Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

50 amp breaker

Who has installed a 50 amp breaker and outlet at your home or garage?
How much? How difficult was it? and How's it working?
Thanks,
frank
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #2

Had one put in for about $1500. It did involve a lot of trenching and covering, but it works fine. Just don't use a GFI breaker. Had to change mine because the rv tripped it when I came in off the road and plugged in. Standard breaker works fine.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1459803675.792289.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1459803693.428051.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  83.2 KB
About $100 in materials. The black cable on the left of the breaker box is what runs to the outlet on the outside of the garage. Use it all the time when I have the mh at the house.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #4

50 amp breaker

Free leftover wire and breaker luckily the panel was on the other side of the wall. It's really ample if you have some electrical knowledge. I think it's a must when you come home from a trip you can run everything while unloading and cleaning up.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I had one installed by an electrician. Even though I could have done it myself I wanted to make sure it was to code. It cost me less than $300 and has been extremely convenient.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For an RV you need a double breaker, 50 amps for each leg. I only need a 30 since our rig is just stored next to the stick house and 3,600 watts is enough for that.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #7

I installed it, purchased a 50a breaker and installed it inter box, ran my wires and ground to my plug in the correct sequence and it works great
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:33 PM   #8

I previously had installed a 30. Bought a motor home that had 50 AMP service. Replaced wire, single pole 30 amp breaker with double pole 50 amp breaker, and the outlet in the RV box. Used the old wire to pull the new wire through the conduit.

I have been wiring my own things for 40+ years and worked in a maintenance shop for a few years back in the 70's.
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several years ago I installed a 30a breaker and outlet, with wire that could handle 50a to make it easier should I ever want to upgrade.

First two motorhomes were 30a, found I usually just have 15a cord plugged in for battery charge and lighting. Now have 50a Motorhome, still don't use the 30a very often - only when air conditioning is needed and the 30a will still do the job.

So doubt if I will ever upgrade/install 50a breaker and outlet.

YMMV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I had mine professionally installed, total cost inclusive of materials was about $800. I have a 30 amp one on y other building dating back to when I had trailers but there isn't a good place to put the class A next to that building. That one was also professionally installed but it was only about $300 as it is right behind the breaker box.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK for your folks that are advising others to do it themselves let me add more advice.

1. If you are in the city limits it is illegal and if you get caught there is a fine. A lot of counties and states also have laws about doing electrical wiring without a master electricians license. The local government just has to make one phone call to the utility company and you will not have a meter until you pay a master electrician to come in and redo your work.

2. If it is not illegal where you live ask your friendly home owners insurance agent if there is a house fire and it started from the 50 amp service you wired in will the insurance cover it. Unless you have a master electrician license they probably will not cover it.

3. I do not have a master electricians license. However I worked in the Navy as an Electronic technician on high power equipment with our own seperate 50kw generators. I worked in a steel mill as an electrician and helped work on our substation that was bigger than a lot of small towns have feeding them. I do not do my own house wiring because of 1 and 2 above.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
For an RV you need a double breaker, 50 amps for each leg. I only need a 30 since our rig is just stored next to the stick house and 3,600 watts is enough for that.
Thats what I needed too. I used the 50 amp plug for convienence so I wouldn't have to install a pig tail, but I installed a double 30 amp breaker.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:45 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Thats what I needed too. I used the 50 amp plug for convienence so I wouldn't have to install a pig tail, but I installed a double 30 amp breaker.
When we bought our stick house we had them change out the electric stove for a gas unit. The double 30 amp breakers are still in the box so I could "re purpose" them. Would have to do a little wiring since the range still needs 120 for the controls and microwave above it.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:46 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
OK for your folks that are advising others to do it themselves let me add more advice.

1. If you are in the city limits it is illegal and if you get caught there is a fine. A lot of counties and states also have laws about doing electrical wiring without a master electricians license. The local government just has to make one phone call to the utility company and you will not have a meter until you pay a master electrician to come in and redo your work.

2. If it is not illegal where you live ask your friendly home owners insurance agent if there is a house fire and it started from the 50 amp service you wired in will the insurance cover it. Unless you have a master electrician license they probably will not cover it.

3. I do not have a master electricians license. However I worked in the Navy as an Electronic technician on high power equipment with our own seperate 50kw generators. I worked in a steel mill as an electrician and helped work on our substation that was bigger than a lot of small towns have feeding them. I do not do my own house wiring because of 1 and 2 above.
In our area the home owner can pretty much do any wiring they want as long as it's AFTER the lead from the power company.