Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #85

Water Proof your Extension Cord

Our "traveling group" uses a NEW 10ft. sewer hose, cut in three pieces, one for each of us, to cover our extension cord connection. Just slide the hose over the cord before you connect the two, put a 4x4, six inches long under the hose for elevation and you are good to go. We use our extension cord two, maybe three times a year for a better view, etc. Have even used it last year to stay in a great spot, with a problem pedestal. We just plugged in to the empty spot pedestal, next to us, for three days with no problem.
happynurse27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2018, 05:11 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
PPL Parts will occasionally have the 30A & 50A extension cords for sale online. Here is a link to their website.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/rv-par...5ddae43eea3de4
Make your own, it's not rocket science.

Bazzer
Old 10-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #87

Talking connection box

I have a nice level spot about 40 feet from my 50 amp connection RV guest use when visiting. I have 2 dishwashing tablet buckets the I cut 2 "J"s in opposite sides. I put the connections in the bucket with the cords going through the slots. Turn it upside down and the connections stay off the ground and dry.
pecooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #88

Maybe I'm missing something in this discussion. Standard 6 gauge extention cord, with two current carrying conductors, has a rated current carrying capacity of 55 amps. With a 50 amp load on both lines voltage drop should not exceeds 3% up to 75'. More importantly, the maximum continuous load on a 50 amp circuit should be below 80% which is only 40 amps. The condition of the park power is quite another matter which is why we need a protection device. Bottom line, I have no problem using using a 6 gauge extension cord to reach my power source. If there's a problem its not because of my cord.
Johnasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:48 AM   #89

Winnebago Owners Club
Your not missing anything, as I stated earlier using a larger cable is of no use because the limiting factor is the park wiring is usually a #8 or #6 conductor.
jupiterjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:09 AM   #90
Community Moderator

cords

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Ok, so we just arrived at our CG just north of Tampa. The site they assigned to us—the electrical box—was about 38' away, way in the back on the passenger side. Even if we dragged the cord under the back of the rig to the other side and over to the box...our 50AMP cord is 30' max and wouldn't reach.

I had them move us to another site. The lady said, "oh yeah this happens all the time. We have extension cords we can lend you". I declined their cord offer.

Ok here's my problem with all this:
1) I don't trust anybody else cords to plug my house into even though I'm hard wired with a Progressive EMS
2) When I first tested the box power supply with my tester it also indicated an OPEN ground. She seemed very confused about that and didn't know what that meant.
3) My manual says 3x...on the main electrical page
"WARNING - Do not attach an extension cord to the utility power cord."
4) Normally a warning like this on other types of equipment, if I was to use an extension cord I'd go up to the next size which would be 4 AWG

I have 5 questions to traveling full timers...because they have the most experience and the largest sampling of country wide power supplies
1) CG's, parks or what-have-you....How often do you find electrical boxes out of reach ?
2) How often do you find them on the wrong side ?
3) Do you carry an extension cord with you and if so did you go up on the gauge on that extension cord ?
4) Is using the next gauge up safe to do if I carried say a extra 15', 4 AWG cord?
5) If you do use an extension cord, do you keep the connectors raised and off the ground in case it rains and do you possibly cover them with plastic or something ?

This is the first time we've ever ran into this situation and I just don't want to carry around another 20-25lbs of extension cord and then have find room for it too, if this is a very rare occurrence these days. But on the other hand if it's common, I want to be prepared.

Thanks in advance to my questions and your thoughts...?
In response to the question, yes we carry an extension cord with us. We have 45 ft toyhauler and we even need it at our regular campground. We camp in a Thousand Trails park in Southern Ohio and the power post is about in the center of the site. When we first parked we did fit but the truck did not. So to move the camper back to get the truck in the site we had to buy an extension cord. We also had to use it on vacation this past summer.

I place the cord under the toyhauler behind the wheels, so it is out of the weather.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:38 AM   #91

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterjim View Post
Your not missing anything, as I stated earlier using a larger cable is of no use because the limiting factor is the park wiring is usually a #8 or #6 conductor.
Exactly. Not to mention the fact that if they move you to another site, you may be further away from the main panel feeding the pedestals than you were when using an extension the first place.

FWIW, We have a 50' #6 extension that we use when visiting DW's cousin. They had a 50 amp plug installed for when we vist. No issues whatsoever.

I have a 100' run of #6 from the panel in our house out to our RV building where we are plugged in all the time. No isssues whatsoever.

Y'all are putting way more thought into this than you have to...

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote