Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #1

50Amp portable surge protector - jeez I need a loan to pay for it

OK so I know these things will pay for themselves if I ever have a problem, but wow they are expensive.

So which one are you using? Any problems?

Thanks!
profjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
50Amp portable surge protector - jeez I need a loan to pay for it

Progressive 50A portable, but wired into my electric bay. Had it when we still had the 5er.

Expense is relative. Think of everything that gets zapped if it’s not in place, including the coach/5er/trailer operational circuit boards. Cheap insurance.

Zero problems in 8 years. Saved my butt several times on both 5er and MH.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:51 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If you want a portable unit I would go with the Progressive Industries PT50X. I have the HW50C, the hardwired version of that!

Yes, they're expensive, but so is replacing most everything electrical in your RV ! They protect you against just about any AC problem, not just surges, and have a lifetime warranty!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #4

We have a hardwired 50 amp in the 5er and had a 30 amp hard wired in the class C.
If the cost of the EMS is an issue, then you have two options. First you can call it an investment in a plastic and electronic insurance system for your electrical system, or you can reevaluate your choice of recreation due to the costs.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #5

all good advice so far... 2 other questions...

1) my coach is 50amp and for parks with only 30amp I have a dogbone - can I plug that into the 50amp EMS? Or do I need an EMS just for 30amp too?

2) For those of you who have the hardwired EMS - did you do it yourself? How difficult was it? I'd say on a scale of 1 to 10 I'm about a 7 on the handy scale - could I do it myself?

Thanks!
profjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:42 PM   #6

A 50 will work for a 30 amp hook up, but will show 0 volts for one line ( as I understand it).
Sometimes the biggest battle is accessing where you want to put it. My 30 went into the side compartment where the power cord was installed and I was able to lay in there and work on it, then mount it to the wall. Our 5er has lots of room and cable, but accessing that area will be a challenge as I will have to remove then replace some supports.

It is a 4 wire cable. Cut, skin the jacket back, strip the wire ends, put thru case and into connectors, tighten, mount the case and yer done. Probably many Youtube videos on this and they come with great instructions.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by profjedi View Post
OK so I know these things will pay for themselves if I ever have a problem, but wow they are expensive.

So which one are you using? Any problems?

Thanks!
Amazon is your friend.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
A 50 will work for a 30 amp hook up, but will show 0 volts for one line ( as I understand it).
Sometimes the biggest battle is accessing where you want to put it. My 30 went into the side compartment where the power cord was installed and I was able to lay in there and work on it, then mount it to the wall. Our 5er has lots of room and cable, but accessing that area will be a challenge as I will have to remove then replace some supports.

It is a 4 wire cable. Cut, skin the jacket back, strip the wire ends, put thru case and into connectors, tighten, mount the case and yer done. Probably many Youtube videos on this and they come with great instructions.
The 30 to 50 amp adaptor will power both legs of the 50 amp service, so 120 volts should be detected on both lines.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The 30 to 50 amp adaptor will power both legs of the 50 amp service, so 120 volts should be detected on both lines.
He's right, but just remember you only have 30 amps to work with so you will have to do your own "load management"on your high draw stuff to keep from popping the breaker.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #10

You shouldn't have any trouble installing it yourself, just a PITA working with the heavy wires.

We have the hard wired 50A Progressive and it's saved us several times over the years.

My sister has the 30A model and it just kept her rig from getting 220V from a mis-wired circuit. Electrician thought she needed 220V for her rig.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have the hard wired Progressive 50 amp. Actually bought it on Ebay at a very good price.
Installed it myself, not hard, about a 5 on a scale of 10.

I only bought it after I had a lightening strike that took out my Intellitec EMS system, cost me $450 to replace.

After I installed the surge protector we had had 3 different instances it saved our bacon on the first trip. Who'd a thought.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #12

I'm not sure what you're calling expensive. I picked up my hard wired progressive unit for around $250 on amazon. Here's the unit with a remote display for $270 with prime 2 day shipping. https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I.../dp/B003AN1UA8
Old 12-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We have the 50 amp progressive system hard wired and a remote mounted in the cockpit next to the inverter monitor. That way we can see what is going on from the inside.

It has saved us 3 times so far. So worth the $$$$.

And yes if you are handy you can do it yourself.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 Progressive 50A portable, but wired into my electric bay. Easy job.

It has paid for itself in problem prevention.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote