Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Just curious here. For some reason I thought that agm batteries come with a chart for how much voltage to charge with and something about maintaining the correct temp for them. Could you have overcharged them. I believe that one of the symptoms of not charging correctly is they lose their ability to hold a charge.

Your sams carries sealed AGM batteries in 6 volt for golf carts that must be cool ours only carry the regular golf cart batteries that are non sealed
How in the world could I control the charging voltage -- I don't think there is a means to dial that in, is there?

Regarding the batteries, I can lay these batteries on their side, and there is no spill. They have to be AGM, but I fell kind of ignorant at the moment -- I forget exactly what they look like or what I bought. memory...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Take them back and have them replaced. Deformed batteries are NEVER a good thing regardless of the cause.

Your charging rate, percentage and amps, should be programmable on your remote inverter panel depending on the type of Inverter/Charger that you have in your coach.

I have the Xantrex/Trace with the RC7-GS remote panel.

When in doubt, check your manual.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 08-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
When in doubt, check your manual.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Yah, I went by the manual, and then called Xantrex -- when I got the "tech" I mentioned previously. He told me to please be quiet and lsiten to what he was saying...
He said that what the manual said was not important -- it's the special procedure he was giving me to follow on the remote panel. I followed it while on the phone, and it did all the things that he said it should be doing, so it was correct according to his instructions.
I'm still skeptical.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I have attached three document for the Xantrex/Trace RV-2012 Inverter/Charger and the RC7-GS remote.

I am assuming that this is what you have since you haven't stated exactly what you do have.

The one document lists exactly how my remote is setup for each setting and it has been that way for years without a problem.

The only thing you most likely will want to change is the Quiet Time settings. I chose 1 minute because if my generator is coming on during the night, I want to be alerted. I can always apologize to my neighbors in the morning and find out why later.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trace RV Inverter.pdf (328.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf Trace RC7-GS Remote.pdf (1.70 MB, 26 views)
File Type: doc RC7-GS Programming List.doc (28.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
We had the same problem with out 96' Bounder. Turned out to the the charging unit, for the coach battery's. The charger had lost its ability to sense a fully charged battery and continued to charge them.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here are some pics of the deformity of the tops of the batteries -- hope you can see the waviness to them. It's very dramatic in person.
Also including a pic of the side of the AGM battery showing the type of battery (Duracel GC2AGM) -- Sam's Club.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130829_131915_320.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	45004   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130829_132304_422.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	45005  

Name:	IMG_20130829_131928_064.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	45006   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130829_131906_903.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	45007  

Old 08-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
That's rediculous, take them back and get new ones.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Haven't you replaced them yet?

I would do that quickly before they EXPLODE!

Sam's Club and Costco are both great about replacing defective batteries. Even if you didn't keep you receipt they have it in their computer records.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
It looks like your battery's have been over charged!! 6 volt batteries are available at, Sears, Walmart, SAMs Club, Costco, Camping World, and interstate.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Definitely, definitely replace them ASAP. They should still be under warranty, but even if not replace them anyway. Then I'd check all the charge settings to make sure they're set properly for AGM. Looks like some serious overcooking to me.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Warranty will not be covered by customer over-charging them, or lack of proper maintenance. I would have the battery charger / power supply checked before i installed new 6 volt battery's in the coach... The same identical thing happened to us in Milan TN
Old 08-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
We have a new-to-us 2003 HR Endeavor 38 PST diesel.
We installed four new 6V sealed house batteries (from Sams Club, I think they are Deltas) about 7 months ago -- the service date on them was about 6 months prior to that.

I run the generator 3-4 hours every 6 weeks or so to keep everything charged. I also had the coach plugged into our house for about 5 months continuously.

Well, I happened to look at the batteries yesterday, and the tops of the batteries are WAVY -- they are deformed, as though something is going wrong with them inside.

The chassis batteries (2-12V, also new and the sealed type, different brand) are NOT deformed. They were replaced at the same time as the house batteries.

What is going on?
Is this bad?
Should I bring them back for replacement?
Is there a problem with my charger?

Appreciate any advice. We're planning on taking a shake-down trip, and I certainly don't want this kind of a problem.
baloo
"Sealed" 6V batteries?
I did not know there was such a thing available at Sam's Club.

I would say the batteries are being overcharged.
Check any/all inverter/charger settings and set them according to the instructions for the batteries you have in the coach.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
In looking at your fotographs I am so amazed at how distorted they are. So i will ask... when you hookrd up the Battery/s did you hook up the + to + from battery 1 to battery 2 -OR- did you hook up the + from battery 1, to the - on battery 2?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wb2IVU View Post
In looking at your fotographs I am so amazed at how distorted they are. So i will ask... when you hookrd up the Battery/s did you hook up the + to + from battery 1 to battery 2 -OR- did you hook up the + from battery 1, to the - on battery 2?
I hooked them up correctly, using not only the pattern of the previous batteries, but according to this schematic attached (the bottom illustration on the page). I'm suspecting a faulty charger regulator.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	House batt hookup 6Vs to 12v.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	45141  

Tags
batteries, house batteries