Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #1

50 to 30amps

Hi,
The campground we are going this weekend only has 30 amp service. I have 50 amp on my Mh. My question is can I connect surge protector with 30 amp adapter. Also will there be an issue to use one AC. I am not going to need 2nd AC due to weather. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, you can connect to the surge protector, then with an adapter to the 30amp socket.

One AC should be fine on 30amp. You'll probably want to turn off the AC if you need to use anything that takes a lot of power, like a microwave. Or some hair dryers.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahakal View Post
Hi,
30 amp adapter. Also will there be an issue to use one AC. I am not going to need 2nd AC due to weather. Thanks
Issue is with 30 amps, and having two a/c's, just converted to 50 amp so that we can use both a/c's. Original owners manual warns of using too much electric, first thing to turn off is water heater, and most other things if you are getting below 105 volts on your meter.

You are not just going down 20 amps, but 70 amps as the 50 amps is at 240 volts and the 30 amps is at 120v.

Still better than a tent
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #4

post above
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
You can use 1 A/C and a microwave and electronics on 30 amp.

Sometimes they have a 20 amp plug in also on the shore power , I made a 30 amp wishbone with a 20 amp plug tied in to make 50 amps.

Good luck,

James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #6

Thanks guys for the response. Appreciate it
Old 07-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimooo View Post
You can use 1 A/C and a microwave and electronics on 30 amp.

Sometimes they have a 20 amp plug in also on the shore power , I made a 30 amp wishbone with a 20 amp plug tied in to make 50 amps.

Good luck,

James
The problem with those, and with "Cheater boxes" (Which feed to 20 amp to one leg and 30 to the other) is most parks these days have GFCI outlets on the 20 amp, I've seen a few that have 'em on the 30's as well. and .. .Well, those cords and boxes are "GFCI testers. guaranteed to make 'em go click.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I know how to get around the GFI circuits .

Safe travels,

James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Yes, you can connect to the surge protector, then with an adapter to the 30amp socket.

One AC should be fine on 30amp. You'll probably want to turn off the AC if you need to use anything that takes a lot of power, like a microwave. Or some hair dryers.
X100. Also find out where the breaker for you site is if it's not already located on the pedestal, not all are. Check the breaker to make sure it actually works, in that when it's shut off it actually shuts off the power to the site, more of a problem if it's not already located on the pedestal. Ask me how I know.

You will need to be very power conscious, I do not recommend you run any large appliance as noted in the quote above which also includes a coffee maker or your water heater if you have it set to electric, while you have the AC on. Just be aware of what you have running. It's a lot different that a 50Amp service, your not losing just 20 Amps your actually losing 70 Amps. Huge difference.
AC and Microwave, etc not good.
AC and Fridge, TV/ Entertainment center and such good.

Bottom line if you don't need it on shut it off.

Hope this helps,
Stewart
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Issue is with 30 amps, and having two a/c's, just converted to 50 amp so that we can use both a/c's. Original owners manual warns of using too much electric, first thing to turn off is water heater, and most other things if you are getting below 105 volts on your meter.

You are not just going down 20 amps, but 70 amps as the 50 amps is at 240 volts and the 30 amps is at 120v.

Still better than a tent
Sorry Dave, just one small correction to you post if I may. It's 50 Amps per leg at 120 volts each. They never combine to add up to 240. In fact if you plug your coach into a 240 plug, say a drier plug, you will quickly let the smoke out of the box. Nothing works after that.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimooo View Post
I know how to get around the GFI circuits .

Safe travels,

James
How do you do that ? do share
Old 07-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Sorry Dave, just one small correction to you post if I may. It's 50 Amps per leg at 120 volts each. They never combine to add up to 240. In fact if you plug your coach into a 240 plug, say a drier plug, you will quickly let the smoke out of the box. Nothing works after that.
Not true at all. The 50amp RV outlet is true 240V. With ground and neutral, just like a 4 wire dryer outlet (except those are usually 30amp per leg). If it wasn't designed for true 240V, then the neutral would have to be double sized, which it is not.

30amp RV outlets LOOK like 240V 3-pin dryer (or more commonly, 240V welder) outlets, but they are not the same.

Your coach may not have any appliances that use 240V, but mine does.

joe
Old 07-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Not true at all. The 50amp RV outlet is true 240V. With ground and neutral, just like a 4 wire dryer outlet (except those are usually 30amp per leg). If it wasn't designed for true 240V, then the neutral would have to be double sized, which it is not.

30amp RV outlets LOOK like 240V 3-pin dryer (or more commonly, 240V welder) outlets, but they are not the same.

Your coach may not have any appliances that use 240V, but mine does.

joe
I can't argue the point because I would rapidly run out of ammunition. My knowledge about electricity is a mile wide but an inch deep. I was trying to relay what I was lead to understand. I have been wrong before, and I suspect I will be again. Just as a point of curiosity what do you have in your coach that runs on 240?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
I can't argue the point because I would rapidly run out of ammunition. My knowledge about electricity is a mile wide but an inch deep. I was trying to relay what I was lead to understand. I have been wrong before, and I suspect I will be again. Just as a point of curiosity what do you have in your coach that runs on 240?
A residential dryer. Stackable Maytag unit. And we're thinking about installing a 240V induction cooktop as well.