Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #15

Required equipment

When we purchased our first coach a fellow owner told us the only NECESSITY was a progressive surge/fault protector. His advise was pay now or really pay later. Plugging in to a 'mis-wired' outlet isn't a matter of 'if' but when, and the protector will save thousands in repair and perhaps a vacation. Get one, a good one and use it every time. It was great advise from a veteran rv owner, we were thankful he offered it and it's payed off 2x - keeping us safe and providing 'proof' to the host site that they had a problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #16

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

I have the much hipped 50 amp Progressive Surge Protector and mine does NOT actively PROTECT against things like Polarity problems, Open Ground, and/or Lost/Open Neutral. It does INDICATE if those problems exist. My very first camping trip with the coach and surge protector we almost caught on fire! The washing machine, both TV's, refrigerator all blew out because there was an Open Neutral condition. There was over $1000 in just parts alone that were damaged. That is when I found out you were supposed to plug in the Progressive Surge Protector first, and if all red lights indicate the post is OK - THEN - plug in the coach electrical cord into the surge protector.

I just checked to see if the new surge protector was any different. Here is what the website indicates:

Quote:
Progressive Industries 50X Amp Portable Surge Guard

Progressive Industries Smart Surge Protectors (SSP) are portable RV surge protectors with the added benefit of a built-in polarity tester.
Polarity Indication.
Open Ground Indication.
Lost/Open Neutral Indication.
Surge Fault Indication.
Progressive does have higher end products like Energy Management Systems that do protect. Just wanted to inform here, and not bash.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:51 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

Progressive does have higher end products like Energy Management Systems that do protect. Just wanted to inform here, and not bash.
Yes, Progressive has a low end and a high end. Most who responded here I believe use the high end. I certainly do . . .
Old 06-19-2016, 04:59 AM   #18
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
In my experience, surges, or voltage that is too high for a short period is rare.

The most common problem is low voltage followed by open neutral problems and surge protectors will not protect you from this.

Only a EMS can protect from most all problems and an EMS will test the power when first plugging in before connecting the RV to the pedestal.

A tester is only good for an initial test, but most power problems occur after hooking up and other campers start using power.

My EMS saved me many times.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:00 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Bigd9 - Correct,

Model comparison chart:
http://www.progressiveindustries.net/#!blank/pu6ux

You want one of the more expensive models that offers actual 'protection'. They have a big transfer switch-like relay which will disconnect power to the coach, should they detect one of the electrical error conditions. You'll hear it 'click' after the time delay specified when first connecting up. (I have my hardwired unit set for the maximum 2+ min delay.) Then you'll hear your coaches regular transfer switch 'click' a couple seconds after the EMS unit, as it now has shore power.

Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Progressive Industries Surge Protector guards against all of the name villains. Don't have to wonder when it's working - you hear the POP. When it kicks in or kicks out.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #21

Progressive surge protector worth the $$$

There were three of us with mhs and went to a campground on the Frio River in June. When we got there, there was no electric to our sites, after about 3 hours we had power....boy but WHAT power we had. I am so glad I decided to get the Progressive EMS-PT50C surge protector, because after we plugged it in we had a voltage of 137, fluctuating with 132 on one leg. Yes Yes and Yes, it did what it is supposed to do, and after alerting the others we all were given other sites which were good to go. It is a good feeling that this things works and protects all of the electronics found in these mhs of today.
16bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My EMS-HW50C protected the MH from an open neutral I had plugged into.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our maiden trip we stayed at one park that the power pedestal must have been bad as I couldn't get any power. It was late and no one available to check it out. The next morning I took out an extension cord and hooked into the next site over. When I left there were two maintenance people tearing the pedestal apart.
At a friends house on the way home I tried connecting to his 20 amp outlet and I couldn't get any power from it either so I assume there was something wrong with it. I then tried another outlet which at least let me charge the batteries and run the lights and TV. But, then I noticed the lights flickering, and did some checking. Seems that circuit was to his shop and every time he turned on his power saw the voltage went down and our power switched to battery. The transfer was so quick we never noticed except for the slight flicker of the lights.
What's scary about it is that we've stayed there before, used the connection I first tried and never noticed that it was bad plus others used it in the meantime.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #24

Thanks for this thread, I had no idea how important a surge protector is! I've been lurking around the forum for awhile and am surprised this is the first thread I've seen on this. Thanks again!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Thanks for this thread, I had no idea how important a surge protector is! I've been lurking around the forum for awhile and am surprised this is the first thread I've seen on this. Thanks again!

It's important to understand the difference between a "surge protector" & an "energy management system" like the PI EMS. An EMS does much more than protect your RV from power fluctuations.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #26

Already said, and said well, any tester will only tell you the conditions of the pedestal when it's connected and before you try to load it down. You really need something that is in line and active all the time if you want to protect your rig's electrical system. By the way, mine is wired BEHIND (on the coach side) of the transfer switch. Your generator is subject to some of the same problems as the pedestal so why not protect from both?
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #27

Jim, Are you saying you can plug the surge protector into the coach end and/or the power hookup end?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Jim, Are you saying you can plug the surge protector into the coach end and/or the power hookup end?

If you're referring about post # 25, I didn't address that issue or option. If you're referring about post # 26, I'll let that or another poster respond.

Again, there is a significant difference between a "surge protecter" and an EMS. I, along with many others on iRV2, recommend an EMS over a surge protecter to provide a higher level of electrical malfunction protection for your RV.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power