Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2018, 07:01 AM   #71

Op here.

Thank you everyone.

Glad I asked the question. Learned a lot about voltage drop among other things.

I went a ahead and bought this 30', 50amp extension cord, with wire gauge just like what's wired in the coach.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2018, 07:20 AM   #72

Our main 50A cord is 34' long. I made up a 25' 50A extension cord from a regular 50A cord. I also have a 20' 30A extension cord. With adapters I can use any combination of 50A and 30A cords. Of course, with the 30A we limit our use to one AC and shut it off when we use the microwave.
The 30A cord, with a 30A to the 50A plugin to the coach, works really well when it is cold outside. Easier to coil up than the 50A cord and much lighter.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #73

I am the full time host at an older park in the Pacific Northwest and the cord length is becoming a more frequent problem. When the power pedestals were put in trailers and tow rigs were much shorter. As the trailers get longer, and many manufacturers have move the connection to the very back length has become an issue. We offer loaner cables, professionally made, but that does raise the issue of line loss in voltage. The fact that your manual warns you against the use of an extension always raises the issue of voiding any protections or warranties.
Dustoff13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #74

I have noticed that folks are going as far back in on their site as possible. Either to leave room for their towed or tow vehicle, along with the kids bikes, etc.
Quit obviously this then is a problem created by the RV owners and the RV manufacturers. CG and resort owners simply cannot predict every single eventuality. So, buy or make an extension cord if you are one of those who wants to be in their site as far as possible, for privacy or whatever.
The CG operators or owners might not have enough extension cords. Be prepared with the proper cord
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
Wire Size

I have a couple of comments. I guess it's the Boy Scout in me but I prefer to 'be prepared'. I try to anticipate (within reason and common sense) items that we may need to be comfortable in our MH. I carry extra water hose, sewer drain hose and electrical service cable. It's not been a common occurrence but we have encountered having our hose or cable just a few feet too short. We often camp in Forest Service sites that are away from stores that carry such items.

Second, I too am a stickler for following the spec's. I carry an extra 25' #6 extension cord'. This is a screen shot validating my choice.

This is a handy calculator for determining wires size.

Wire Size Calculator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire size calculator.png
Views:	44
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	223089  
TTFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
I have noticed that folks are going as far back in on their site as possible. Either to leave room for their towed or tow vehicle, along with the kids bikes, etc.
Quit obviously this then is a problem created by the RV owners and the RV manufacturers. CG and resort owners simply cannot predict every single eventuality. So, buy or make an extension cord if you are one of those who wants to be in their site as far as possible, for privacy or whatever.
The CG operators or owners might not have enough extension cords. Be prepared with the proper cord
X2 Sometimes we park all of the way forward in a pull through and leave the toad connected. Same potential problem for ALL hookups.
CA Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #77

The only thing larger wire size to carry electricity hurts is your pocket book. You don't want warm wire/cable or low voltage. I don't like to see the voltage below 118 per leg. If it drops to much then you will get a brown out and low voltage certainly doesn't help you AC or Fridge compressors. You are going to have your peak loads when it is hot so prepare for that and as some of the posters have noted you have no idea what you are plugging into in a park.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #78

I'll share we use our 25' 50A 4ga extension cord 6-10 times a season. Always glad we have it, when we decide we'll use it. I do keep the female/male plugged together cords a bit off the ground, and usually tucked under the coach too. Use either a pice of wood or a rock from the area, or will use some of the leveling blocks we have if needed.

Our cord in our coaches electric reeled line, is 30'.

We also carry a 12GA 30' cord, to use when we're outside with our portable induction top. I have added a dedicated 20A CB fed outlet to a bay (The one that came in the coach was 15A, which we use for other items.), don't really need 20A, but I feel better having in available. Before adding this, I'd use the poles 20A line, but found 30' would sometimes not have me where I wanted to be with the induction top. And we also use the 12GA when at 30A shore power, and use it to run a 1500W Portable Heater on in colder climates, reserving full 30A to support the coach.

While on the subject of power cords. Remember to do a periodic cleaning your mail prongs, sand paper, steel wool, emery cloth. And I like to use a bit of dielectric grease to lightly coat the prongs. A good contact, reduces resistance.

Best to all, travel safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #79

Spartan Chassis
I carry a 25ft CAMCO RV 50amp extension cord that is probably 6 ga.. Over the last 11 years I have used it at least two times a year. I usually run it under the MH out in the rain. Very handy and I would get at least a 15ft.
Travel Supreme #40DS01-ISL-400
Jeep Sahara Unlimited-2010
gptexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:33 PM   #80
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
PPL Parts will occasionally have the 30A & 50A extension cords for sale online. Here is a link to their website.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/rv-par...5ddae43eea3de4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Thanks for the link, but these calculators are awesome IF you know the correct numbers to put into each filed. Which I don't.

I'm going to try to purchase a 15', RV, 4 AWG extension cord which I'm finding very difficult to find online.

I can find 15' extensions like this one but not it's not 4 AWG.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-15...FQnzyAod3MECHg
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:48 PM   #81

Dielectric Grease is a lubricant AND an insulator, it does not conduct electricity. This emphasizes a tight, solid connection is required.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:03 AM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTFoley View Post
I have a couple of comments. I guess it's the Boy Scout in me but I prefer to 'be prepared'. I try to anticipate (within reason and common sense) items that we may need to be comfortable in our MH. I carry extra water hose, sewer drain hose and electrical service cable. It's not been a common occurrence but we have encountered having our hose or cable just a few feet too short. We often camp in Forest Service sites that are away from stores that carry such items.

Second, I too am a stickler for following the spec's. I carry an extra 25' #6 extension cord'. This is a screen shot validating my choice.

This is a handy calculator for determining wires size.

Wire Size Calculator
I agree with you 100% and the calculator is the proof. A #4 extension cable would add nothing to help with voltage drop but would ding the wallet a little more.
jupiterjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:35 AM   #83

All of this voltage loss is based on drawing 50 amps on at least one leg.

How many RVers see that much on the amp meters ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
All of this voltage loss is based on drawing 50 amps on at least one leg.

How many RVers see that much on the amp meters ?
In hot weather, easily 45 amps. load management limits it at that number

so if you want to cook, clean, wash while all three AC's are running you tend to use quite a bit until things cool down
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote