Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #1

50 Shades of Gray

How come all coaches seem to come in either 50 shades of gray or 50 shades of brown. Doesn't anyone want to see their coach being a bit brighter than Desert Storm Tan or Black Forest Gray? I see lots of interesting floor plan ideas but the exterior of the coaches see to be just more swirls of bland colors.

I would think that some coach maker would want to come up with something different on the outside. Two years ago in Hershey an RV painting company had a coach there that was bright green and black which was really sharp but none of the coach builders seem to have seen that same coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #2

JMHO: Coach manufacturers , like the dark colors , so they have to put more & bigger air conditioners on the rigs to keep you comfortable and of course charge you more for the extra A/C s and heavier wiring.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #3

When we were shopping for a new coach a few years back, what we found were the darker colors. Being in So Cal, I preferred mostly white. We found one coach that we really loved the color of, but not the floor plan. Ultimately, we paid extra to have the coach we wanted delivered from Savannah, Georga, to Bakersfield to get that color. The dealership we picked it up from (a national chain) was not happy that we hadn't purchased from their existing inventory. I explained that for what the thing cost, we were going to get the color we wanted. I fully expected to see our color back on the east coast when we visited. To date, though it is a big name manufacturer's product, we've seen only these 2 coaches with that color. Yet we are very often complimented on how pretty it is. White with some, black, gold & red.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I would prefer beige and whites. A simple paint scheme that could be easily repaired or refreshed.

Already have three different shades of teal/green on current rig. Pretty, but difficult to touch up.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #5

I agree. Being out here in the southwest there is no way I would want a coach with a lot of dark shades, especially over the cockpit. I don't know who the manufacturers are listening to. For some reason there seems to be a feeling that dark shades represent class and sophistication like a limo or something (imho).
Old 05-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #6

like selling a home, they want to look 'up to date, but also stay with neutral palates to appeal to more buyers. Some of us want to stick out in a crowd, and most dont'.
Maybe.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #7

I also plan to be out in the Southwest US, so those dark colors won't work for me either. I'm looking for something predominately white.
99phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
I agree. Being out here in the southwest there is no way I would want a coach with a lot of dark shades, especially over the cockpit. I don't know who the manufacturers are listening to. For some reason there seems to be a feeling that dark shades represent class and sophistication like a limo or something (imho).

I'm in the southwest and I picked custom colors so that I would have a light color over the cockpit. From far away, it's hard to see the different colors that I chose, but I included a closeup. The color of the paint changes depending on the lighting and the angle of view.

In addition, the darker colors show swirl marks easier and that annoys me, hence, the reason I stuck to the lighter color shades with a minor portion for black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Avatar.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	94336   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5010952.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	94337  

Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #9

Beautiful Coach! How hard was it to get Newmar to give you the special paint job?
Old 05-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On the 2004 MADP we just bought the previous owners had remodeled the interior very beautifully, but very neutral in tone and color. It's actually one of the things we liked best; the materials are sophisticated enough to suit our tastes without being so gawdy that we won't be able to personalize it. It basically gives us a blank slate to work from without having to worry about conflicting with the existing bling, which was a problem we kept seeing on almost every coach we looked at.

We called it "Grandma Glam" and it referred to all the swirly-patterned valances, mirrored vertical surfaces and polished brass fixtures (which we still have a couple to replace). That and anything with a paisley pattern of any kind, like borders and wallpaper. YUCK! The only thing we have to do is add some "pop," some visual appeal that will make it interesting and show a little pride-in-ownership.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Beautiful Coach! How hard was it to get Newmar to give you the special paint job?
Thanks!

Anybody that does a custom order through Newmar can pick and choose their colors. Some of the more recent colors that they have used across their entire lineup are on sample metal plaques in the shape of an RV. I picked from those color selections since those were actual paint samples. That being said, they have a wide selection of colors that are available in addition to those. The only thing that you can't change is the pattern for that model year.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:12 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From where I am sitting I can see six coaches or trailers.. ALL WHITE some with graphics..I five ar trailers.. Opps make that 7 SIX are trailers one is a class C... IF I move slightly and look out a different window I will see a class A that is all white,, And I know that in front of it are two trailers, all white. THat is about half the inventory here at this time.

My wife choose the darker colors on this RV..But the roof is white..Very white..Freshly laundered white (As In I washed it this afternoon).
Old 05-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
I agree. Being out here in the southwest there is no way I would want a coach with a lot of dark shades, especially over the cockpit. ....
You haven't lived and experienced luxury and high class until you step inside a brand new $600,000+ DP with a shiny Black and Mocha full body paint job, at high noon in Southern California, sitting on a black asphalt pad on a day where it's 101F degrees.

And, of course, the new coach has the open-only-at-the-bottom 2" with a twist of the knob jalousie windows and there is NO breeze.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I believe it's a West Coast/East Coast thing. Practically speaking East has a much larger customer base. Neither coast understands the other.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote