Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-17-2015, 07:54 PM   #15
Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
Has anyone had a 50 amp supply box installed at home to plug the mh into? I am thinking of having one installed so I can plug the mh into while stored at the brick house (just finished having a driveway for it put in). I am trying to get a rough idea as to cost.
I had a 14'x80' pad poured with high strength concrete and I installed a 50A pedestal. My house is over 30 years old and did not require a ground run so all my 240V runs were 3 wire with no ground at the appliance. I ran #6 wire to a pedestal and (paired) joined neutral to ground at the pedestal. I then ran the ground to a 8' copper grounding rod at the pedestal. On the newer coaches your panel with display Neutral=Ground. Your system is looking for those lines to be joined. Some older parks don't have that and my coach with drop power after a few minutes if it doesn't see that pairing. The pairing is designed to allow any short in the coach to find ground at the pedestal. If your plugged into 50A without ground and neutral being paired either at the pedestal or the control panel and you have a short in your coach, you will become the ground when you touch the coach. This is a bad thing.

2013 HR 43DFT RR10R
All Electric FWS-Tag
FMCA 451687 Monaco Int.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #16
Country Coach Owners Club
Had a 50 amp box and associated wiring installed by a professional electrician last October, cost me $500. I've done lots of wiring but I wasn't going to take a chance on this project as I didn't want my Coach to suffer because of my stupidity.
I recommend having a pro do it for you.

Jeff & Evelyn
2010 45' Country Coach Crane Prairie
CranePrairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:39 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
My Sentiment

Originally Posted by Robrv302 View Post
PLEASE get a reputable electrician to install this. Someone who knows that this is not a 220 "Dryer PLUG". The 50 amp plug on your RV looks like a 220 plug and if they don't understand that, you are in for world of hurt...
That could've been my own answer, too.

I even argued at a cg with a kid who seemed to think we needed 240V in our rigs.

Where this all comes from, as you all have pointed out, is the 30A wiring.

Here is the caution I recall, one that says not to trust certified electricians. It comes from the same folks quoted above, but applies to the 30A.
It is imperative that the Electric Service used for RVís are wired correctly. DO NOT TRUST anyone, yourself, friends, relatives or ANY Professional Electrician. ALWAYS check out all RV Electric Service BEFORE plugging in the first time. The majority of the mistakes and the most damage to the RVís are made with the incorrect installation of the 120-volt 30 amp Service. For some reason people including Electricians just DONíT GET IT when it comes to the 30-amp 120-volt Service. All you need to do is look at the online Forums where RVís were damaged by incorrect installations.

Finding it sure made me feel better! For awhile, you guys had me convinced I'd lost my marbles.

A funny aside: having forgotten the distinction between 50A and 30A, I was at a cocktail party here in the air park, the conversation turned to the subject of an incoming visitor. 'Seems he was bring his own Class A, and was going to park inside one of our hangars. The owner had, in preparation, put an RV plug where he had a 30A outlet for an air conditioner. The fact that I'd forgotten the distinction was thankfully moot: after we talked he went and rewired the plug with diagrams downloaded from RV-oriented sites, preventing nasty damage to his guest's rig.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #18
Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
Has anyone had a 50 amp supply box installed at home to plug the mh into? I am thinking of having one installed so I can plug the mh into while stored at the brick house (just finished having a driveway for it put in). I am trying to get a rough idea as to cost.
Unless you are planning on running both AC units, elect h/w tank and a toaster (+) all at the same time at your house, you don't need a 50amp service. I ran a 30amp/120v for mine, but I don't use much more than 15 amp (or less) while stored.

I used #8 stranded wire good for 50' and a quality rv 30amp rec'p. The rec'p instructions shows exactly where the black (hot), white (neutral) and green (ground) attaches with torque values. Use a good quality 30amp single pole 120v breaker in your box and you are good to go.

I installed my service. Material cost was around 30 bucks, but I had the wire.
Rick and Lynda Smith
2004 NEWMAR DSDP M-4011-SPTN 8.9 Liter Cummins
2011 GMC SLT 1500 4WD CREW toad
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #19
I upgraded my current 30 AMP RV service to 50 AMP RV service yesterday. I already had the RV utility box and conduit installed on side of house.

50' 6-3 w/ground Romex at Lowes was $111
50 AMP RV Receptacle was $9.50
50 AMP Double Pole Breaker was $9.40

Progressive Industries PT50C 50 Amp Portable Electrical Management System was $334 (Optional and will be carried w/MH when traveling).

The Xantrex Inverter/Charger pulls 30 AMPs when bringing batteries up to full charge
The two ACs pull 11 to 12 amps each running (One on Line 1 and One on Line 2).

Most AMPs shown on L1 was 41; L2 showed 13.
2003 Fleetwood Expedition 34W
2000 Thor Hurricane 29D Motor Home
2011 Lance 1050S Truck Camper
JumboJet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
I've kept my MH at the house for the past 3 years (year around) and only plug into a standard household 20Amp outlet. This is more then enough to run the residential fridge during the summer and keep the batteries charged year around. If I need to work on the inside during the summer and it's hot, I just fire up the generator (it needs exercise anyway) and then run my 2 A/C's to keep it cool while working inside.
2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota
2004 Subaru Baja
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #21
Newmar Owners Club
I had a 50amp installed on the side of my garage last week. We were lucky as the electricians were already at our home supporting our renovation project. I paid the young man "direct" and the total cost was $240.00. Although I keep my coach at another location, it's going to be nice to have this option available...especially when we have guests from out of town etc.

2012 Newmar Ventana
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote