Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2016, 07:05 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
1. If you are in the city limits it is illegal and if you get caught there is a fine. A lot of counties and states also have laws about doing electrical wiring without a master electricians license. The local government just has to make one phone call to the utility company and you will not have a meter until you pay a master electrician to come in and redo your work.
Places like that are probably few. Nearly all jurisdictions allow homeowners to make modifications and repairs, though a building permit and inspection may be required. And some inspectors give DIY people a hard time, nitpicking stuff they would likely assume was properly done by a licensed guy. In fairness, they are probably right to double-check everything in a DIY job. I've seen a lot of unsafe stuff around. The building codes exist for good reason, and its not just full-employment for electricians and plumbers.

Few insurance policies have clauses that require the homeowner to do things right or smart. Read your policy carefully and understand what may be grounds for denial of claims. There usually aren't many except for actual fraud or felonious activity (like a drug factory).

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
While doing renovations at our home, the electricians installed mine. Took them about one hour and I paid $200.00.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:36 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Places like that are probably few. Nearly all jurisdictions allow homeowners to make modifications and repairs, though a building permit and inspection may be required. And some inspectors give DIY people a hard time, nitpicking stuff they would likely assume was properly done by a licensed guy. In fairness, they are probably right to double-check everything in a DIY job. I've seen a lot of unsafe stuff around. The building codes exist for good reason, and its not just full-employment for electricians and plumbers.

Few insurance policies have clauses that require the homeowner to do things right or smart. Read your policy carefully and understand what may be grounds for denial of claims. There usually aren't many except for actual fraud or felonious activity (like a drug factory).
Actually gary there are two areas that building codes are very strict on in regards to diy. Electrical and GAs lines. I suspect that is because if you do something wrong you are affecting not only your own home but your neighbors. I have had a major house fire. The very first question asked by the insurance investigator. Have you done any electrical work lately ?

There are some localities that will allow a homeowner to do electrical work on a house he owns and occupies. Those localities usually have a test that the homeowner has to take to show he has some idea of what he is doing. The insurance company looks for ways to keep from paying claims. If you installed electrical wiring wrong. That is a big factor in either not paying you or paying a reduced settlement based on contributory negligence
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #18

Having been licensed in the trades, I have had the privilege of overseeing "licensed" HVAC technicians, Plumbers, & Electricians do everything in their power to install or service the work wrong. Yes they are the professionals, however, quite a few do not take the work they do seriously.

Whenever possible I do all of my own work. Never had a fire, A/C broke, or plumbing plugged up.
kkeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
OK for your folks that are advising others to do it themselves let me add more advice.

1. If you are in the city limits it is illegal and if you get caught there is a fine. A lot of counties and states also have laws about doing electrical wiring without a master electricians license. The local government just has to make one phone call to the utility company and you will not have a meter until you pay a master electrician to come in and redo your work.
My pastor purchased a TT. He had a pad poured. Hired a licensed electrician to install the 30 AMP RV service.

The FIRST time he turn the power on to the TT he blew the new TV and Microwave. Why? The licensed electrician did not know 30 AMP RV is 110-120 volts and wired for 220-240 volts.

Since I am experienced and know wire size amp carrying capacity at various voltages, I prefer to DIY.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have built two houses over the last 25 years. I'm not an electrician but had experience in the field. I was allowed to wire both myself, all had to pass building code. My advice is if you are not solid in your knowledge of electrical wiring hire a pro and be there to make sure he understands it's not the same as house wiring. There is a wealth of youtube videos on the subject for your enjoyment.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJet View Post
My pastor purchased a TT. He had a pad poured. Hired a licensed electrician to install the 30 AMP RV service.

The FIRST time he turn the power on to the TT he blew the new TV and Microwave. Why? The licensed electrician did not know 30 AMP RV is 110-120 volts and wired for 220-240 volts.

Since I am experienced and know wire size amp carrying capacity at various voltages, I prefer to DIY.
The amazing part of hooking up 30 amp 120 V outlets to 240 volts is that the manufactures are doing everything that can to prevent it from happening.

Labels on the package, right on the outlet and even colored screws with "L"ine, "N"eutral and "G"round markings.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #22

Agree that unless you have experience or the law prohibits DIY, then have a lic professional do it. However, this doesnt ensure a safe and functional installation. Several years ago my sister had a 30 amp plug installed in her garage for us--worked great for a number of years. Last summer, she wanted a second dryer installed in the garage so she had an electrician add a second plug for us. He apparently understood RV wiring as it was 120v/30amp--problem was the wires were reversed [polarity]. Fortunately, my PI surge protector saved us!!!!!

Morale of the story: you ought to have a professional do the wiring; but you got to have a quality surge protector, just in case!
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #23
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do all my own wiring. I simply go get the permit and talk to the inspector and ask he or she what they require. I then follow their instructions to the letter. They come and inspect prior to turning on any power. Never have had a problem.

I have done this in two different states.

As long as it is inspected the ins co. has no problem.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did my own work (). Coach is 50 amp but I don't need that much energy for driveway storage. House is a ranch with an attic over the garage. Main circuit panel is in the back of the garage. Exterior 30 amp outlet/box, 50 feet of correctly sized wire, and a 30 amp breaker. Maybe $100 and an hour of work.

The further away from the house breaker panel the higher your costs for material and labor. 50 amp will cost more than 30 for materials. Labor rates vary across the country so what might only cost $300 in Sopchoppy Florida could run $900 in Newport Rhode Island.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:40 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
No codes or building permits in our county. Unless the fire Marshall comes in after the fire and specifically identifies the wiring you did as the cause your insurance company can't complain. (Volunteer fire fighter for 10 years and we were strictly forbidden to speculate about the cause while on the fire scene).

I trenched in my own cable with my tractor and installed the RV breaker in the box and outlet next to my RV pad. I do suggest you install a switch next to the outlet because you will be using it alot.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #26

Thank you all for this valuable discussion.
frank
Old 04-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bottom line not all professional electricians understand how to wire for rv's
Check local zoning laws to see if you are allowed to do your own electrical work. If you need to ask how to wire it then hire a professional
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdoc View Post
Who has installed a 50 amp breaker and outlet at your home or garage?

How much? How difficult was it? and How's it working?

Thanks,

frank

Just had one installed today. 50 AMP plus power switch boxes for $1000. I had it professionally installed and tested. Works great powering the RV (all appliances).

How difficult......that is a loaded question. It depends on the location of you home power electrical box, walls and ceiling obstructions, routing distance , conduit material ( if needed). We have ours located on the outside of of garage mounted on the stucco wall.

I recommend having it professional installed by a certified electrician.