Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #43

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabb E View Post
It is certainly your choice not to spend $500 but for me it was the best thing I have done so far to my moho. The change in shifting is well worth the $'s spent even if it never gave me more mpg, but so far there has been about a 1 mpg increase and seat of the pants tells me that I have more hp. All in all it feels really good.
Appreciate your feedback on the tune Crabb E! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on power, economy and drivability!
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 08:25 AM   #44

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Definitely not a "feel good" thing. It's a legitimate significant performance improvement. You are right that you won't make your money back in fuel savings.
Thank you PbdBlue for sharing your thoughts on performance. We've seen some great power gains with all of the coaches and look forward to sharing more 3rd party test results soon.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #45

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlpcolorado View Post
I love the improvements in my motor home. Well worth the money. Was reminded of the improvements when I recently removed it for a emission test and could not believe the difference in the overall performance and shifting. Love the tuner!
Appreciate you sharing your thoughts tlpcolorado! A quick return to stock will really showcase the changes. Great to hear you are loving the tuner!
Old 12-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #46

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
I purchased a 5 Star for my 2016 Bounder 5 Speed. It significantly improved my cruise control, shift points and HP. IT was worth every $$ to improve the performance of my coach even if i don't get a single MPG more. I also called to ask about a new tune for my Banks Ram air intake, 5 Star said they are an authorized Banks seller and would order the banks system for me and include a free upgrade tune with my kit all for the Banks black Friday sale price. Their customer service is outstanding and they sent the kit to me. After installing it, I spend some time going over the new tune download and setting up the two diagnostic applications so i could download my previous recorded data and compare it to my next download with the new banks air. I HIGHLY recommend anyone with a V-10 to purchase the 5 Star and i am excited to hear from the new 6 speed set ups and what 5 star tune will improve on that set up. Josh at 5 star has been a great help to me !!!
Thank you Dennis Dean for your feedback! We appreciate the recommendation/review and are glad we could not only get you a better driving experience, but also take full advantage of your Banks intake.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #47

Merry Christmas everyone!

We drove from western North Carolina to just south of Greenville Ga last Friday night towing my trailer, and CanAm Spyder. Going 68-70 mph, I averaged 6.5. The rest of the trip to Texas we averaged 6.6.

That's about the same as I was getting before with no tune, going 65 without the trailer and Spyder.

Very happy with the results! Shifting could not be better.

We will be heading back home Sunday. Plan on trying to stay at 65 to see what the economy will be.

That's going to be hard to do, but I really want to see what I will average at a lower speed.
CanAmMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAmMick View Post
Merry Christmas everyone!

We drove from western North Carolina to just south of Greenville Ga last Friday night towing my trailer, and CanAm Spyder. Going 68-70 mph, I averaged 6.5. The rest of the trip to Texas we averaged 6.6.

That's about the same as I was getting before with no tune, going 65 without the trailer and Spyder.

Very happy with the results! Shifting could not be better.

We will be heading back home Sunday. Plan on trying to stay at 65 to see what the economy will be.

That's going to be hard to do, but I really want to see what I will average at a lower speed.
I for one am interested in your findings. Not sure when we are going on our next voyage but I intend to cruise 60-65 and see if I can "keep my foot out of it"
W3SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:28 AM   #49

Filled up before leaving Texas. On the flat land up from the coast to Huntsville we ended up with 6.9 mpg. That's the best we've ever seen since we purchased the unit.

We left Texas Sunday. Tried to get out of the bad weather, but it just wasn't possible.

All the way up 59, till we got on I 20 East we had some heavy rains and very strong cross winds. I 20 East wasn't any better. The cross wind we had on 59 turned into a head wind with intermittent downpours.

Have to say at times we almost pulled over and stopped due to the wind, and rain, but we just didn't feel like camping in the bad weather.

The first fill-up, we averaged 6.3. Not too bad considering the weather. It got even worst after that with the strong head winds.

The next tank was 5.70, and as we headed east and the winds died down some it got a little better. The next fill-up was 6.23. I would say we averaged around 60-63mph most of the trip due to the weather.

The last fill-up Monday when we were out of the winds in South Carolina, heading to North Carolina was back up again to 6.85. It was great to get back home, but it wasn't much fun unloading everything in the rain. Our rain gauge at the house showed a little more than 4 inches. We had a great time, and got home safely, so were thankful.

Overall the tuner did as I expected. Fuel economy has improved, but it's hard to say how much due to my heavy foot, and the bad weather on the return trip. As a guess, I would say it's has increased by probably .4-.5 mpg.

Was it worth it, definitely YES! Even if there was no increase in fuel economy, or power I would still say it worth every penny due to the shifting. It's so nice to be able to climb a hill without the constant downshifting. It's like driving a completely different unit.

If your not really sure if it's for you or not, you really need to find someone that has one and take a ride in their rv. I believe that would be the deciding factor!

USAF Air Force Retired
CanAmMick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10