Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2016, 05:08 PM   #1

Wink 5 Star tune downshifting noise

5Star:

I currently have your tune. I was wondering if you have had any further success in reducing the noisy 5->3 downshift on the 5 speed transmission. Its mainly a problem while on cruise control. Thanks for any insight!

David
2013 Vista 27N

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #2

5 to 3 is better than the 5 to 2 that mine use to do before 5 star tuning, if your talking about engine noise than you need to add sound proofing to the doghouse and under the floors at front of motorhome, I did this and now my sound is half what it was..

Old 02-21-2016, 07:01 AM   #3

I'm not a Ford owner, but no one else has responded and basic cruise control remarks still apply:

It sounds like both of you are talking about your engine downshifting, and going to full throttle, when going up a hill with the cruise control engaged. I'm sure you know this but, when a vehicle slows down - like on a slight hill - cruise control will attempt to regain whatever speed the cruise was set on, and if the speed slowed down sufficiently a downshift and full throttle application will result with appropriate noise and higher RPM. The solution is to turn off the cruise when climbing a hill. Many times, you can eliminate a downshift by turning off or pausing the cruise and manually applying less than full throttle. Much better fuel mileage and less noise from a screaming engine at the expense of just a momentary reduction in speed. Of course, as always, a steep hill requires a lower gear and more throttle.

Again, just my comments. Ignore if your problem isn't what it seems to be from your remarks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaugh10 View Post
5Star:

I currently have your tune. I was wondering if you have had any further success in reducing the noisy 5->3 downshift on the 5 speed transmission. Its mainly a problem while on cruise control. Thanks for any insight!

David
2013 Vista 27N
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
5 to 3 is better than the 5 to 2 that mine use to do before 5 star tuning, if your talking about engine noise than you need to add sound proofing to the doghouse and under the floors at front of motorhome, I did this and now my sound is half what it was..
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:11 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
George, I think that is exactly what they are talking about. I have 5 star as well and the downshift happens once in a rare while. However, as previously posted, it now downshifts to 3rd gear instead of 2nd like it did with the stock tune. This is a huge improvement over stock. The 5 star is the best improvment I have made to my mpotorhome but folks cannot expect it to not downshift at all when approaching large hills with cruise on. You are also correct that if you shut the cruise off, depending on the hill, it is possible to pull steeper grades without downshifting due to the better shift patterns and increased horspower the 5 star achieves. While I would characterize the 5 star tune as a true silver bullet, everything has its limitations.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #5

I am currently on my first trip after installing the 5Star on my 2014 Bounder. While I do see other improvements in performance, I still have the "screaming downshift" issue. I have found that if I give a little throttle prior to reaching an overpass, the shift will be smooth down to 4th and then 3rd if needed. However, if I don't touch the throttle, I get the hard downshift. I would think that could be addressed in the tune, but I have not heard back from 5Star yet.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #6

This is all good feed back on the tuner for me.
Thanks!
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the 5 star on my 2016 Bounder, I agree 100% with George & MoJo. I like using my cruise and have learned with the 5 star I still need a little manual throttle help if I don't want the hard shift. Remember the 5 star is for your engine, the cruise in the ford is still a bit laggy and no matter how good the 5 star helps the TC and engine it can't make up for that lag. Its funny I find if I run at 60-62 the cruise and the shift point is worse than if I run at 65-68. The difference is the starting RPM it seems, at 60-62 I am right at 2000RPM but at 65-68 I am at 2300RPM. When I have cruise and run a bit faster the cruise handles the hills much better. I might see it go from 2300 to 2900 and sometimes 3200 but rarely does it jump to 4000+ OF course the transition and grade play such a factor in all this but generally speaking rolling hills and 67MPH I rarely touch the pedal. I understand I am more fuel efficient at 60ish and I would just have to have more manual input on hilly areas. I'll sacrifice the .5 MPG for the convenience and quiet and run a bit faster.

I have about 7700 miles on my rig now and almost all of it with the 5 star. My gas MPG is 6.5 to 7.2 no matter towing not towing, hills, flat, at 65 +- 5MPH --- No rockies travel but have been in some hills in ALA, TN, Missouri, and MS. Overall I am very pleased with my 5 star performance and glad I purchased it. I have also completely lined my doghouse with DYNA MAT extreme. Heat and sound is vastly improved and at 2000-2300RPM you can barely hear engine noise. MY banks ram air intake makes more noise than the engine does. LOL
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
like everyone else, I've experienced these same things. I don't use the cruise going over hills/mountains, but foot control. Also the faster I'm going the less hard shifts I experience. I love this tune and it helps a lot. But, like everything, nothing is perfect. Living in the mountains makes this tune shine when I climb going home. My .02
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic57 View Post
I am currently on my first trip after installing the 5Star on my 2014 Bounder. While I do see other improvements in performance, I still have the "screaming downshift" issue. I have found that if I give a little throttle prior to reaching an overpass, the shift will be smooth down to 4th and then 3rd if needed. However, if I don't touch the throttle, I get the hard downshift. I would think that could be addressed in the tune, but I have not heard back from 5Star yet.
Well it also depends on what you are towing and how big is the hill, I tow 6000 lbs and sometimes it shifts to 4th but most other times it shifts down to 3rd, having cruise control off helps, as to the screaming noise is the motorhome issue, I had the same problem and found out there is no sound proofing under doghouse, add sound proofing material and you will be happy.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dennis hit it right on. Its all about the speed you run and yes 65+ works much better. I have messed with speed/mileage a whole bunch. I have done 55 not towing and I have done 70 towing a 20' cago trailer loaded to the gills and the worst mileage I experienced was at 55. For the most part whether I'm doing 55 not towing or towing and traveling with my hair on fire I get the same mileage. Doesnt matter, so I will travel at 65 to 67 and get the most out of my engine and tune.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cruise

Never use the Cruise control in hills! It overworks the transmission and engine.
And for those of you thinking speed, wind, hills and weight make no difference, you not "accurately" measuring your MPG. MPG measured instantaneously using a good guage will show this, then followed by several tank-fill MPGs. A gasser tank never fills up the some, varying 2-6 gallons, depending on slope, and pump accuracy. 2-6 gallons varies MPG by 1-2.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Hi everybody and thanks for the feedback we appreciate it. I can assure you we have tried every combination of shift patterns over the months and what we released to the public is the best combination we came up with. We have to keep it within Ford's parameters so we do not damage the rig. If you folks have any more questions feel free to call us. Thank You
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trust me I know how to measure mileage. I have kept track of every mile and every tank of fuel over the last 20,000 miles and i can tell you it never varies more than .1-.3 miles per gallon. Certainly not enough to concern myself with.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:57 PM   #14

Returned from my trip today and had a very good response with my tune. I think it may have been the CC speed that Mojo recommended. I kept it between 65 & 67 and only downshifted to 2nd twice in 250ish miles. This was with a 25-30mph crosswind with gusts to 35-40. I was amazed. I also discovered that the downshift I was referring to as a 5-3 was actually a 5-2. I'll be heading to Virginia in a few weeks, so I'll have another trip to compare the results.

Tags
noise