Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
5 Star Tuner

I have a stock 2000 Coachman Santara, V-10, I've been reading about the 5 Star system and not so much about the Banks. Is the 5-Star a software application and what is a Banks System and what does it do?

tom076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 04:33 AM   #2

Bankspower.com is the website. I have reviewed both extensively for my next project . Banks sells a few different products, which go from a new air intake and filter as more air= more power, all the way up to their power pack which is a mix of new headers,air filter, muffler and exhaust set up which is designed to eliminate the restrictions of the stock system and give more HP and torque . Full system with install cost is several thousand dollars. 5 star tune is a computer program that updates the "brain" of your engine and recalibrates the programming and shift points of your transmission to provide performance gains over stock. While I would want both, I think I would spend the 500 or so dollars on a 5 star tune first. Lots of threads out there on both with a lot of happy ( and a few not so) folks

jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
I do not know anything about the Banks system. I did put a 5star tune in the gas v10 we had. It is loaded through your ob11 connection. Going to Biloxi Ms from Florida on the small hills it would down shift to 2.5 mpg on our scan guage. After installing the tune it would only drop to 5.5 mpg. My fuel per mile went from 7.3 to 8.1.
2008 Thor, Four Winds Mandalay 40G. Cummins 400 isl. Freightliner chassis
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I installed Brazels Ultra-Tune on my previous MH which was a 2006 Ford V10. Improved MPG by about 1 and engine was much more responsive and the transmission had much better shift points. I did it all over the phone and internet in the Midwest after they shipped me the programmer. Just giving another alternative and viewpoint.

2001 HR Scepter 38 PDQ
2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD, Roadmaster Chassis, 8.3 Cummins, 2013 Honda CRV with a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar and SMI brake system
Alan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've installed Mike's 5 Star tune on two motor homes so far. On the MH I have now I was a little unhappy with the hold before down shifting on a trip to Gulf Shores. I emailed him from the CG and he emailed me a revision to the tune. It installed it before heading back north and his adjustment was right on. I'm a big fan
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Official iRV2 Sponsor
I would like to say thank you for the kind words and references! We pride ourselves on customer service and experience. We're not happy until the customer is satisfied with how their vehicle operates.

To answer the OP's question we offer custom software tuning to improve economy, better performance and improved driveability based on our real world testing. We also offer intakes, air filters, exhaust systems etc. Most importantly, we offer unlimited customer support and are happy to answer any questions that you may have.

GOT A V10 RV? Got a Gas or Diesel Truck ? Got a Diesel RV? www.5startuning.com or chris@5startuning.com
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
I installed the 5 Star Tune (actually I think it deserves a 10 star rating ) in our 2013 ACE 29.2 V10. It made an incredible difference in performance, mpg and shifting range. It has to be one of the best "addition/changes" we have done to the MH. HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking to improve performance.

"In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." Unknown
Don and Dale (2015 Tiffin 32 SA with 5ST, CHF, Safe-T-Plus and EEZRV TPMS) RVM106
Don and Dale is offline   Reply With Quote