Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #1

6 volt battery help

I have 4 6v batteries on my New Mar Mnt air. A breaker was tripped and power was off fridge ran down the batteries. 2 of the 6v batteries are at 1 volt each and 2 are at 6.5 v. Should I just plug the rig back in and let the inverter charge the batteries or should I pull the 2 batteries that are at 1v each and charge those separately on my automotive type battery charger? Or is the inverter able to bring the batteries up to full charge on its own? I just don't want to overload the inverter/charger. Hopefully the 2 batteries at 1v each have not been ruined, we'll see.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would guess that your coach does NOT have an Auto-Gen-Start System to prevent the residential fridge from running the batteries down below 12.2 VDC. That would be about 6.1 VDC for each 6 volt battery.

Your best bet is to use an external battery charger to charge them back to full Float SOC and then plug the coach in to keep them at float.

Once you've done that, then a day or two later you can test each cell to see if any damage has been done to the bank of batteries.

If you have, then replace all of them not just the damaged battery(s).

To prevent that from happening again, I would install an Auto-Gen-Start System or some sort of alarm telling you that the power has been disrupted to the coach.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 10-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I am not sure why 2 of those batteries are so low and the other 2 are up to full charge? I would pull the 2 with low voltage out and have them load tested at your parts store to see if they are shot. All 4 batteries should of come down together and all 4 of them should read the same due to they are all tied together. You did not state how old the 4 of them are so maybe you will want to have all 4 of them checked and see where you stand and go from there. I am sure that they would charge back up but there is no doubt that there life and capacity was shortened.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Are all 4 batteries on the house circuit? Sounds like the two that are still charged are on the chassis circuit. I think it would be unusual for the house circuit to be divided using 2 batteries of a bank of four. As you charge the dead ones, check water levels often.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is information on your Newmar battery system.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me put it this way.

The book says: replace batteries.

Experience says: Plug in, Let them charge (NOTE some converters may not be willing to charge 'em, if yours is one of those pre-charge with an automotive "Dumb" charger for an hour or two at around 10-20 amps)

and see what happens. In about a week, Load test 'em.

I've done that a few times. And my 8 year old Inersates are getting close to retirement now (I did it the first time 8 years ago). So they lasted a long time after that gaff.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree with recharging and then checking them - if they appear to recharge ok, then load test and specific gravity to get a good idea of there condition.

Your inverter does not have a low voltage cut-off to protect the battery bank from excessively being drained and damaged?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #8

So each pair has a ,1 volt and a 6.5 volt battery?

If so, you have open or shofted cells.

The 1 volt would be well below 1.75 VPC, discharge below that can cause a reverse voltage status.

The 6.5 reading indicates more towards full charge, so that does not make sense.

So please confirm voltages and if with load.

Consider 4 each 6 volt batteries in two strings.

A and B in string one, C and D in string two.

Tell us what each string is connected to, and the voltage of each battery.

Voltage standing and with charger applied to 12 volt point.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Wait. Something is very wrong. If you have 4 6 volt batteries. 2 batteries should be in series, to make 12 volts. Then the other 2 batteries are also in series to make 12 volts. Then each pair of batteries should be in parallel. If this is how they are hooked up. To my knowledge all rigs are connected this way. While the batteries cables are connected. It's impossible to have different voltages. Unless each bank of the 6 volts are isolated from each other and I have not ever heard of that. But I guess it's possible.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #10

I do not like to make things more difficult than they really are so I'd let the controllers do their job. Plug and play . . You may have to make decisions later but for now, just go on with whatever you were doing, and put the fridge on propane.

Ed
Old 10-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #11

The batteries were low on acid. I fill each cell with acid and let the converter charge them it was charging at a rate of 65 amps then down to 30 and then at float charge. I'll use a hydrometer on the cells and load test them. The three in one caps on the cells is my problem. I was going to buy some single cell caps and forgot. The cables have to be moved on 2 of the batteries in order to check the fluid. Pain in the a$$. I had added some mineral oil to the tops of each cell and it has been some time since I have been into the batteries. That oil sure does help with the acid sulfate on top of the batteries and cable ends. I hope the oil on the battery plates did not effect the performance any but oh well. But if I have to replace them I'm going back to 12v Batteries. These 6v are just to much mess. And I hate battery corrosion or any rust or dirt on our rig. Thank you for your help.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by contrarymary View Post
The batteries were low on acid. I fill each cell with acid and let the converter charge them it was charging at a rate of 65 amps then down to 30 and then at float charge. I'll use a hydrometer on the cells and load test them. The three in one caps on the cells is my problem. I was going to buy some single cell caps and forgot. The cables have to be moved on 2 of the batteries in order to check the fluid. Pain in the a$$. I had added some mineral oil to the tops of each cell and it has been some time since I have been into the batteries. That oil sure does help with the acid sulfate on top of the batteries and cable ends. I hope the oil on the battery plates did not effect the performance any but oh well. But if I have to replace them I'm going back to 12v Batteries. These 6v are just to much mess. And I hate battery corrosion or any rust or dirt on our rig. Thank you for your help.
I am thinking that adding acid to a old battery is not a good idea?????Always just add water.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post

I am thinking that adding acid to a old battery is not a good idea?????

Always just add Distilled water.
In addition to what Palehorse stated, mineral oil on the plates is a death notice for any battery.

Poor maintenance will kill any battery whether they are 12 VDC or 6 VDC. Don't ask me how I know!

You will have a lot less AH's to use from a set of 12 VDC deep cycle batteries versus a set of four 6 VDC batteries.

Your choice, your decision, your coach, do what's best for you.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
You will have a lot less AH's to use from a set of 12 VDC deep cycle batteries versus a set of four 6 VDC batteries.
i am not sure i agree with you on this. check out trojan j185h-ac battery, which is exactly two t-105 serialized. it is 12v with 225ah capacity.
here is its data sheet http://www.batterymaster.com/pdf/tr/...%20J185HAC.pdf

i installed 3 of this, equivalent to 6 t-105. please rationalize what i lost for not going with t-105.

Tags
battery