Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2016, 07:17 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question 50 AMP power assurance

Seen this on the internet, looks interesting. Has anybody used this and how did it work????

RV Campground Voltage Tester Protects Your RV

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #2

I am not familiar with this product but I have the Progressive Industries surge protector which has the same functions and serves to continuously protect the power supply from the campground supply. On my last trip I was able to show the campground maintenance tech that his supply was faulty. Many others also use Progressive as they have a life time warranty.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:44 AM   #3

Seems a little expensive for a simple tester. If you're handy you can make one for a few bucks. 50-amp Tester

A tester will give you information at the time you plug in but in a campground with possibly hundreds of folks plugged in conditions can change. Low voltage can be a bigger threat than a spike.

I love progressive industries (just my preference). They have entry level systems cheaper than the one your looking and looks to provide all the same information. Additionally it will protect against spikes.

I understand money is always a consideration but my humble opinion is to invest in a quality system to protect against low voltage. Just my thoughts.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/#!ssp-50x/c13uw
Old 06-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #4

X2 on the Progressive Industries product.

It continuously protects the RV when plugged into shore power. It will automatically shut the power off if conditions change in the shore power in a way that would damage the RVs electrical system.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #5

FWIW I would think putting the money towards something that actually did something more than what you can do with a cheap multimeter would make more sense.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
For about twice the $ of the tester you can get the Progressive EMS-LCHW50 [$349.00]

Just plug in the RV park electric & check for the "E0" code, your good to go
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

There is nothing complex about what this is doing, and if it sold in larger quantities it would probably be around $20 or so. It's basically no different than the $5 outle testers available for residential outlets. Just made for a 4-prong, 240v outlet.

$169 seems like a lot for this level of test function. I would put some extra $ with it and get the Progressive or Surge Guard 50A power monitor and get full time protection,

If you just want a one-time test before hook-up, you can make your own for around $50. See 50-amp Tester
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
XX on the Progressive Industries product. On Amazon for $257 EMSLCHW50 hardwired unit.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't know what ours has as it's built in and buried somewhere and I know it works! All the manual says is that it's integrated with the transfer switch.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
1st choice is the Progressive portable or hardwired unit for full time protection. 2nd choice is a good multi-meter to check the pedestal before plugging in. No need for a specialty tool for that.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Using a meter at check in does not do what Progressive Industries does. After being plugged into the campground for 3 days, it got hot and everybody was running their AC's, voltage dropped, PI unit dropped the incoming power so we did not loose devices due to low power damaging them. We were on the inverter until the power came up to specs and the PI automatically transferred us back to CG power. The PI, either portable or built in, is worth every penny you spend!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
xxx Progressive Industries surge protector, works great.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:31 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
Seen this on the internet, looks interesting. Has anybody used this and how did it work????

RV Campground Voltage Tester Protects Your RV

Dave

A friend has & uses one of these. He also has a PI unit. He says he really likes both. He uses the first to test the site before he commits to it. If tester indicates "Ok to plug in", he parks his coach, then his PI protects while at the site. I built my own for far less than his tester cost. I also have a PI. Both have been invaluable to me & my coach. We're both anal retentive, I guess, but he's richer than I!

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure what this does for you after you're plugged into power. We've had our built-in Progressive Surge Protector kick out then wait for a few seconds then back on. Typically this is caused by a power drop but it could just as easily be for high voltage. In either case, it can jack up some very expensive electrical appliances.

So I guess my Progressive is a full time tester, that also corrects for the issue.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power