Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #71

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Paid a big $49.00 for a oil and filter change (Quaker State regular) + air filter on my Winnebago, Wal-Mart, Mobile Al, but I usualy
do it myself for $25.00 + $12.00 for the fuel filter.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
well..... the primary " Air Filter" for my 1999 Monaco DP cost $ 300.00 from Napa !! So it really does not sound to high when you throw in.... Oil, Filter and labor plus lube !
Now that being said ..... I do all my own work as much as I can. The air filter should last 10 years as long as you take it out and clean it yearly!! Good Luck ! Happy Rving to all
Happy RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruadair View Post
We're slowly making our way to the Monaco factory service center in Coburg for some warranty work. I recently inquired what they charge for an oil change on our 2014 Bounder with Ford V10 Triton. They quoated $599.95 for a Lube, Oil and Filter. As this is our first motorhome, and our first oil change, I am just curious if this is a typical price for an oil change. For that price I would rather wait until I get back to the house and just do it myself. But honestly I really don't want to do my own oil change if I don't have to. Does anyone have a recommendation for a place for an oil change (and an alignment) between Eugene Oregon and Spokane Washington?

David, that sound outrageous. being a good forum member may I offer my services. For you 499.95. I'll wash the windows (all of them) too. Seriously these guys are land sharks!
Aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
We're slowly making our way to the Monaco factory service center in Coburg for some warranty work. I recently inquired what they charge for an oil change on our 2014 Bounder with Ford V10 Triton. They quoated $599.95 for a Lube, Oil and Filter. As this is our first motorhome, and our first oil change, I am just curious if this is a typical price for an oil change. For that price I would rather wait until I get back to the house and just do it myself. But honestly I really don't want to do my own oil change if I don't have to. Does anyone have a recommendation for a place for an oil change (and an alignment) between Eugene Oregon and Spokane Washington?
We just left the factory service center in Coburg and you definitely we're quoted the wrong price. That price was for a Diesel.

The V-10 price is $299.00 while still high, they do go through heck a lot of the coach functions for that price. You do get a lot more than LOF. Also the work is done by an RV tech that understands how coaches should work
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
We are here now at the Monaco Service Center in Coburg Oregon. The original quote of $595.99 for a lube, oil and filter change is in fact for a diesel. The price for a V10 gas engine is $299.99. We don't need an oil change yet so we'll wait until we can find a Ford dealer on our way home when the warranty work is done. And just for information sake, the labor rate here is $120 an hour and the people are very friendly.
Check out Speedco in Aurora, OR just off the I-5. It is first come, first served but the do a great job and are fair in pricing.
Lloydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Even so, who needs this inspect, inspect, inspect foolishness for an excuse to even charge you more?
About half the elderly that go in for an oil change on their car, require brakes or something other, whether they need them or not.
That's why you ask for an itemized list. If all it has is an oil change and two dozen, "check this, check that" then you know what you're getting for your money.

And while I certainly agree with the idea of doing it yourself and/or checking behind the mechanics, I think it's good to remember that not everyone is a former shop foreman/mechanic. Some people are former accountants, bakers or candlestick makers and may not be all that familiar or comfortable doing that sort of work. THOSE people may indeed decide that it's worth it to pay a shop that they trust, to "check this and check that" even though those who are more mechanically inclined think it's a waste of money.

I can't help remembering the frustration of my father who owned a service station for 30 years, then became a shop foreman/service manager at a new car dealership, having to pay someone to work on his car because he had gotten too old to do it himself anymore. There are people out there who just can't do that sort of thing and have to pay others to do it.
JACKAL0PE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #77

I recently asked(remembering this thread) a local HDT repair shop how much for an oil+filter change. They said $549. After I recovered from shock, I thanked them for the information and left. The next day I bought a 5G bucket of Mobil Delvac 15W40 for $69.95_ with a $30 rebate form. New oil filter was $70. So for $100 I change my own oil.
It costs <$20 for supplies for any of my gas engines.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:06 AM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
We just left the factory service center in Coburg and you definitely we're quoted the wrong price. That price was for a Diesel.

The V-10 price is $299.00 while still high, they do go through heck a lot of the coach functions for that price. You do get a lot more than LOF. Also the work is done by an RV tech that understands how coaches should work
Even this is too high unless it includes a Transmission fluid change.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #79

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:

Most sure they do go all over the coach and the number ploy in the automotive industry for finding even more to charge you for, so having said that, one could consider themselves lucky to get out of there for $300 plus.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #80

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am wondering how this came out. I hope the OP comes back to tell us what he did.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #81

Quote:

That is STILL WAY too high! I can have a certified RV tech do a complete once over for $80.

Also, those "Complimentary Safety inspections" are just a way to find other things that they will try to squeeze more money out of you to fix. I would stay well away from that place for everything other than factory warranty work.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
dang, I wish that I was a one percenter
Aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #83
YC1

It could be they had a brain fart and were thinking of a diesel. I would ask them again.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #84
DDQ

Wow!!! I couldn't even fathom that kind of a price. Maybe they quoted a D/P and didn't hear you say gasser!!
DDQ is offline   Reply With Quote