Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
What he is describing is a power share that is available with Xantrex/Heart Interface that can be set to limit the amount of amps that the Xantrex will use when charging the batteries. Default on ours is 30 amps. When on 50 amps for an extended period of time, I do set it to 50 amps because we have more than enough power. During the summer when we are traveling, I usually set it for 20 amps if we are on 30 amps, or 30 amps if on 50 and then not worry about it. When plugged into a 20 amp circuit (driveway parking at a relative's place or parking at a repair shop), I set it to 5 amps to just keep the batteries going so don't trip a breaker.

This is not an EMS - it only affects the inverter/converter; doesn't shed power to any other appliance, etc. in the rig.

And to answer the original question, no it doesn't affect how many KWH are used, just the length of time it takes to get it batteries charged up - - which is not long if you are plugged in and staying for a long time and they are at float level.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not real sure what type of equipement the op has or is asking about.... his description seemed too cover both?

Many of the responders. Seem to be losting about their particular rigs as gospel...

Mine (a 2008 monaco) has:

An energy management system, with butttons for 50, 30, 20, and 15 amps. It automatically sets 50 or 30, and I can manually set 20 or 15. This device controls load shedding, how much the rv will take from shore power.

I also have a panel for the magnum inverter/charger. This thing has. A 100 amp charger, and can use a significant amount of the available shore power. In it's ,menu swettings, I can tell it "what shore power" I have, and that will change it's max charge current, which will affect what the ems system will let me run.

On a 20 amp shore power hookup, I cannot run an a/c unless I also select a lower settiing on the magnum's panel.

And yes, when I do that, the charger uses less electricity.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The bottom line is this: IF it is infact an inverter/converter, and the batteries are full, or nearly so, which they should be after 2-3 hours in the park.. NO DIFFERENCE.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a Xantrix inverter with an RC7GS control panel. I can set the charging circuit to 30, 20, 15 or 5 amps depending on how much I want the charging circuit to pull. It has no effect on the amount of shore power available for the rest of the RV other than leaving more for normal use.
When I store the rig at home I set it for 5 amps and leave it connected all the time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter