Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #15

If you have the room, consider the Trojan T-125's. Same footprint but a little taller. Last longer than the T-105's.
brucemcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #16

Look into US BATTERY. They make only deep cycle batteries. Usually available from independent distributors who sell to golf courses and marinas and such. They are a major battery manufacturer whose batteries are often relabeled.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My interstate batteries are going out (one test bad, the other test marginal), I looked around and am going to replace them with Costco CG2 batteries. The T-105 may last a little longer but for the price of $83 each I can't beat that.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just got 4 vmax power tanks (GC2 size) in fedex today. Those batteries came fully charged and don't drop in voltage at all on a load test.

Unfortunately, the coach is in the shop for at least 2 more weeks, so I won't be able to get them installed any time soon.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:36 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The O/P's question can be easily answered as can many others by remembering THERE ARE NO SIX VOLT BATTEREIES IN RVs.

Yes, I know.

WHat you have is not two six volt batteries. But two halves of a 12 volt battery.. They do it that way cause a 4D 12 volt is HEAVY and expensive, the pair of GC-2 class six volt are half the weight (each) and less expensive.. But when installed they become two halves of a single 12 volt battery.

Think of them as a single 12 volt and many questions are answered.

How do I charge THEM? (You charge IT (the 12 volt battery) same as you do any other 12 volt. At a max current (in this case) 0f about 60 amps.

Can I change just one of them? (O/P's question) Can you change half of a 12 volt battery? (NO)

Can they be different from each other? Would you want a 12 volt battery were one half was different from the other half?... I thought not.

See how questions go POOF when you think of them as a single 12 volt battery?
Old 01-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
My interstate batteries are going out (one test bad, the other test marginal), I looked around and am going to replace them with Costco CG2 batteries. The T-105 may last a little longer but for the price of $83 each I can't beat that.
I agree.
I like Trojans but the Interstates GC2 from Costco for $83 is a good price. I bought 6 of them last years. I take good care of my batteries so hopefully they will last several years. Never have been a big fan of Interstate to many issues with them in my working days maintaining 25 emergency generators and pump drivers.
BTW, Interstates are made by Johnson Controls the world's largest battery manufacturer and the same company that makes Walmart batteries.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
We have had T-105 and Costco GCII batteries.

Costco is cheaper. The T-105 might last longer.

The length of life depends on your care and use of the battery during its life.
I had 8 6 volt battery's in a motor yacht over the years. T105 as well as Costco.
With good maintenance care I was able to get 6 years out of them. Costco is a little cheaper and way easier to warranty.
41pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ALWAYs replace as pair...my motto.

well, unless you just bought a bad one (say less than 6 months)
Old 01-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Shop price for Trojans

I replaced mine a year ago...I boiled out my old ones because I had a bad circuit board. Once I fixed it, I replaced my batteries. I upgraded from !05s to 145s...same footprint, but taller and I had the headroom. Two things:

The first five places I shopped all quoted the same price. Finally found a golf cart shop that quoted me $80 or so apiece (way better!). They promised they would be new, and fresh...they were...dated the manufacturing date was the month I bought them. So shop!

Secondly, I bought a watering kit from Amazon. Trojan has a great looking one, but it cost more than two of the batteries! I bought the kit from Amazon and have loved it. I don't have to bump my head and use a flashlight to check levels....It has proven to well worth the money.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Agree replace in a pair. If you need more capacity, and have enough headroom, also check the T125 or T145. More capacity, same footprint, if they'll fit and if you want the extra capacity.

And the Crown batteries are getting very positive feedback from many RV'ers and home energy users. Good quality construction, and tight quality controls.

If you are good at keeping the batteries maintained for fluid levels, cleaning posts - then wet is an economical and practical way to go. If you want to install and forget, and your inverter/charger has an AGM setting, you could look into installing a set of AGM's.

Lots of great choices to make, and lots of fellow RV'ers will be willing to help you spend your money the way they think you should!

Best,
Smitty
that's a good one!

beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, battery, replace, ace