Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

5 Star Tune, will it interfere with annual inspection

I know if we ever needed to take our coach to an authorized dealer to have work done on the engine, transmission etc., we have to hook up the 5 star tune module and restore to factory settings first before we take it in.

Is that also true for getting an annual inspection at a state licensed service center to renew our tags?

I just read in our chassis manual:
"The OBD-II system is designed to check the emission control system during normal driving".

So I'm sure the emissions are checked during an annual inspection and other things too through the OBD II port. I was just thinking that maybe 5 star tune might not make these and other readings available or interfere the inspector from making a proper inspection.

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2017, 07:36 PM   #2

Drop a note to 5 Star and ask your concern.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #3

5 Star Tune, will it interfere with annual inspection

The tune won't set any codes, and the inspection is looking for error codes and tests that aren't conducted. That's the reason you can't reset your codes and then go for inspection, many of the tests will show as incomplete.

So unless you are driving around with the check engine light on you should be fine. Not sure what state you are in, but my state doesn't check emissions on a motorhome.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:20 AM   #4
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

OP here with an update:
So I called 5 Star Tune a couple of days ago and they told me that YES they recommend removing the tune before I go to be inspected. I told them that I know I should remove it if I go to a FORD dealer to have any work done but are you sure I need to do this for an state inspection? Again they said, we recommend you do so.

Well, I decided to take my chances and not remove the tune. I thought I'd wait and see if the inspection station actually plugs into the OBD II port to do any diagnostics (like emissions) and if they did and the tune caused problems, I'd just tell the inspector it's because of the tune so please give me 5 minutes and I'll restore to factory settings.

So....I went and had our annual inspection done yesterday here in Texas, so we could renew our state registration. We had our toad connected. Took about 3 minutes, they didn't require us to pull into a bay, they did it in the parking lot. They went to the rear of the coach (not the toad) and motioned for me to test all the rear lights, then moved to the front of the coach, tested all lights there, wipers, and horn and then recorded current odometer mileage. That was it. Went in the office, showed them my current insurance card. Paid $7 and that was it.

Our state registration fee is $17.25, So every year going forward my inspection & registration fees for the MH will be $24.25. I'm happy about that.

BTW—for all you wounded Texas Vets out there. Since I'm a wounded warrior and have a Purple Heart, several months ago I applied for and received Purple Heart License Plates for both the Toad & the MH. Now whenever we drive on Texas Toll Roads, we are exempt from toll fees. Those toll fees can really add up fast. It's a nice gesture that Texas shows their appreciation by doing this.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:36 AM   #5

As a heads up to anyone with a 5 star tune living in a state or county that does plug into the odbii, you will probably have the test come back as incomplete depending on what they are checking for.

I had an F350 with a V10 that had a 5 star tune. When I went for emissions the report said the vehicle was not ready. This is the same reading you could get if you went there with a cold engine. I turns out 5 Star turns off some of the monitoring used by emmissions. When I plugged in my Torqu app I could see in the emmissions section most of the readings were not ready. When I restored the factory tune I recall driving around for a couple days before everything was ready for testing again.

I'm not sure if anyone tests motor homes for emmissions or not so this may be a non issue for the motor home people.

Glad yours worked out, thanks for your service, and sacrifices.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take_It_Easy View Post
As a heads up to anyone with a 5 star tune living in a state or county that does plug into the odbii, you will probably have the test come back as incomplete depending on what they are checking for.

I had an F350 with a V10 that had a 5 star tune. When I went for emissions the report said the vehicle was not ready. This is the same reading you could get if you went there with a cold engine. I turns out 5 Star turns off some of the monitoring used by emmissions. When I plugged in my Torqu app I could see in the emmissions section most of the readings were not ready. When I restored the factory tune I recall driving around for a couple days before everything was ready for testing again.

I'm not sure if anyone tests motor homes for emmissions or not so this may be a non issue for the motor home people.

Glad yours worked out, thanks for your service, and sacrifices.
Not sure if Ford is the same as GM, but GM can be tuned to show the test as complete and shut off the associated errors. Not sure if this was something not done by 5Star or it can't be done on a Ford ECM.

Also, not sure I understand what testing wouldn't be complete on a stock motor. I can understand if there is a big cam in the motor or something like that where emissions becomes an issue but my understanding was they are tweaking some of the tables, which shouldn't set any codes.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
OP here with an update:
Took about 3 minutes, they didn't require us to pull into a bay, they did it in the parking lot. They went to the rear of the coach (not the toad) and motioned for me to test all the rear lights, then moved to the front of the coach, tested all lights there, wipers, and horn and then recorded current odometer mileage. That was it. Went in the office, showed them my current insurance card. Paid $7 and that was it.
[/B]
Similar to where I am except they crawl under the coach with the motor running and have me move the steering back and forth (looking for bad steering parts) and also check the brake pads.