Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #1

50 amp rv outlet at home

Has anyone had a 50 amp supply box installed at home to plug the mh into? I am thinking of having one installed so I can plug the mh into while stored at the brick house (just finished having a driveway for it put in). I am trying to get a rough idea as to cost.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

There is no simple answer to that. It depends on what your home load center (breaker box) looks like (available space and power) and the distance to the place you want the outlet. And what is in between.Fishing 3-conductor wire through walls or digging a trench in hard ground can be labor intensive and get expensive, but if the panel is in a handy spot and the outlet not far away, it's probably not too bad. Anywhere from a few hundred $ to a thousand or more.

I had the knowledge to do my own, so didn't have to hire a pro electrician.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question

I hookup to 20 amps at home, just to keep frige on and batterys up! I don't really find the need for more power!

damdannyboy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
damdannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #4

The 50A RV receptacle is $9.99+ shipping from PPL motorhomes. The wire size varies according to length of run, thus wire cost per foot depends on length of run and wire size. Assuming you already have a 200A service entrance and breaker panel, that is the bill of material + misc. fasteners. Labor for a licensed electrician depends on your locale and difficulty of running the wiring and installation. 6-3 Romex is about $2 per foot, THHN is about $1.50/foot but then you must buy metal conduit to house the entire run. In the end I expect they even-out after buying conduit, fittings, and bends.
From that you may determine electrician expenses locally and add-up wire and hardware for YOUR situation. I did mine myself for just under $500 + renting a trencher.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
Has anyone had a 50 amp supply box installed at home to plug the mh into? I am thinking of having one installed so I can plug the mh into while stored at the brick house (just finished having a driveway for it put in). I am trying to get a rough idea as to cost.
I believe mine was about $275. I ran the number eight wire through the conduit myself and bought the outlets (I got two) Just had the electrician make the connect to the outlets and the breaker box.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:39 PM   #6

I ran 6/3 to the garage, installed a sub-panel, and have 50 amp for the MH (plus 220 in the garage for machinery, welder, etc.)

I considered it full DIY, so I am well under $100 for the entire project.

As usual, since you are asking to begin with, it means you should get a few bids to see about a licensed install.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:43 PM   #7

PLEASE get a reputable electrician to install this. Someone who knows that this is not a 220 "Dryer PLUG". The 50 amp plug on your RV looks like a 220 plug and if they don't understand that, you are in for world of hurt. My electrician understood what I wanted because he had a Class A and said right from the start, I'll give you a plug as if you were plugging into a proper camp ground outlet. VERY IMPORTANT.
I'm not good with electricity but I quickly realized what he was talking about when he explained it to me!!!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Monaco Monarch 2009
Old 08-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by debrey View Post
I believe mine was about $275. I ran the number eight wire through the conduit myself and bought the outlets (I got two) Just had the electrician make the connect to the outlets and the breaker box.
I guess I don't understand this? You need 6-3 w/ground for a 50A outlet. What amp outlets did you install?
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
There's some bad advise posted here and without actually looking at your place it's impossible to tell you what you need to do. The best bet is to get two or three quotes from licensed electricians.

Jim Anderson
1998 Tropical
2003 Jeep liberty 4x4
Old 08-16-2015, 10:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
I guess I don't understand this? You need 6-3 w/ground for a 50A outlet. What amp outlets did you install?
Actually you both are correct.
For copper conductors
NEC 334.80 limits the ampacity of type NM cable (ie.romex) to the 60degree rating.
So using the 60 degree column of NEC310.15 you would need #6/3 NM cable for 50 amp.
However, if you use no more than 3 single current carrying THHN conductors in conduit you can use the 75 degree column, so single conductor #8 is suitable for 50 amp (you can not use the 90 degree column do to the ratings of the terminals or devices connected to the wire)
There are of course some other corrections, i.e. length, ambient temperatures, etc that might need to be figured in.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:19 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I'll second that about the bad advice (I've given some!). But I got the right help and then did it myself (correctly I might add) a year or so ago.

The cost for #6 wire was around $3.50/foot, an outlet and weatherproof box (even though I mounted it inside my garage) was around $35 as I recall. I got it all at Home Depot.

If you dare to do it yourself (though it's highly recommended you don't) be extremely careful. And if you have it done make sure they understand it's for an RV: two 120volt 50amp circuits. And phase is an issue.

If you want more technical info I'll let others contribute.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
PLEASE get a reputable electrician to install this. Someone who knows that this is not a 220 "Dryer PLUG". The 50 amp plug on your RV looks like a 220 plug and if they don't understand that, you are in for world of hurt.
I hate to open this can of worms, but an RV 50A outlet is indeed wired exactly like a dryer 50A/220v outlet. The RV plug uses a slightly different receptacle, the NEMA 14/50R.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:02 PM   #13

Here is a good diagram.

http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/50-amp%20Service.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439859742.358869.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	103663
Old 08-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #14
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I hate to open this can of worms, but an RV 50A outlet is indeed wired exactly like a dryer 50A/220v outlet. The RV plug uses a slightly different receptacle, the NEMA 14/50R.
I wonder how many times it needs to be re-explained that the 50 amp 4 prong plug is not the problem, it is the 30 amp 3 prong plug that has 2 hots and a ground for a dryer and one hot, one neutral and one ground for an RV.