Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruadair View Post
We're slowly making our way to the Monaco factory service center in Coburg for some warranty work. I recently inquired what they charge for an oil change on our 2014 Bounder with Ford V10 Triton. They quoated $599.95 for a Lube, Oil and Filter. As this is our first motorhome, and our first oil change, I am just curious if this is a typical price for an oil change. For that price I would rather wait until I get back to the house and just do it myself. But honestly I really don't want to do my own oil change if I don't have to. Does anyone have a recommendation for a place for an oil change (and an alignment) between Eugene Oregon and Spokane Washington?
As someone said earlier, maybe a mis-quote? If not that price is INSANE. LOF on F-53 chassis is the easiest I have done on any vehicle in my lifetime. Everything easily accessible, I don't even have to jack mine up. If place has pit it is a few minutes work. Just got special at Autozone, Ford synthetic blend oil and filter for around $30 if I recall. I think $100 is the absolute maximum it should cost, I would expect around 65-75 to be more reasonable.

When I was in the auto service business, we would price oil changes to attract customers, they were minimally profitable but would get cars on the racks and possibly lead to other repairs. Evidently not the approach anymore.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Bottom line: That's about 10 times what a gas coach should cost. It's at least 50% more than the highest I've paid for our DP which uses about as many gallons as yours does quarts.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:51 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post

Since ASV bought Monaco, add to the fact they also own Fleetwood and American Coach. They are changing the Coburg over to a service facility for all ASV Brands of coaches. With talk of them expanding the current facility or relocating to a larger facility.

We are at the Coburg Facility right now, and have seen some Fleetwoods here to have work done.

As for the price on the oil change, I would definitely ask them again. Cause they may not be the cheapest place for labour around, but they are not that much higher than anywhere else
Thanks, Trap90. I know about the ARG acquisition, but failed to connect the dots. :( I think that sort of thing is a good sign for their various brand owners.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Oil change and lube at Speedco on my Cummins ISC-350 was $169.95 last time I had it done!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I just had my coach serviced. 8 gallons (that's right, gallons) of 15W40 Rotella oil (Rotella is higher priced), filters, and fuel filters (these are quite expensive as well) at Alliance Coach in Wildwood, Fl. Total included another minor repair as well. Total was less than $550 including sales tax. $599.95 seems ridiculously high, especially on a smaller engine, and without fuel filters!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #34

Thank you everyone for your feedback. We'll be in Coburg in about two and a half weeks so I'll just wait to ask them in person to confirm the cost for an LOF. Fleetwood is owned by ARG, ARG recently acquired Monaco so their service facility is now servicing Fleetwood as well. When I confirm the price I'll be sure to post it here.
Bruadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #35

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruadair View Post
We're slowly making our way to the Monaco factory service center in Coburg for some warranty work. I recently inquired what they charge for an oil change on our 2014 Bounder with Ford V10 Triton. They quoated $599.95 for a Lube, Oil and Filter. As this is our first motorhome, and our first oil change, I am just curious if this is a typical price for an oil change. For that price I would rather wait until I get back to the house and just do it myself. But honestly I really don't want to do my own oil change if I don't have to. Does anyone have a recommendation for a place for an oil change (and an alignment) between Eugene Oregon and Spokane Washington?
Except for the warranty work (I hate warranties) I think, I'd be plotting another course, if I were you and are ya sure it was a service center and not a mental institution, you called? I mean, this is totally insane, at the very least. Tell ya what, I'll change your oil twice, if you'll change our previously owned Miata, once. A gas coach has to be the easiest thing for changing oil of any vehicle and obviously because of the ease for getting down under it and have done it in some questionable places, other than my driveway. I'm not so sure, I'd even drive it very far, for any price and wasting the fuel, even if it was next to free. I did purchase a pneumatic grease gun from HARBOR FREIGHT, which makes the greasing much easier and with so many fittings on this P30 chassis and if not for getting old, I'd still consider this chore as recreation.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #36
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I have the LOF done at the same diesel repair shop every fall before going south. It's always the same price, $225.00 for a complete LOF with 26 qts of Rotella 10/40. They are particular about the slack adjusters and the U joint. When I took my year old Monaco Camelot back to Colburg for warranty work they were quoting folks the same $600 figure for LOF. I doubt it's a misquote, they just don't want to be bothered.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #37

National RV Owners Club
My guess is at $599 you are paying the mechanic about $200 an hour and $200 for the shop area, about $50 for shop towels, and another $50-80 for misc supplies. Yes, that is a way to much for a service for that vehicle - at least that's my opinion.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #38

there is a camping world that is real close. to Coburg off I-5.
AKrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #39

oil $$$

Are you sure that was not for a lifetime of oil changes?
Old 03-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I have a Mom and Pop diesel shop do mine. I supply the 28 qts of oil (from Sams) and filter, they charge $65 to change it, dispose of it and lube the chassis.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
at cummins in medford oregon 530.00 for a diesel oil change i bought four gallons of rotella synthetic oilo and one filter did it in half hour . 62.00 and got a chance to go under motor home and look everything over brakes air bags ect.
joeguider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguider View Post
at cummins in medford oregon 530.00 for a diesel oil change i bought four gallons of rotella synthetic oilo and one filter did it in half hour . 62.00 and got a chance to go under motor home and look everything over brakes air bags ect.
The best part of doing it yourself.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote