Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #1

5 Star Tuning & Cruse Control

I've read quite a lot about the 5 Star Tuning device and how it makes shift points better and adds to gas mileage. I believe it's available for the new Ford 6 speed tranny right?

I've also read that a good number of folks turn their cruse control off as they approach a hill to keep the engine from over revving.

My question is, will the 5 Star keep the coach from over revving to the point that the cruise control can be used?
WyoFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes and yes.

I am very happy with my 5 Star Tune on my 5-speed V-10

Go to 5-Star's web site and look at the FAQ, lots of info there. Also, give them a call, good guys who know what they're talking about.

Support - 5 Star Tuning

You might go to the "Ford Chassis" forum and read about what other owners have to say. It's hard to find people who don't really love it.

I think you'll like how it performs.
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #3

Hi Caswelld, Does it allow you to use the cruse control going up hill?
Old 07-21-2016, 04:11 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I've used the Tune for the last 2,000 miles on a twisty route from Illinois to Montana.

I found if the grade is not too steep, the cruise control can be used with the transmission seldom if ever downshifting into 2nd gear.

On steeper hills, like I had today from Sundance WY to Hardin MT, 2nd gear came into play a lot more. That is because the CC is trying to maintain speed and obviously my RV with 3,700 lb toad will not keep at 65 mph on that type grade. So yes, I turned off the cruise and climbed the hills at about 55 MPH comfortably in 3rd gear.
The Tune is going to give you more horsepower and torque but it cannot give you enough extra muscle to get up every hill at high speed.

Bottom line - get the 5-Star Tune and be happy with a much more enjoyable ride, even if you occasionally have to take off the cruise.
KPFulltimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #5

Do we know for a fact that 5 Star doesn't effect the Ford warranty? I've also read folks saying you can easily reset back to original setting before going in for service. But if that's the case that must mean it is against the warranty right?
Old 07-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Do we know for a fact that 5 Star doesn't effect the Ford warranty? I've also read folks saying you can easily reset back to original setting before going in for service. But if that's the case that must mean it is against the warranty right?
Yes, if you take it in with a problem to Ford with the Tune installed they will say the problem is because of the tune and may try to void your warranty.

That's why you always return it to stock before taking it in to Ford. You also do it because the mechanics in a Ford repair facility don't know anything about the tune and how it has adjusted shift points etc.

5-Star Tune has been around a long time in the RV community and when I researched this I did not find any real issues with its' installation and hundreds who are totally happy to get the most out of their equipment...i.e. horsepower Ford left on the table for no apparent reason.

But you have to make the choice if the tune will work for you. My coach is 10 years old so I am not worried about a warranty issue.
KPFulltimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:30 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
I've read quite a lot about the 5 Star Tuning device and how it makes shift points better and adds to gas mileage. I believe it's available for the new Ford 6 speed tranny right?

I've also read that a good number of folks turn their cruse control off as they approach a hill to keep the engine from over revving.

My question is, will the 5 Star keep the coach from over revving to the point that the cruise control can be used?
WyoFree, Our tune is available and ready for the new 6 speed transmissions. The tune will keep the coach from downshifting as often via CC. The vehicle does feature adaptive CC and can override the tune given certain demands. If won't shift as often, but given a certain grade the vehicle can downshift on occasion.
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:37 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
With the tuner (or any aftermarket component), you will still have your full factory warranty. The only reason we recommend resetting to factory is that the tuner vin locks itself to your vin and your pcm code. If either are updated (which only the pcm code will be from time to time) the device won't be able to communicate with the vehicle and will have to be reset.
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:49 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
best money i spent on my coach was my 5STAR tune. as stated -- will it keep the coach from ever downshifting to high REV on the cruise mode --- NO, BUT it does improve the cruise over the stock set up significantly!!! I only kick my cruise off on quick switchback hills or significant grades as mentioned and most the time on rolling or small grades never touch my cruise. I see 3200 to 3500 RPM on those hill situations that i leave my cruise on with my 5Star.

I also got my Banks intake thru 5Star and they provided me with an updated tune with the new intake. Their customer service is FIVE STAR in my book and am very happy with the company. I have no worries about using it and my warranty. I return it to stock on any work i have done on my coach whether it involves the engine or not. It is a simple 5 minute reset and then return to my tune after i get it back. I also enjoy the ability to monitor many more engine parameters while i am traveling.

Thank you 5 STAR
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:16 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ive found that the cruise will hold the gear a lot longer than stock while going up a moderate hill. When your dealing with a bigger hill it will downshift. You get to know what hills it can handle and which ones you need to shut the cruise off. Still the best money I have spent on my coach.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:46 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I also have the Five Star Tune and love it. I have put over 30,000 miles on our 2013 F53 chassis with the Tune. We drive a lot in the smaller mountians of Virginia, Tennessee and North Carolina. I also travel up and down 95 between Florida and Maryland. The Five Star will allow me to use the cruise up and down 95 and will down shift on occasion to 4th gear while maintaining the set speed. It is a nice smooth shift unlike the violent shift it had before to 3rd gear.
In the mountains you have to knock the cruise off because there is nothing that is going to allow you to pull 20,000 plus pounds up a mountain at 65 mph with a V-10. Yes it will pull some hills and down shift and maintain speed but not mountains. I love the 5 Star Tune and if I purchase a new Motor Home it would be my first upgrade
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
On most I routes you can just run in cruise. But into the mountains you way/will most likely over ride the CC as it can not anticipate what you can see ahead, it's acting behind the curve and trying to catch up. You will adapt to the driving and learn as you go. For instance you see a 7% grade coming the cruise does not. Under cruise you get to 45 mph before the shift down now y our playing catch up as the RV will run easily at 55mph. But you can make the shift and ahead of time and hold 55 mph from the bottom. Same down hill you will want to get ahead of the driving curve. And as to over RPM the V 10 is made to run at high RPM 4500 is well with in the safe range, makes noise but it's developing high RPM and torque.

LEN
Old 07-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #13

Thank's 5Star for the specifics. Since I'll be buying a new coach the warrantee aspect is important to me.

And many thanks as well to the rest of you for your great information. I think it's the first time I've been on the forum where everyone agreed!

Thanks again and I too will make 5Star my first purchase!
Old 07-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
WyoFree,

Here's some information that will change how you drive if your F-53 CC works like mine and several others.

This was something that I accidentally discovered while trying to put a 5 Star BETA test through some paces. I was on CC (Cruise Control) climbing a hill and for some reason that I can't remember I hit the RES (RESUME) button and my CC disengaged, (DE) you will notice the green CC light on the dash going off. So I hit the button again and it (RE) re-engaged the CC and tried to resume my original CC speed.

I thought about it for a moment trying to determine why the CC would DE when I hit the RES button and RE when I hit it again. So I tried it again and it worked the same way.

I thought man this is cool. Now instead of tapping the brake if and when it went into afterburner all I had to do was hit RES. I didn't have to stomp on the brake and make the guy behind me think I was stopping for a Moose on the expressway.

I have not been able to determine what facts determine if your CC will work that way. This I much I do know. Not every CC from Ford works that way. I know someone who has a 2007 and his does not. Many others who have tired it report that it does work. It is not mentioned in the manual and very few know about it but those who have found out that it does work really like the extra options.

How do I use it?? When climbing any grade I can might just pedal up the hill when I think it's going to DS or hit RES button turn the CC off and just pedal up the hill not using CC. As I'm beginning to level out I'll just tap RES and it will use the CC to finish the climb.

I'll clue you into something else. Play around with the RES button. There are a few other ways of effecting the shifting when using it. Let me know if you discover anything else that it can do.

TeJay

TeJay