Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
6 volt or 12 volt batteries

I have limited experience on house batteries one previous motorhome however I thought 6 volt (golf cart) max amp hrs. 4+ batteries. But I am discovering the use of 12 volt in the newer models and some older ones as well. My neighbor has 4 12 volt? Are they better and why

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #2

Today they are virtually the same in spite of what was true a few years ago. I have 3 Interstate, 12V, 195AH deep-cycle batteries. Today some golf carts come with 12V batteries.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:50 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have 4 925 CCA 12V starting batteries and 4 8D AGM 12 V house batteries. Thinking about replacing the house batteries with 8 GC-2 Golf cart batteries. Will need to do some rewiring but cost would be less than half the $500 each for new Lifeline AGM's.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #4

My coach came with 4 - 200A 6 volt wet cell batteries. One battery cracked so Fleetwood put 8 - 100A 12v AGM batteries in their place. Whatever you do go with AGM type if you can. They cost a little more but you can forget about them ( no maintenance.0
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneandea View Post
I have limited experience on house batteries one previous motorhome however I thought 6 volt (golf cart) max amp hrs. 4+ batteries. But I am discovering the use of 12 volt in the newer models and some older ones as well. My neighbor has 4 12 volt? Are they better and why
Many new coaches come with 12 volt marine deep cycle batteries that are not truly a deep cycle battery. A good deep cycle 6 volt golf cart battery will have thicker plates and is rated to discharge and recharge more frequently than the others. Some of the 12 volt marine batteries only show cold cranking amps rather than amp hours. Do not get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the 12 volt batteries, especially if you do not do a lot of dry camping where you run your batteries down and really use them. But, there is a reason they use the 6 volts in golf carts, because they can take a beating and keep in going. As far as the AGM, for me, waste of money. If you run 4 Trojan 6 volt batteries and charge them properly you will have some good battery power.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'm going to get flamed for this, OK.
The major battery companies are now building true 12 volt DEEP CYCLE batteries.
Now with 4 6 volt say 225 amp hour you get 225 amp hour usable with 4 12volt at 195 amp hour you get near 400 amp hour usable at 50% on each set.
The difference is attributed to adding amp hours for parallel and not for series.
I have used both 12 and 6 volt and don't see much different although I normally keep the charge on the upper end.
Cost seems to be with in the same ball park for quality on both setups.
Now I only run two batteries in my C and they are 12 volt.
I see what I believe is a lot of parroting of the older technology without investigating the newer 12 volt DEEP CYCLE systems available.
I would love to see side by side tests not the manufacturers numbers.

LEN
Old 08-18-2015, 09:34 AM   #7

No flame here, but I use the 6 volt type for handling the weight and price point. Are the 12 volt specs comparable to GC2's in size and cost?
Old 08-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The voltage is irrelevant. What makes a difference is whether the battery is designed for deep cycle use or not. 6v Golf cart batteries are excellent deep cycles. Many 12v designs, especially any designated for automobile starting or "marine" use, are not. But if you get an actual 12v deep cycle they are as good as any 6c deep cycle.

The difference is in the internal structure of the battery. It's esoteric, so I won't delve into that here, but the power demand of cranking a large engine is the opposite of deep discharge cycles at moderate amp loads and a design optimized to do one cannot perform well at the other. Compromise designs, e.g. "marine" type batteries, aren't particularly good at either.

6v GC2 golf cart batteries are often the most economical way to get a lot of deep cycle amp-hours. That's because there are a gazillion golf carts needing 6-8 batteries each, so production volume is high. 12v deep cycles are not in high demand (despite the number of RVs on the road), so tend to cost more.

The increasing use of AGM technology in batteries is helping, though. AGM is very effective for & frequent deep discharge cycles, so 12v AGM batteries do well in RVs.

I have written an article on RV Battery Choices - it is available at http://www.doityourselfrv.com/best-r...osing-reviews/
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Are the 12 volt specs comparable to GC2's in size and cost?
The 6v batteries that everybody talks about for RVs are the GC2 and GC2H case size (battery cases are standardized). 12v batteries are usually in the group 24, 27, 30 or 31 case size, which are longer but not as tall as GC2 or GC2H. Which fits best depends on your particular battery tray/compartment size and shape, and those vary all over the map.

I addressed the cost question in my previous message.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
The major battery companies are now building true 12 volt DEEP CYCLE batteries.
Now with 4 6 volt say 225 amp hour you get 225 amp hour usable with 4 12volt at 195 amp hour you get near 400 amp hour usable at 50% on each set.
The difference is attributed to adding amp hours for parallel and not for series.
I have used both 12 and 6 volt and don't see much different although I normally keep the charge on the upper end.
Cost seems to be with in the same ball park for quality on both setups.
Now I only run two batteries in my C and they are 12 volt.
I see what I believe is a lot of parroting of the older technology without investigating the newer 12 volt DEEP CYCLE systems available.
I would love to see side by side tests not the manufacturers numbers.

LEN
When I was looking at options I could not find a true deep cycle 12 volt battery. If there are some out there then I would like to see the comparison of the 6 vs 12 as mentioned. If the 6 volt is the same size and weight as a 12 volt then there must be something going on inside that 6 volt to make it that way, like bigger and thicker plates perhaps.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Trojan makes a full line of 12v deep cycles, in various sizes and types (flooded, AGM & Gel. Their product guide summarizes them:
http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TRJ...dSpecGuide.pdf

Yes, deep cycles have a different plate design, thicker and wider spaced. AGMs & Gels have a different electrolyte style that achieves similar effects.

A 6v and a 12v of the same size do NOT perform the same for the simple reason that the voltage is different. Thus it takes two GC2 6v's to produce about 225 amp-hours of usable 12v power. Two #27 12v deep cycles will produce about the same amp-hours, and also weigh about the same and have the same volume.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post

LEN
I was directing my comment to the above statement. Will a 195 AH 12 volt battery have the same footprint of a GC2.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not all that long ago the 6V batteries had two big draws.
1: Cost: to this day they are the best bang for your buck
2: DEEP CYCLE.. Explained later

12 volt were MARINE/deep cycle (pay attention to case) or STARTING batteries.. not real DEEP CYCLE.

The explanation: DEEP CYCLE are designed to go to 50% Statge of charge (SOC) without damage.

Other types suffer serious damage at that point, in fact Starting batteries taken that low may need replicement the 1st time.

TODAY, in no small part to newer Golf cars that take 12 volt batteries, you can more easily find 12 volt DEEP CYCLE batteries (GC-12 in fact).
They are more expensive up front but in the long run for the house builder may be cheaper.

WHY is that?
Sadly America is getting dumber and dumber.. Where as I understand 12 v/s 6 volts at a level that is nearly instinctive.... Many do not.. Many do not understand that two six volt batteries in series = one 12 volt battery (Size 4D to be exact). So they do things like replace just one and not the other.. or they forget to water them (DISTILLED ONLY) and let them run dry (Which reminds me time to check, DO not think it's time to water but it's time to check) Or they do other things that are wrong.. I've even read of DEALERS installing them wrong.

So it may reduce warranty claims to use 12 volt batteries even if they cost more up front.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #14

Have used both, no problems with either.

Tags
12 volt, batteries