Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #1

Question 6volt to 24 volt wiring diagram

I have a 2006 Fleetwood Discovery. I need a 6 volt to 24 volt wiring diagram. Thanks for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #2

? MH's systems are 12VDC. Are you sure you do not want 6 to 12VDC?

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have 4 6V batteries that you are trying to figure out? If that is the case you should have 2 sets of 2 each wired in series and then the 2 sets in parallel to give 12V. That will actually give you a little more power than 4 12V in parallel. 24V does exist in busses. I drove a Van Hool charter coach and we had 12V, 24V, and 110AC all in the coach.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyhawk View Post
I have a 2006 Fleetwood Discovery. I need a 6 volt to 24 volt wiring diagram. Thanks for any help.
Safetyhawk!

You probably have 4 - 6 volt batteries, correct? Is your coach on a Freightliner Chassis? If so, see if this link helps. I got this from Googling 2006 Discovery battery and the site is called Justanswer:

Note, the "Aux 1, 2, 3, 4 batteries (all 6 volt batteries) wired this way will give you 12 volts, NOT the 24 you asked for. Also the two other batteries called "main 1 & 2 are 12 volt batteries used for starting the engine.

Also note, the drawing is from 2002 but I would suspect it will work for your 2006.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/mi..._fleetwood.pdf
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #5

The answer to your question is to wire 4 six volt batteries in series. In other words, line them up heal to toe so that you have one negative post on one end, and one positive post on the other end . . . all four battery's are to line up in exactly the same configuration and you end up with three connections to be made between the + and - posts.

After the connections, and if you measure the voltage from each end, it will read 24 (actually higher).

At each connection (wired gap) you will have a jump in voltage. measure the voltage from the end negative terminal and the positive terminal on that same batt and you get a reading of 6 volts, keep the probe on the end negative, but touch the second batt positive terminal and you have 12 volts, next is 18, and end to end is 24.

You could go as high as you wish, for instance, if you had a need for 120 volts of DC, twenty six volt batts wired is series would get you there (or ten 12 volt batts).

Simple huh?

Ed
Who runs a 24 volt RV!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #6

Ed, you are exactly correct. Thats what they do in a 36 volt golf cart. 6 - 6 volt batteries in series. If fact that is how they make a 12 volt battery, linking 6 cells in series to make approximately 12 volts.

I was just a little leery of explaining this when the OP indicated he had a Discovery. I would hate to see that beautiful coach go up in smoke and I be the one who told him how to do it!!

Hopefully he got the schematic I linked to and is a "happy camper" once again.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Ed, you are exactly correct. Thats what they do in a 36 volt golf cart. 6 - 6 volt batteries in series. If fact that is how they make a 12 volt battery, linking 6 cells in series to make approximately 12 volts.

I was just a little leery of explaining this when the OP indicated he had a Discovery. I would hate to see that beautiful coach go up in smoke and I be the one who told him how to do it!!

Hopefully he got the schematic I linked to and is a "happy camper" once again.
I understand, but just because an RV is 12 volt, there is no reason that you cannot have a 24 volt battery bank.

A couple of reasons being that 24 volt water, and/or masticating pumps are just more efficient at 24 volts (especially the masticating pump!). Also IMHO, the 24 volt inverters are better, and run cooler. Plus, there are other advantages that become apparent if 24 volt batt system is used.

For the 12 volt requirements on the RV, tapping into the center 12 volt point is fine but an equalizer should be used to maintain both 12 volt halves of the 24 volt bank. Or a 24 volt to 12 volt DC to DC converter can be used.

Ed

Tags
wiring