Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I used to have a Progressive portable. When I bought my current coach I stayed with the Progressive unit because it works. Only difference is, I now have the hard wired model.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2019, 11:19 PM   #16

Went round and round in my mind whether to go portable or hard wired for the longest time. Finally decided on the portable for simplicity. Progressive 50amp. Haven't used it much yet and yes they are expensive but I've camped in some campgrounds where the power pedestals looked pretty beat up and poorly maintained. Figured it was only a matter of time before I'd get bit and would be spending more on repairs than the cost of the protector.

I decided on the portable for a couple reasons besides plug and play. If I plug in and it detects a problem, I can walk it to another free site and test it, then move if needed. Second, if the unit fails, I can plug in the old fashion way - direct, until its repaired although I understand the new wired in models have a bypass.

At first I worried about a portable unit growing legs and walking off then decided the odds of that are extremely slim. I have a small padlock and have found I can often lock it to the padlock hole on the power box. Won't stop a determined thief, but if someone is that determined, while I'm away I'm gonna lose a lot more than just the surge protector.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:09 AM   #17

If done the right way, you can have it wired so that it is in your power bay, but still easy to disconnect if you want to check a different power pedestal. I just hooked up a 50 amp cord to the power relay (I used a 50 electric range cord ). The range cord plugs into the EMS unit, and with a female plug installed on the power cord, the EMS unit connects with the power cord. It's a rather inexpensive way to have a little additional security for the EMS unit and still have the flexibility of a portable unit.

Link for power cord:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:30 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I see you are new so be warned. The cost of the EMS is pretty reasonable compared to some of the expenses you will be incurring. Rv'ing is not cheap so take a deep breath and get used to it. It won't be long you will be buying all kinds of "expensive" things just because you want them.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:35 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
ProfJedi:

There are as many solutions as there are opinions. Now on our third coach, I decided to go for maximum protection and convenience by building in a Hughes Autoformer (50A). Granted, it's a pricey solution, but in addition to surge protection, it gives you power boosting which protects appliances things like AC and a residential fridge (if you have one). The install in my power bay was a DIY project; kinda of bulky but I made it work

If you consider a Hughes Autoformer, it pays to shop online. We found ours on sale for a couple hundred less than the manufacturer's suggested retail.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:39 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hardwired is nice if you never plan on selling your motorhome or if you really want to buy and install a new one when you do. I think the benefit is minimal over a portable in my situation. I went with the Hughes Power Watchdog 50 amp surge protector with EPO. I can monitor everything on my phone through the Bluetooth connection. It saved me from over voltage issues on one of the legs during our last trip.
DznyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Three years ago when a transformer inside the park took a direct hit for lighting it took out my portable Progressive 50 EMS. After inspecting the Progressive there was large burn spot on the back of the case of the Progressive and matching one on the pole where the lighting strike jumped from the Progressive to the power pedistal. Installing a built in one next to a fuse panel and next to the transfer switch didn’t seem like a good idea to me. I still use an external EMS and I hope to contain the event outside my RV. I also have a surge guard/transfer switch that came with my coach.

Progressive did replace the EMS with new one and the one I sent in was not repairable.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Progressive PTX50 portable. It does it's job. Our has been back to them 4 times. Once for a known issue they had early on with water intrusion and three times because its onboard protection surged so hard it blew out a fuseable link they have in there. So it had saved us from surely being damaged at least three times.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #23

We have a Progressive SSP50XL. About $110. Not sure what additional protection the more expensive ones provide.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #24

Portable unit from PI for us. PI has replaced the unit twice due to water intrusion. Couldn't ask for a nicer company to do business with.,
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Tele View Post
We have a Progressive SSP50XL. About $110. Not sure what additional protection the more expensive ones provide.
yours is a :Surge Protector" only. It is designed to protect from a VERY large inrush of voltage. It will self destruct. It has no ability to turn power off and on as an EMS does. It will read bad wiring and inform you with lights but not sop the flow of current if it is bad. An EMS will stop the flow. EMS will not allow current flow unless all connections are correct.

Surge protector will pass high and low voltages on to your trailer. EMS will not.

EMS average cost $250.00
Old 12-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Progressive EMS-PT50X - it's portable. I keep it in the bay next to my power cord and plug it in on the pedestal at every campground we visit. Without fail.

Twice it warned me of issues that would have been bad news.

We owned a home once that was struck by lightening. It blew out everything - even garage door openers. I don't want the same to happen to my RV. Not lightening, but blowing out every electronic item on the RV.

We sold that house 20 years ago. Our old neighbors told us the house was hit again after we moved away.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #27

Hughes Autoformers RV220-50-SP Voltage Booster/Surge 50 Amp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXL9YJV..._5VX7DbCAJNWAH
Old 12-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #28

$320 for a 50A EMS is not expensive, it's normal.

Curious about that Hughes Autoformer. What is the warranty on it?