Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
6.5KW Onan LP generator breaker keeping tripping

Recently I started having problems with my generator starting to oscillate. I have found the breaker tripped (1 of 2) tripped, no AC power inside coach. today I had oscillation but had AC power (the Air conditioner also oscillated. I just turned off the generator. Once home I cycled both breakers and restarted the generator and all seemed fine again. I had the surge proctor replaced as it was identified as being bad on the first go around with the generator. The unit is 15 years old and has 408 hours on it. Thanks in advance.

Gene

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #2

By oscillating I'll assume you mean the engine rpm is inconsistent and fluctuating to higher then lower rpm's? If so, we refer to this as "hunting".

Being a 99 model, your generator's voltage output is very dependent upon the engine rpm. If the unit is running too slow the AC voltage will drop which causes the amperage draw by the A/C compressor to increase thus eventually tripping a breaker.

Please post your model number, for now I'll assume it's a BGE/M or NHE/M series:

The can be caused by a few different sources on your generator:
1. Bad governor controller (whether mechanical or electronic)
2. Failing LPG regulator mounted on the generator
3. Failing LPG regulator on the coach LP tank
4. Damaged LPG supply hose from coach LP tank to generator regulator or supply hose from generator mounted regulator to carburetor
5. Vacuum leak in/around carb and intake manifold

If you have a volt/ohm meter check voltages at an outlet when the unit is hunting and when it's not. Check again with both ACs running.

Report back :-)

Old 09-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
1.Governor/controller. ?
2. Failing Regulator, Gen Regulator was replaced a year ago.
3. Regulator on coach, It doesn't have one liquid up to a two stage regulator on gen.
4. Damage line. / Don't smell anything and the generator will run.
5. Vacuum leak,?

Specs
model ,NHM
Volts 120
current 54.2
watts 6800
Speed 1800
trouble shooting guide for circuit breaker keeps tripping/stalling
1.Check fuel, tank was 85% last Friday (had to reset breaker on genset) ran fine for over an hour. had tank filled over the weekend. still had problem (fuel level is not the problem).

Thanks for the responding
Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #4

Can you post the entire model number? I need the SPEC to see if it's a mechanical or electronically governed unit.

1. I'm sure you probably don't have a manometer, but if I were troubleshooting it the first thing I would do is hook mine up to a tap on the regulator and watch flow pressure as the unit is running. If the hunting resulted in the same fluctuations on the manometer then we could look further into the LPG supply.

2. Next look for vacuum leaks in and around the carburetor. Use a spray bottle of water. Remove the air filter and housing. When the unit is hunting, spray a stream of water around the outside of the carburetor where it mates to the intake manifold. If the hunting stops then you've found a vacuum leak - which could be a bad gasket or cracked intake/carb (not unusual).

3. Depending upon which SPEC unit you have, the governor is the next logical item to visit.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
a basic question, do I have to totally remove all AC loads prior to starting the Generator? Heat pump and I have a belly refer box (Which was on) at start up. I will get the model soon, thanks
Old 09-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneandea View Post
a basic question, do I have to totally remove all AC loads prior to starting the Generator?
Normally a good idea. Onan recommends allowing the generator to warm up prior to connecting electrical load. (2 minutes in cold wx) Also possible the circuit breaker is faulty. But that would not cause oscillations...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
its 95 degrees right now later this evening I will get the rest of the info you requested. Not knowing how the circuit breakers are wired its always been the bottom breaker (maybe its weak not many run hours on it though). We are leaving to go to Nova Scotia Thursday this week, I can live with the problem for the time we are gone. Hopefully its the load issue and I certainly don't give it two minutes prior to loading. I will make the changes you mention, get the tag information. Thanks so much, so much to know about so many things. Gene
Old 09-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
My 99 Onan NHM 6500 LP service manual is here: http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/m.../965-0531B.pdf
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do believe the problem is my failure to remove initial loads and maybe the warm up. I have tried several time and had no problems. However just in case here is the infor you wanted.

Model # FA/26445H, Sn # FQ80763515 and it is liquid propane the regulator was replaced year or so ago.

Thanks Gene
Old 09-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneandea View Post
just in case here is the infor you wanted
Model # FA/26445H, Sn # FQ80763515 and it is liquid propane the regulator was replaced year or so ago.
Thanks Gene
Gene
The "VOLTAGE regulator" or the "PROPANE regulator"?

Here is a link to excellent Onan trouble shooting guides:
Troubleshooting and Cross-Reference Guides | Flight Systems, Inc

BTW, when my genset was giving me Flight Systems' "technical department", (717-590-7330), was very helpful.

Mel
'96 Safari, 6.3kw LP Onan

Tags
generator, onan