Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
50 amp using 30/20 adapter

50 amp using 30/20 adapter to get 45 amps

we do a lot of weekend camping at our local state parks and most only have 30 amp/20 amp pedestals. I saw this on Amazon and was looking for input to see if it would be worth getting. I would like to have the option to run both a/c's if needed.

Camco 55025 RV Power Grip Maximizer 45 Amp Adapter : Amazon.com : Automotive

has anyone used this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If the 20 Amp is a GFCI receptacle this adapter will pop the breaker on the receptacle. If there is a second 30 amp receptacle you can use a 30 to 20 adapter and plug it in there. I have one and when it is plugged this way it works great. Enough power to run both AC's at the same time.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
An adapter like that, if it even works, still limits you to a total of 50 amps whereas a full 50 amp RV circuit actually has 100 amps available.
30 + 20 = 50 amps or 6,000 watts
50 + 50 = 100 amps or 12,000 watts
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfullmer415 View Post
If the 20 Amp is a GFCI receptacle this adapter will pop the breaker on the receptacle. If there is a second 30 amp receptacle you can use a 30 to 20 adapter and plug it in there. I have one and when it is plugged this way it works great. Enough power to run both AC's at the same time.
If you have two 30a receptacles available why not use a special 50 to two 30s adapter. We did that last summer for 6 months and ran everything including two AC with no problems. Yes you only have 60a available instead of 100 but how much do you need?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #5

This is the on I made for 1/2 of the cost to buy. The 30-20 amp came from harbor freight. The 20's had at home. The 50 came from hardware store.
I use with a Fuzion with dual AC's. never had a problem with it. Just have to monitor usage in hot weather.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4202467901.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	517.8 KB
ID:	35524

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4189384142.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	577.0 KB
ID:	35525
Old 03-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
usually at the state parks there is only one 30 amp available- if there are two then it is shared- since we camp more on the weekends there always seems to be someone next to us. thanks for all the replies I think Darrell's idea will work best for our application.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I was getting ready to order the Camco adapter and saw these. what do you think (I need help with elect and want to ask prior to purchase!)
are both the same or is one better for our 50 amp rv's

thanks!

Amazon.com: Arcon 17341 Multi-Max Generator Power Adapter: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Progressive Industries 230-ADTP30 Cheater Box : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 03-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #8

I'm not a big fan of these adapters as the neutral side can become overloaded and would not trip the breaker. Some refer to them as cheater boxes. I know a lot of people use them with no problems. Would they pass an electrical inspection, most likely, not.
Here's the problem as I see it. The current on each neutral is now controlled by the impedance of each the circuits and one of the neutrals could be overloaded. How? So lets say that the 30amp socket has a bit of corrosion on the neutral side, therefore the 15/20 amp socket is going to take up the slack. the breaker will not blow since it is on the hot side. The 15/20 amp neutral side now becomes the side carrying too much of the combined neutral load for the design of the socket. Melts, fire, whatever...
Old 03-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
nicely done adapter. Professional.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #10

They are not the same. The Camco unit uses 1-30a connector and one household plug. The progressive uses 2-30a connecters. I have used the progressive type for years was never had a problem.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The significant point here is about the GFCI, which will trip if either outlet is GFCI protected. I've had one for years and use it a couple times a year, but the GFCI totally defeats it.

I've also been in 30A parks where use of the cheater adapter is prohibited. Basically they think you are "stealing power" if you only paid for 30A. But I've offered to pay extra in those places and they still say NO. Emphatically.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
I'm not a big fan of these adapters as the neutral side can become overloaded and would not trip the breaker. Some refer to them as cheater boxes. I know a lot of people use them with no problems. Would they pass an electrical inspection, most likely, not.
Here's the problem as I see it. The current on each neutral is now controlled by the impedance of each the circuits and one of the neutrals could be overloaded. How? So lets say that the 30amp socket has a bit of corrosion on the neutral side, therefore the 15/20 amp socket is going to take up the slack. the breaker will not blow since it is on the hot side. The 15/20 amp neutral side now becomes the side carrying too much of the combined neutral load for the design of the socket. Melts, fire, whatever...

X2 I dont use them for the same reason.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
50 amp using 30/20 adapter to get 45 amps

we do a lot of weekend camping at our local state parks and most only have 30 amp/20 amp pedestals. I saw this on Amazon and was looking for input to see if it would be worth getting. I would like to have the option to run both a/c's if needed.

Camco 55025 RV Power Grip Maximizer 45 Amp Adapter : Amazon.com : Automotive

has anyone used this?
Can I use my Camco cheater as a 30 to 50 amp plug
So if I'm in a campground with only 30 amps and a gfci on the 20amp, is the 30 amp leg wired the same as a standard 30 to 50 amp
Old 06-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #14

I wish I understood even a fraction of what you guys are talking about with electricity. It makes me uneasy about buying my first RV because I am afraid that I'll burn the damn thing up somehow.
Example: Many years ago my friend and I were trying to wire a snow mobile trailer to his car. Every time we stepped on the brakes one of the turn signals would light up. When we put on the turn signal the back up lights would come on. I called my Uncle who was a B-52 Avionics Maintenance man and asked him what the problem was.
He told me "you have no potential". I answered back that I have plenty of potential but none of it is in electricity. After several minutes of laughing he came over to my house and fixed our problem.
Am I over-thinking all this electrical stuff or do I really need to understand it better before buying an RV and where would a 58 year old man learn about electricity?