summer. I just took a trip from home (Wisconsin) to Texas and back. It started acting up again on the way back and completely quite just as I drove into my driveway. This is a fuel injected engine, and it sure isn't warm in Wisconsin right now.
wichallenger, I went through 3 fuel pumps in a relatively short period of time back in 1993 with our Club Wagon, 351 CID. I was on the upside of the DELMEMBR southbound when it started sputtering. (again) I was pulling a 29 foot TT at the time. We were going to Myrtle Beach. I was initially stuck that day right in the toll booth on the I287 southbound side for the NJTP but pressed on after it cooled off and started.

The worst part of that experience was staying at the Delaware Auto Court. Wilmington Ford & Truck was great.

Don't be overly confident with the replacement fuel pump. Of course, I hope that has changed by now.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Latest on the 460 Ford starting.
Had it started and poured some Seafoam in the fuel (gas) tank. Tank had about 30 gal. in it. The engine quit an I haven't been able to start it since. I will have to start checking a few other things before I go any further.
Larry
Old 01-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
sounds like could be .dykedelta1
dykedelta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lay down on the ground by the fuel tank and have some one turn the key on and see if you can hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds.

Another quick way to check the fuel pump just a little more work pull the engine cover and look at the fuel rails until you see a Schrader valve (looks like a tire valve stem) push the valve in and turn the key on and see if you get a spray of gas from the valve and be prepared I do mean a spray if you have a pressure gauge it would work better about 45psi.

I've had several 460 E series that after they have sat with out running the ethanol turns to syrup in the fuel tank, yet I've had just as many that have not go figure.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
I tried a spark tester and no spark. What would cause it to lose spark all of a sudden while idling?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #11

It sounds to me like it could be an ignition module with having no spark. I'm not sure if your ignition module is built into the distributor or on the fire wall on that model. If it is on the firewall, there should be a metal box with 2-3 round plugs coming out of it. I have a 89, 460 and mine has the ignition module under the hood with 2 round plugs coming out of it. When they are going bad one minute they will work and the next they wont.
tdsmith45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:09 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
i sure would try an ignition module ,hsad it happen to me .john
dykedelta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dykedelta1 View Post
i sure would try an ignition module ,hsad it happen to me .john
Would that cause it to die when you come to a stop, and then start up again right away? That's the way it acted before it quit completely.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Of all the FoMoCo cars/trucks we towed in for stalling over the years that needed the modules replaced I seem to recall they all were hot when they stalled and normally if you waited a while so they could cool down then they would restart.

To the best of my recollection they would not restart right after they died out with in a half minute more like 15 to 20 minutes or more.

Those modules were so much of a problem I carried spares in all my Ford products, the fender mounted "Dura Spark" modules were the worse and the distributor mounts were only marginally better.