Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
50A to 30A question

I have a 30A service at the house and a 50A in the motorhome. So I have to use a converter (2 feet) chord from 50A to 30A. I keep it plugged in all the time. The converter and 50A plug connection is exposed to the elements. Is there some type of cover I can purchase or any DIY ideas?
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #2

It's no difference than you Rv cord made for the elements, just don't let it sit in a water hole. I have the same thing 50amps at home but only 30 at storage carport.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I agree. I have the same set up. I just keep the connections out of puddles.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
It wouldn't hurt to punch a small hole through a freezer bag, snake the cable through the bag, and then tie wrap the open ends of the bag. your connections are made for weather, but I like to do it anyway to keep it nice and dry. Maybe a little overkill, but that's just how I roll...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #5

I tape up the join area with Scotch vinly electrical tape. The other way is to buy one of those cheap throw away sterofoam ice chests from the food store and cut a slot up high just under the lid to get the cable in and out.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
You could put a shield over the connection, but I'd hesitate to wrap it in plastic. That will seal in any humidity and make corrosion happen faster. A cover that allows air to flow freely will prevent moisture from being trapped. A spray of WD-40 on the metallic parts will help keep moisture from the metal corroding, just be sure the rubber or plastic insulation is not going to be harmed by the WD-40. If the outlet is on a wall, putting a 'roof' or upside down bucket to shield the connections might be best.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #7

I have 15-50A and just leave the converter in the storage bay.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The flat storage containers can be used to cover cord connections. Just cut a slot on each end of the container so the cords slide in the slots and put the lid on. Just buy the container for the size connection you have. The container can be use to store the converter in when not in use.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I use a 4inch wide piece of black plumbing pipe from Home Depot and put it over the connection and a brick paver underneath, this keeps it out of the water and the rain/snow off of the connection.
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #10

My electrical bay has a hinged door at the bottom, with a slot for a 50A cord to go through. At home, I just close the bay door with a 14ga cord hanging out of it. I can run one AC with it. The cord gets a little warm, but not dangerously so. If I want to run both ACs, I run the 50A cord through the slot and into my inside garage 50A outlet. I thought they were standard on all MHs. Even my 5er had a door on the side with a slot for the 30A cord to go through.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote