Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Unhappy 50 amp plug ?

It appears that the wiring is pulling out of the 50 amp plug that is hooked directly to my RV. Is that a do it yourself fix or do I need a professional?

evilbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
You could repair it yourself if you have a basic understanding and respect for electricity. Does the cord still function?

Kent and Sally Lunda
1996 Newmar Mountain Aire/Slide 300HP Cummins8.3C
2004 Honda Odyssey (Toad)
Kjlunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can determine which wire goes to which prong on the plug and keep it straight, replacement is pretty easy. The plugs can be had at Home Depot / Lowes.

If you can't keep it straight, I'd simply pull the rig and a new plug to my local electrician's location and offer to trade for $20 or so...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
50 amp plug

The cord still operates, plug too if you wiggle it just so. I do not know much about electricity. I have rewired plugs cut from extension cords or lamp. they are not wired into something else though. Guess I will have to try the electrician suggestion. Thanks.
evilbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Rather than use a generic plug from HD, I'd get one of the plug heads with a handle on it from CW or rvupgradestore.com.

2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Originally Posted by evilbog View Post
It appears that the wiring is pulling out of the 50 amp plug that is hooked directly to my RV. Is that a do it yourself fix or do I need a professional?
It is not all that tough....
If you get an new plug at Lowdespot and you clean the cable back carefully, it will soon be obvious.
The cable will have four insulated conductors in it.
The box will have a strip gage (how much bare copper is needed).
When you look at the opened up plug, the green/ground goes to the different pin,
the white/neutral goes to the center flat pin,
the remaining are red and black to go to the other two pins and it does not matter which.

A lifelong waterman and his bride going dry places for as long as the fuel money lasts.
MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I like those plugs with handles and plan to change mine out. Seems when you get older you need more help
Ernie Ekberg, Bluebird Wanderlodge- 43
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
It's fairly simple but if you have to cut the wire to get some good ends you will need a pair of bolt cutters or a big pair of wire dykes.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
I also believe this should be a simple fix. You said the wire is "hooked directly to my RV". Is it attached to your RV in a junction box of some kind? If it is, MAKE CERTAIN THAT THE EXTENSION CORD IS NOT PLUGGED INTO A ELECTRIC OUTLET.

My guess is that the insulation cover has slipped out of the cord grip in the junction box. The cord grip can be a couple of different designs. It could be the type with a couple of screws that squeeze a clamp around the cable. The second type is a threaded cap that screws onto a fitting on the junction box. If you unscrew the cap you will see a rubber groumet on the cable at the point of entry into the fitting.

After determining what how the wire is connected into the junction box, open the cover and observe the wiring. Take a digital photo or document (a sketch) of what you see.Perhaps all that you need to do is force the cable back into the connector and re-tighten the cable connector.

If there is no room to push the cable and the wire into the connector and junction box you would need to disconnect the wires in the junction box and shorten them. Once the wires are shortened place the wires back into the cord grip and secure the cord. Then reconnect wires in the junction box according to your photo or your sketch.

Double check your connections, replace the junction box cover plug the cord into the 50 amps service and check the operation of your appliances in the RV.
2004 Damon Escaper 4076
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
Be careful of the yellow 50 amp plugs sold at Camping World. The connections insde really don't hold the 4 wires very well and they come lose. Most hardware and electrical supply stories have better both male and female 50amp connectors. What ever you use make sure wires are tight and not close to each other. Maybe some silcone inside after they are together to hold wires apart before puting ends together would be good.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the concept of the Camco Power Pull plugs but see last post, That is what CW sells. (The Yellow ones)

I got a "knock off" version, All the same features save that it holds the wires very securly. Alas, though I know where I got it (Across the road from Thousand Trails "Indian Lakes Preserve, Batesville, IN) I do not recall the make or the name of the RV dealer.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote