Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Yes, they may be the same but it will take two men and a boy to schlep them around or lift and position them into place versus the GC-2 batteries.

Hell, the GC2's are BAD enough!

Comparing same size batteries and group batteries, if one weighs more than the other, the heavier one will give you more AH's. It's all a matter of the amount of lead inside AND the quality of construction.

Why do you think that the CG2 batteries are SO popular for using as House batteries in the RV?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
My point exactly Dr4.. My point exactly.. Lower cost (Due to the tremendous quanities of GC2 made every year) and easier to wrangle. In short Best bang for the buck.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #16

There is also the small benefit that 2 6v batteries in series charge better than 2 12v batteries in parallel even of you are wiring them perfect.

It's not really a big difference though....

Old 12-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #17

Thumbs up 6 volt batteries

Thank you all so much for your input, really appreciate it. I decided to go with 2 6 volt GC2 batteries. I was really surprised at the price at Walmart, they wanted $190.- a piece for them. I got them at a local automotive supplier (Muskoka Auto Parts) for 129.99, that's a big difference. You Americans don't know how lucky you are sometimes, Anyway thanks again and wishing you all a happy and safe New Year. Heading for Florida next week, sure hope for good driving conditions!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topflite51 View Post
If you never boondock than one 12V will do fine. In my rig I switched to two 12V's instead of two 6V's. I had a 6V go bad prior to doing so(only a couple of months old) and when that happens you lose your interior lights, water pump, refrigerator etc. This is also why I carry two 12V's. It sure can ruin a weekend. I am looking to enlarge my battery box's and switch to Group 29 12V DC's for a little extra power in reserve.
Lou is correct (next post down) and I've had it happen to me. With 12V so called Deep Cycle batts if one cell goes bad it will feast off the the other batts and destroy them. With Golf cart 6Vs they don't do that. You will only have to replace the battery with the bad cell in it.

Craig Roberts 2006 Newmar Kountry Star KSDP 3910 2002 Saturn SL2 toad
Old 01-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"You will only have to replace the battery with the bad cell"

True: However you must remember that with six volt pairs,, The two six volt batteries in each pair make up one 12 volt battery..

Always think of the pair as a single 12 volt battery..

I mean.. Would you want a 12 volt battery with 3 brand new and 3 4 year old cells? I know I would not.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
"You will only have to replace the battery with the bad cell"

True: However you must remember that with six volt pairs,, The two six volt batteries in each pair make up one 12 volt battery..

Always think of the pair as a single 12 volt battery..

I mean.. Would you want a 12 volt battery with 3 brand new and 3 4 year old cells? I know I would not.
That is true but what he is saying is that you wouldn't have to right away if you couldn't. That is a benefit of running in series rather than parallel.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
That is true but what he is saying is that you wouldn't have to right away if you couldn't. That is a benefit of running in series rather than parallel.
Exactly....
The debate of 1-12V v/s 2-6V batteries will rage on forever between RVers. There are pluses and minuses (no pun intended) of each, but since I have two parallel banks of series wired 6Vs, do I have the best?.., or worst?.., of each.

I remain a staunch believer that the GC-2s are the superior way to go, for many reasons. In either configuration, if you have a functioning engine, generator and converter, a battery failure will NEVER be a life threatening problem.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the end though (And this answers most of the "What do we do different?" type questions) There are no six volt batteries in RVs... Just 12 volt that come in 2 pieces.. Treat those sixes exactly like you would one big 12 volt.[/QUOTE]

This can be a very confusing post to a lot of people and it is wrong. I don't care if the two batteries make one 12 volt cell it is still a 6 volt battery.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Specs to look for

I am getting ready to replace my batteries in my 2004 Damon Challenger. What are the specs to look for? I see AH numbers and CCA numbers. The labels are faded on my current batteries but it looks like there is a 220 on there.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefriar View Post

I am getting ready to replace my batteries in my 2004 Damon Challenger. What are the specs to look for? I see AH numbers and CCA numbers. The labels are faded on my current batteries but it looks like there is a 220 on there.
House or Chassis? There's a BIG difference between them.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Yes, they may be the same but it will take two men and a boy to schlep them around or lift and position them into place versus the GC-2 batteries.

Hell, the GC2's are BAD enough!

Comparing same size batteries and group batteries, if one weighs more than the other, the heavier one will give you more AH's. It's all a matter of the amount of lead inside AND the quality of construction.

Why do you think that the CG2 batteries are SO popular for using as House batteries in the RV?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I agree, in fact I stated the 12 volt same capacity would be heavier.. The two GC-2 size I have now are . Well, I can lift them but I can not install them along, need help for that. (or to be precise needed) they are 230 amp hour DEKA's Made in the USA and all that.. They replaced a pair of 220 amp hour Interstates that had died, Those I could wrangle in and out, but the extra 10 AH was more than I could lift off the ground lying on my back.

I can lift and carry a 4-D (I mistyped 8-D is bigger still 4-D is 230 amp hours) but I'd never be able to put it under the steps.

And there is one more thing..

The Six Volt GC-2 is, I very strongly suspect, the most popular lead acid rechargable battery made.. I mean golf Courses buy 'em by the pallet load for their Golf Cars. Thus due to a little thing called "The Economy of Scale" (The more you make at one time the less per unit it costs to make them) they give you the best bang for your buck.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:45 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my last trip I had to use the aux switch to start the engine. The chassis batteries are finally ready to retire. I don't mine buying or even switching the two chassis batteries that is not too big a deal. On the other had the way my battery compartment is made I have to take at least 2 of the 6 volt batteries out to get to the chassis batteries. Yuck
Old 08-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gee, on mine to get to the chassis battery I crawl in behind the front tire.. To get to the house, Lay on my back next to the steps to remove them, Bend over the steps to service them.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #28

How much are GC 2 6 volt batteries?!? Last time I bought them they were 50$ each. I bought 6 at once from the golf course and the sales guy threw in for free the 6th battery. 250$ for 6 batteries is cheap but that was 7 years ago. They are pretty rugged but battery life also depends on your charger. Remember that the batteries sit way longer then when in use. Storage and maintenance is way more important to longevity then actual use. Buy and use a good quality multi stage charger/ converter. Progressive Dynamics come to mind.
-Paul R. Haller-

Tags
batteries