Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #1

$599.95 for an oil change?

We're slowly making our way to the Monaco factory service center in Coburg for some warranty work. I recently inquired what they charge for an oil change on our 2014 Bounder with Ford V10 Triton. They quoated $599.95 for a Lube, Oil and Filter. As this is our first motorhome, and our first oil change, I am just curious if this is a typical price for an oil change. For that price I would rather wait until I get back to the house and just do it myself. But honestly I really don't want to do my own oil change if I don't have to. Does anyone have a recommendation for a place for an oil change (and an alignment) between Eugene Oregon and Spokane Washington?
Bruadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've found them (Fleetwood in Decatur) to be more than fair in their pricing and have to think there is a misquote here from them. I see no reason why Coburg would so outrageously over priced for a LOF.

Certainly not what I would consider paying.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #3

For that? They are insane...

Change the oil yourself for $50 or so with synthetic.

A chassis lube? All you probably need to do is identify your lube points, buy a grease gun and squeeze yourself to a super weekend out with the dear wife...steak every night, for what you'll save.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is Centralia, WA on your way? If so, give https://www.brazelsrv.com/ a call. They did the alignment on my RV 2 years ago.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
as a new DP owner this got my attention. What is the normal acceptable cost for an oil change? Thanks
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
If its the 2014 Ford that the oil change is for then that is way to much money. I change the oil on my F53 with full synthetic oil as well as the filter and lube and it cost about $50.00 or so. Even if you have someone do it for you, it still should be less than $100.00 for a synthetic blend oil change.

You are going to a Monaco factory for warranty work on a Fleetwood coach?
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruadair View Post
I recently inquired what they charge for an oil change on our 2014 Bounder with Ford V10 Triton. They quoated $599.95 for a Lube, Oil and Filter.
WHATTTTTTT???? In my opinion that is utterly ridiculous Move the decimal one place to the left to $59.95 maybe, but not 600 bucks.

I had a Ford V10 in my first RV and it's a simple change - I think about 6 quarts of oil at $6.00/quart, a $5.00 oil filter and maybe $1.00 for grease (one tube will do the chassis probably 10 times). If you went with synthetic oil it would be about $8 to $9/quart but even at that you are looking at a maximum of maybe $60 in parts. That leaves $540 in labor for a 45 minute job which is absurd. It's not a diesel, but even a diesel would not be that much for just the oil change. With fuel filters maybe, but not just for an oil change.

I would say to you "Run Forest, Run!!" (and not toward that service center). I'm in Florida so can't offer any alternatives to you but hopefully someone will.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
as a new DP owner this got my attention. What is the normal acceptable cost for an oil change? Thanks
Maybe for a large diesel with an air filter change!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Wow. Please post a follow up, if you find out this is really their quote for a LOF. Seems a bit steep.

These kind of numbers would send a lot of folks back to the drawing board to recalculate those "diesels cost more to maintain than gassers" arguments.

Just kidding of course.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #10

Am I the only one confused by taking a Bounder to Monaco for warranty work?

As for that price, it has to be wrong-probably based on their assumption that you have a DP.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #11

look up speedco prolly 200 bucks I just changed mt 2014 450 hp cummins isl at a Spartan chasis dealer 329 that was lube and a major inspection and that was high, that 500 plus figure ITS A GAFFF runn
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post

As for that price, it has to be wrong-probably based on their assumption that you have a DP.
ED even if it is a dp that's really high
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #13

As many have said, do your own oil and filter change. My Dp at camping world for OLF is 189.00
Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post

Since ASV bought Monaco, add to the fact they also own Fleetwood and American Coach. They are changing the Coburg over to a service facility for all ASV Brands of coaches. With talk of them expanding the current facility or relocating to a larger facility.

We are at the Coburg Facility right now, and have seen some Fleetwoods here to have work done.

As for the price on the oil change, I would definitely ask them again. Cause they may not be the cheapest place for labour around, but they are not that much higher than anywhere else
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote